To those that live in Melbourne, or who have been to Melbourne and seen the attractions, is it worth going to the Sea Life Aquarium and Zoo in Sydney if you have seen the Melb aquarium and main zoos in Melbourne (and Australia Zoo in QLD)?
We're traveling in late Dec/Jan and im thinking about / jotting down ideas. I've never been to Sydney before (staying in Coogee) so want to make the most of the 6 nights (5 full days) we have.
We love the beach, so half day activities would be great.
Any half day ideas?
We're thinking the Blue Mountains as the only full day trip.
Any advice would be lovely.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 13
03-05-2016 17:40 #1
Sight seeing in Sydney.
Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 03-05-2016 at 17:43.
03-05-2016 19:53 #2
03-05-2016 19:59 #3Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jun 2009
Can't help you with the comparisons on zoos, but if you have the chance, the manly ferry is an awesome day out.
I'd even do a trip by ferry to watson's bay. 2 beautiful days by the seaside.
03-05-2016 20:06 #4Senior Member
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
- Sydney NSW
Just wanted to wish you a fabulous stay in sydney
03-05-2016 20:06 #5
I'm not from Melb but about 3hrs away so visit regularly. We love visiting the zoo, so we would definitely go to the zoo even though we've done Melbourne and others a few times. Sydney zoo has incredible views of the harbour and we loved the bird show and the seal show. I haven't taken the kids to Melb aquarium and haven't been to sea life so can't help there. We only did an overnight in Sydney and we visited the museum for a special dinosaur exhibit, the general exhibits prob didn't compare to Melb museum though we were rushed. We were staying in the city so walked around darling harbour but would prob go to opera house if had more time.
03-05-2016 20:09 #6
Oh and I just read the bit about blue mountains, hubby and I went there on our honeymoon(pre-kids) and it was lovely. It is definitely worth the drive up to where the glass bottom cable car is, even if you don't go on it. The views up there were magnificent.
03-05-2016 20:22 #7
I'm not a zoo/aquarium fan so can't comment on those but if you've seen them in Melbourne I doubt there would be much difference to the ones in Sydney , the view and location would be nicer but you don't need to go to the zoo to experience that!
- spend a day at Manly, get the Manly ferry from circular quay , see the harbour and opera house on the way, spend most of the day at the beach and have fish and chips for lunch then get the ferry back but maybe stop at milsons point and go to Luna Park and grab a burger from Batch Burger ( yummo) for dinner and sit on the harbour foreshore and eat it, then get the ferry back ( which will hopefully be twlight) as the city lights at night are amazing
- check out what the powerhouse museum ( bus or train to central) one morning has on ( we just took DS last month to see the Lego display, wiggles exhibit and steam trains) you only need maybe 2 hours then go either china town for yum cha or Darling Harbour to play on the Darling quarter kids playground and park ( look it up on the website it's amazing) IMAX theatre is there as well
- drive to centennial park for a picnic or breakfast (10 mins from Coogee) and go for a bike ride or horse ride
- blue mountains day trip is a great idea
- Bondi Beach is a must as well as Bronte, Clovelly and Tamarama
- in January there should be tons of family activities on ( Sydney festival ) so check for ideas closer to the time
03-05-2016 20:25 #8Senior Member
- Join Date
- Aug 2014
I'm from Adelaide and I've been to the Sydney and Melbourne zoos and aquarium. I would definitely go to taronga zoo as its beautiful and open and has awesome views over to the opera house. And it's a nice ferry ride over too!
You could catch a ferry to manly and have lunch and walk through to the beach that's a nice trip.
Catch the train up to the blue mountains and use the hop on hop off bus and do some of the walks, long day but lovely.
Spend a day wandering around darling harbour, circular quay, the rocks. Climb the harbour bridge pylon.
So many things to do. Love Sydney!!
04-05-2016 06:26 #9
It seems like if we run out of time, we'll have to book a 2nd trip 2018!
Do we drive to where we catch the Ferri?
Also, is catching the bus to the city and back easy?
04-05-2016 06:58 #10
Following for later
By Phony in forum Movies / Music / Books / TV ChatReplies: 193Last Post: 03-01-2017, 19:20
By bambico81 in forum Premmie babiesReplies: 6Last Post: 29-04-2016, 10:11
By MamaEve in forum Breastfeeding SupportReplies: 2Last Post: 06-04-2016, 19:21
Life FertilityLife Fertility Clinic is a boutique fertility clinic located in Spring Hill, Brisbane. Our dedicated fertility and IVF ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
IVF Babies due August/Sept/Oct' 16 #4pregnancy and babies through IVF
I am... #20General Chat
Wdyt- creepy postieGeneral Chat
Bold and beautiful #4Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
Homework - is it necessary?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
IVF babies due March/April/May 2017#2pregnancy and babies through IVF
what method do you use to track your financesFamily Finances