+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The ENT works out of two hospitals. The private hospital he works in can do it within weeks, but this will cost us much more money.
    He also works out of a public hospital and does only a few ops a month there. So by being a private patient in a public hospital we halve the fees.
    It's the only way we will be able to pay to get the surgery done.
    I'm not sure where we will get the money for it as it is, but if it's going to benefit my son this seems the best way for us.

Does anyone know how to find out the waiting lists in certain hospitals for ENT?
    Would we have to get a referral to see an ENT in the public system and start all over again if we look to go public, does anyone know?
    Would they take the private ENTs diagnosis and just book a date?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Look i would book in with the private ent but also investigate going on the public elective surgery waiting list which would entail getting a referral from your gp to the ent outpatient clinic at your local children's hospital or other public hospital which does paed surgery. Make an appointment go in take whatever info you have from current Doctor (eg tests) and get assessed. You never know the wait time might be about the same and you won't be out of pocket at all. It's worth looking into.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The system here is so seriously fraudulent .... So the doctor who has told you this needs doing has offered two options: one in a private hospital presumably quicker and one in a public hospital (in Jan) both of which he (presuming ...) will get his full fee for from you ..... Does the child need the operation or not? Grommets are for recurrent infection which effect the child health or/and hearing loss - both of which have long term effects. (The operation last 5 mins btw)

In answer to your questions the surgeon should have told you no1 - but not sure I would trust him - if not then ring around ent departments. The answer to 2 & 3 is normally yes and no as there is no centralised record keeping in Australia .....you have nothing to lose getting a gp referral to the public system seeing how long that takes and keeping this one in hand - does he have a cancellation charge...
    Sorry my blood is boiling esp when it comes to children's health ..... Health care that's is needed should not depend on who can afford it..... Private Heath care should mean you get 'hotel services' and not be the only way to get the care.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post
    The ENT works out of two hospitals. The private hospital he works in can do it within weeks, but this will cost us much more money.
    He also works out of a public hospital and does only a few ops a month there. So by being a private patient in a public hospital we halve the fees.
    It's the only way we will be able to pay to get the surgery done.
    I'm not sure where we will get the money for it as it is, but if it's going to benefit my son this seems the best way for us.

Does anyone know how to find out the waiting lists in certain hospitals for ENT?
    Would we have to get a referral to see an ENT in the public system and start all over again if we look to go public, does anyone know?
    Would they take the private ENTs diagnosis and just book a date?
    In terms of these questions. .in QLD (not sure where you are)...
    You need a referral to the public ent at hospital from your dr. Your dr can write the referral and impact the wait time to a degree by declaring it's urgency.
    Then you'll see ENT and usually audiology and they determine urgency with a category. ..and your wait time is based on that.

Most surgeons also do private surgeries for this in private hospital too. Like you've said. It's pretty normal.
    If it's not urgent it might be worth waiting for public ent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby View Post
    The system here is so seriously fraudulent .... So the doctor who has told you this needs doing has offered two options: one in a private hospital presumably quicker and one in a public hospital (in Jan) both of which he (presuming ...) will get his full fee for from you ..... Does the child need the operation or not? Grommets are for recurrent infection which effect the child health or/and hearing loss - both of which have long term effects. (The operation last 5 mins btw)

In answer to your questions the surgeon should have told you no1 - but not sure I would trust him - if not then ring around ent departments. The answer to 2 & 3 is normally yes and no as there is no centralised record keeping in Australia .....you have nothing to lose getting a gp referral to the public system seeing how long that takes and keeping this one in hand - does he have a cancellation charge...
    Sorry my blood is boiling esp when it comes to children's health ..... Health care that's is needed should not depend on who can afford it..... Private Heath care should mean you get 'hotel services' and not be the only way to get the care.....
    How is it fraudulent? I've worked both publicly and privately, nearly all surgeons work both. Privately they can do as many operations as they want, theatre staff work back and come I on weekends to suit the surgeons needs. This huge expense is paid for by insurance and the patient.

