+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Yes it's lycee Condorcet. They do the French curriculum only and you pay ~$10k a year but if you're French you can get a scholarship from the French gvt.
    Oh my I just looked on their website - their canteen menu is divine!!!!! I wish our schools had that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What tricks has the government got up its sleeve for the budget?

I'm weirded out by that independent school on Brunswick st. Can't explain the feeling and I ought to do more research about it and pay them a visit.
    I hear they do really well too.

Two great examples of people setting up successful private schools 😊
    It is extremely weird. And the parents don't help the cause as they are odd in the main too. My eldest learnt Chinese there and we got to know them really well and grew to really love the school. I struggled a lot with loneliness after DD1 and they used to always say I was welcome any time to come over for a cup of tea and to just stay there while the parents and kids hung around.

Their students perform exceptionally well at main****** schools after they leave. But yeah they kind of have a weird almost cult vibe about them. Probably because they are all the same family who run it.

John Marsden set up the English curriculum for the school and he is an exceptionally bright teacher.

We moved before we had to decide. The fees were enormous which was off putting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The funding strategy for education as well as the reforms re literacy and numeracy is an unmitigated disaster. And a very frightening one. Because ten years from now we will witness the fruits of this very misguided policy and it won't be pretty.

5 year olds subjected to literacy and numeracy testing (totally and utterly irrelevant as well as dangerous at that age) which is linked to funding and performance based pay for teaching staff. (Nooooo!!!) What happens when the child fails? No funding? An embarrassing rehash of the public reporting system that was and is the awful and grossly inaccurate MySchools project?

Politicians who have never stepped foot in a classroom mandating more testing (on top of the ridiculous NAPLAN regime) as the answer to our education woes.

Meanwhile.....

NO funding for teacher training. NO focus on university quals that so desperately need a clean up and dragged into line with real life K-12 teaching requirements. NOTHING at all for the desperately needed disability awareness training to pull teachers into the 21st century so as to prevent kids from being put in 'time out rooms' or turfed into cages. And yet they point to a lack of formal testing as being the source as to why our kids aren't reading and writing as well as they did thirty years ago!!!

Are they oblivious to the massive chasm that the American test everything approach has created in their system? That NAPLAN, in fact, isn't working and is one giant and expensive joke? Do they not see the chaos a similar approach has caused in the UK and how they are now fighting it because it's just not working and, in fact, is causing further deficits?

This isn't teaching. It's factory farming.

Hello homeschooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Plus private schools are virtually non existent in these countries as they are committed to an egalitarian education system.
    Also, when the public system is sufficient, there is no market for private schools. I'm not going to pay more money if my child received the same or better education from our local public schools. But out local public schools are sh!t (not all public schools. But my local ones are), & I will pay to send my child to a school where she enjoys it more & feels safe. If the public system is better than the private schools, no one would need to pay for private (or very few would).

Longer school hours are ridiculous. Finnish schools have short hours, long holidays, kids dont start school until they are - 6 or 7? Educatiom is not babysitting and childminding. The needs of the kids, not the convenience of the parents, needs to come first. Teachers work 9-10 hour days as it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    French teachers work load isn't so bad actually

~44hrs of work per week and 16 weeks of paid holiday per year 😁
    I doubt they only work the time they are at school.

Teaching is not a job where you rock up just before school starts and leave when the kids do. It is not possible to do everything a teacher needs to do and do that. If teachers are doing that then they're either taking work home or they're not doing their job properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    The funding strategy for education as well as the reforms re literacy and numeracy is an unmitigated disaster. And a very frightening one. Because ten years from now we will witness the fruits of this very misguided policy and it won't be pretty.

5 year olds subjected to literacy and numeracy testing (totally and utterly irrelevant as well as dangerous at that age) which is linked to funding and performance based pay for teaching staff. (Nooooo!!!) What happens when the child fails? No funding? An embarrassing rehash of the public reporting system that was and is the awful and grossly inaccurate MySchools project?

Politicians who have never stepped foot in a classroom mandating more testing (on top of the ridiculous NAPLAN regime) as the answer to our education woes.

Meanwhile.....

NO funding for teacher training. NO focus on university quals that so desperately need a clean up and dragged into line with real life K-12 teaching requirements. NOTHING at all for the desperately needed disability awareness training to pull teachers into the 21st century so as to prevent kids from being put in 'time out rooms' or turfed into cages. And yet they point to a lack of formal testing as being the source as to why our kids aren't reading and writing as well as they did thirty years ago!!!

Are they oblivious to the massive chasm that the American test everything approach has created in their system? That NAPLAN, in fact, isn't working and is one giant and expensive joke? Do they not see the chaos a similar approach has caused in the UK and how they are now fighting it because it's just not working and, in fact, is causing further deficits?

This isn't teaching. It's factory farming.

Hello homeschooling.
    Do you know you don't have to make your child sit NAPLAN?

Teachers in NSW public schools have been allocated an extra $17 million for professional learning this year, which is a 50% increase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    What hours do most teachers work here? I think shorter hours would be good for kids in kindy to maybe year 2 as I think after a few hours most 5-7 year olds would switch off , same with homework , we only have sight words and home readers with no set time frame but some of DS friends from pre school last year who are in different schools have sheets of homework every week in kindy!
    My understanding is that for kindy, the students do all the "learning" activities in the first half of the day when they are most switched on and the "play" type activities in the second half of the day.. This is what one of the principals we met was explaining but maybe I misunderstood..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    French teachers work load isn't so bad actually

~44hrs of work per week and 16 weeks of paid holiday per year ������
    The 16 weeks of holidays is a huge misconception. I went into the degree thinking it was going to be a wonderful family friendly job. And it can be if you work part time or relief. But those 16 weeks are mostly spent programming and doing all the paperwork required. I was shocked the amount of work involved in running classes. It isn't just planning what to do, they have to fit with outcomes set by DET, you need to get the materials, which can often be so time consuming. Gone are the days of just reading out of text books and writing slabs on the board like when I was a kid.

Teachers don't get 16 weeks off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Nooo :0 Funding should be based on disadvantage of the individual students, not on performance. This is a terrible terrible plan! The first article you posted also said teacher pay would be linked to student performance. Because we all know students who perform well & are bright and clever are the 'difficult' ones to teach :0 What a way to degrade the profession. I wonder if performance based pay would be forced to follow on through to the private system? Just disgusting proposals.
    Completely agree! Not only are we going to see good teachers not want to teach at low SES/low performing schools but the kids who already have a leg up will get the funding! It should be the opposite!

There are lots of reasons kids don't perform 'well'. I could list heaps. Yes sometimes it's about mediocre teaching. More often than not it isn't. On paper we don't perform fantastic (although we have steadily improved). Yet we are seen as the best school in our community. Parents play a HUGE role. As does SES, cultural aspects.

Under this awful initiative teachers of low SES schools would be punished for aspects that are out of their hands.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (03-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts