+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    do it! You only live once!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are thinking of doing this in a few years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    I'd consider it esp as the kids are young and it'll be a valued education for them while they are growing up to be adults etc. My folks just drove up the red centre and met a family that has been doing this for there entire marriage. They have 11 kids I think mum said they earn money by going to touristy spot and giving camel rides and have merchandise to sell etc all the kids are home schooled
    Yes we want to do it before kids start school. End up back in Adelaide then start our own business that's plan anyway im sick of thinking we need what everyone else has EG bigger house etc DS doesn't thrive at home he likes outdoors and DD is very lazy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do it! I would if I could!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Buying a Caravan and Hitting the Road?

We are doing this next year! Our DS will turn 2 in Feb, DD will be 4 in March and we head off after the school holidays in April. We had always intended to do such a trip when the kids were primary school aged but last year while stuck in a bit of a SAHM with a husband who is always working and stressed rut I questioned what the heck we were waiting for... The time is now! Kids are not at school, no weekend sport commitments and a husband who desperately needs to disconnect from all things work before it consumed him completely. So I planted a seed and by the next day it was so!

By good fortune it so happens that DH has a mountain of annual leave owing to him (refer to my previous point about him needing to disconnect from work!!!) and his long service leave will fall due while we are away. So basically we will have 6.5 months travelling around Australia whilst maintaining his salary.

We personally have gone all out and purchased a wonderful van which has all the things a family will need - bunks, full ensuite (with nice deep shower recess to double as a bath), washing machine etc and lucky again that DH's work vehicle is capable of towing our beast, and he is allowed to use it for the trip

We have had the van for a few months and spend as many weekends in it either at home or on short trips away. The kids are adjusting well. DD (currently 3.5) is a delight and has no trouble adjusting to van life. DS (currently 20 months) is a bit more hit and miss whenever we first go away but he always settles into the groove so I think while we will have some very trying times, especially early on, I am confident they will both cope with all that the trip will be with ease.

As someone who got to the point of throwing caution to the wind and did (or is doing) so, then of course I am all for you doing the same!

Another great website to look up is Expedition Australia. Steve and his family spent about 18 months on the road with a camper trailer. The kids were roughly 2 and 4 when they set out. They made a wonderful DVD of their adventure which you can buy through his website. It is one of the first things we did when we made our decision and we enjoyed it thouroughly. Wonderfully inspiring for anyone wanting to hit the road with kids (and they were on a tight budget), and beyond that, it was just an entertaining series - great for family viewing.

We will be blogging/FB/Insta under Our Big Lap... Still setting it all up now (no time with 2 toddlers and a husband always at work lol)

Hope to see lots of you on the road!!!

ETA: The Expedition Australia website also has a great spreadsheet you can download to help with guesstimating/planning expenses. Steve is also very helpful if you ever drop him a line with a question or two
    Last edited by zalimama; 24-10-2016 at 20:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do it! You only live once, and better to live a life filled with no regrets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We did this when my siblings and I were kids (14, 10, 8 & 4yrs) but only for 3 months around Aus. Was literally one of the best experiences of my life! I'd love to do it with my kids when they're old enough to appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zalimama View Post
    We are doing this next year! Our DS will turn 2 in Feb, DD will be 4 in March and we head off after the school holidays in April. We had always intended to do such a trip when the kids were primary school aged but last year while stuck in a bit of a SAHM with a husband who is always working and stressed rut I questioned what the heck we were waiting for... The time is now! Kids are not at school, no weekend sport commitments and a husband who desperately needs to disconnect from all things work before it consumed him completely. So I planted a seed and by the next day it was so!

By good fortune it so happens that DH has a mountain of annual leave owing to him (refer to my previous point about him needing to disconnect from work!!!) and his long service leave will fall due while we are away. So basically we will have 6.5 months travelling around Australia whilst maintaining his salary.

We personally have gone all out and purchased a wonderful van which has all the things a family will need - bunks, full ensuite (with nice deep shower recess to double as a bath), washing machine etc and lucky again that DH's work vehicle is capable of towing our beast, and he is allowed to use it for the trip

We have had the van for a few months and spend as many weekends in it either at home or on short trips away. The kids are adjusting well. DD (currently 3.5) is a delight and has no trouble adjusting to van life. DS (currently 20 months) is a bit more hit and miss whenever we first go away but he always settles into the groove so I think while we will have some very trying times, especially early on, I am confident they will both cope with all that the trip will be with ease.

As someone who got to the point of throwing caution to the wind and did (or is doing) so, then of course I am all for you doing the same!

Another great website to look up is Expedition Australia. Steve and his family spent about 18 months on the road with a camper trailer. The kids were roughly 2 and 4 when they set out. They made a wonderful DVD of their adventure which you can buy through his website. It is one of the first things we did when we made our decision and we enjoyed it thouroughly. Wonderfully inspiring for anyone wanting to hit the road with kids (and they were on a tight budget), and beyond that, it was just an entertaining series - great for family viewing.

We will be blogging/FB/Insta under Our Big Lap... Still setting it all up now (no time with 2 toddlers and a husband always at work lol)

Hope to see lots of you on the road!!!

ETA: The Expedition Australia website also has a great spreadsheet you can download to help with guesstimating/planning expenses. Steve is also very helpful if you ever drop him a line with a question or two
    Sorry for the giant quote, I just didn't want this post to be out of context.

The countdown is well and truly on, we leave on Easter Monday traveling around Australia in our caravan with our soon to be 4 and 2 year olds.

We have published a website to be kind of like a great big travel journal for us, our family and friends and anyone else who is interested in our travels. We have and will be posting lots of info that will be of assistance to anyone planning their own big lap, so keep that in mind in case you get the urge to pack up and hit the road!

We have published our first diary entry which is all about the motivation behind our trip. Anyone with a family, and perhaps especially young kids, will probably relate!

Head on over to www.ourbiglap.com.au if you are interested to read more about our travels