In the public system each surgeon only gets a certain number of theatre hours a week or month. If they book 3 cases for their day and the first 2 take too long the third gets canceled (privately they can just keep going). Everyone is put on a waiting list based on urgency and are seen as soon as possible. Every time a seriously injured/sick person comes in everyone else waits.

Public surgeons are encouraged to offer private patients care as this offers good income for the public hospital and also helps the patient.

None of this is the surgeons fault it is government funding and politics.

I agree people shouldn't have to wait but I think we should also understand we are incredibly lucky to have the health system we do.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Bubintummy  (06-06-2016),JustJaq  (06-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    How is it fraudulent? I've worked both publicly and privately, nearly all surgeons work both. Privately they can do as many operations as they want, theatre staff work back and come I on weekends to suit the surgeons needs. This huge expense is paid for by insurance and the patient.

In the public system each surgeon only gets a certain number of theatre hours a week or month. If they book 3 cases for their day and the first 2 take too long the third gets canceled (privately they can just keep going). Everyone is put on a waiting list based on urgency and are seen as soon as possible. Every time a seriously injured/sick person comes in everyone else waits.

Public surgeons are encouraged to offer private patients care as this offers good income for the public hospital and also helps the patient.

None of this is the surgeons fault it is government funding and politics.

I agree people shouldn't have to wait but I think we should also understand we are incredibly lucky to have the health system we do.
    This. Many of the private consultants at the hospital I work at have longer private waiting lists than public ones as they are in very high demand and the hospital has a very good post-op care reputation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. I get what you're saying.
    I agree that it sucks that if it's a necessity we have to pay for it to be done in a timely manner, but as a PP pointed out we are so lucky to even have this option available.
    I will definitely get my GP to write a referral for the public system then, and go from there. See which one comes first! I have a feeling I know the outcome but I'm going to try.

I wonder if the initial referral that my GP wrote to this private ENT would suffice for the public system?

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. The private sector is propped up by public money. 2. The 'consumer' should know up front the 'wait' and 'cost' of each option 3. Healthcare should be based on need and not on what one can afford 4. How is that particular ENT surgeon governed - how do you know what he charges and why - how do you know he doesn't have 'public' places available but thinks I need a new Mercedes next year ...so the next few people through the door - going to get to go private .......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby View Post
    1. The private sector is propped up by public money. 2. The 'consumer' should know up front the 'wait' and 'cost' of each option 3. Healthcare should be based on need and not on what one can afford 4. How is that particular ENT surgeon governed - how do you know what he charges and why - how do you know he doesn't have 'public' places available but thinks I need a new Mercedes next year ...so the next few people through the door - going to get to go private .......
    I have no words. I have many many friends who are doctors and I'm also married to one, how offensive to suggest that this profession base the care of their patients on material needs. Doctors are not doctors to get new cars they are doctors to help people. They work bloody hard doing their absolute best for their patients as per the oath they take. While like every profession their are dodgy ones it's rare.

For those who don't have health insurance health care is based on need. A kid who will die or have permanent disability gets seen before one needing grommets.

If the op checks with this surgeon or any other they will be informed the exact cost and waiting time for each option, publicly this would be an estimate because of above mentioned issues. It's not a secret.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

amyd  (06-06-2016),Cue  (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sorry I have offended you - these are my personal opinions - I am also a doctor - the oath you talk of is a voluntary declaration with the AMA - i have worked in multiple healthcare systems in the world - and in Australia I have seen the most money orientated behaviour hand in hand with some of the poorest clinical governance - I am not saying everyone is like that but the system is set up for that kind of behaviour to flourish ... If you rely on individuals to monitor - it will eventually fail. Maybe also this is a reflection of the State I am in.

If there is no secret in the cost why is the op asking?
    Why is it no one can quite figure out 'what the gap is going to be?' If it is so transparent - but it is not is it..... I will bow out of this now as obviously I'm a little too controversial ......

Ps I refuse to work privately

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabby For This Useful Post:

Mrs Snowman  (07-06-2016),Radio  (06-06-2016)