+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks
    4,517
    Thanked
    3,401
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Anaemia in 10 month old

    Hi all just wondering if anyone else has had experience with an anaemic baby?
    My DD is 10 months (9 months corrected as she was born a month early). We saw her Paediatrician and he commented she was looking pale (she has olive skin) and wanted to get her iron checked. He contacted me yesterday to say she is severely anaemic. Her circulating iron level was 4 (should be 10-30) and her iron stores were basically zero (need to be 20-200). Paed has put her on iron 5ml daily for 6 months. She's not really interested in food and paed said that getting her iron up should improve her appetite which I'm hoping will then help her sleep too.
    Feeling sad for my little darling, she's not had an easy run. Anyone else deal with severe anaemia? Did iron help them eat?
    Thanks lovelies 😊

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,362
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked
    1,197
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 3yo was anaemic about 6 months ago.

    He wouldn't eat because he was so tired basically. Went from eating ALL FRIGGEN DAY to eating breakfast then nothing after that. He would just lay around and fall asleep. I was pretty worried about him.

    The iron helped after about a week and he was back to his normal self

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

    gingermillie  (27-04-2016)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks
    4,517
    Thanked
    3,401
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    My 3yo was anaemic about 6 months ago.

    He wouldn't eat because he was so tired basically. Went from eating ALL FRIGGEN DAY to eating breakfast then nothing after that. He would just lay around and fall asleep. I was pretty worried about him.

    The iron helped after about a week and he was back to his normal self
    Thanks 😀 her eating is definitely getting worse she's eating less and less (and wasn't eating much to start with). She's not sleepy or tired though. Hoping the iron helps her appetite soon.

  5. #4
    kiwimum890's Avatar
    kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    784
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked
    287
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do they test for this is it a blood test?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks
    4,517
    Thanked
    3,401
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimum890 View Post
    How do they test for this is it a blood test?
    Hi yes she had a blood test which was done via finger prick. I was stressed about it but she didn't even flinch. Took 5-10 minutes for them to squeeze enough drops of blood out and DD was fine.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

    kiwimum890  (27-04-2016)

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,880
    Thanks
    5,206
    Thanked
    3,905
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Make sure she is getting enough vitamin c to absorb iron. Also reduce dairy or give separately as calcium blocks iron absorption.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    gingermillie  (27-04-2016)

  10. #7
    kiwimum890's Avatar
    kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    784
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked
    287
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Hi yes she had a blood test which was done via finger prick. I was stressed about it but she didn't even flinch. Took 5-10 minutes for them to squeeze enough drops of blood out and DD was fine.
    Thanks for the reply, my DS has poor weight gains so will be discussing this with the GP next visit. He is also very pale...
    Good to hear it wasn't like an adult blood test phew!

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks
    4,517
    Thanked
    3,401
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Make sure she is getting enough vitamin c to absorb iron. Also reduce dairy or give separately as calcium blocks iron absorption.
    She is really struggling with eating so I think the vit c might be an issue. Don't want to give her juice though so I'm a bit stumped. Unfortunately yoghurt is one of the few things she eats 😁 I can't stop that but I'll give her the iron couple of hours before/after dairy.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,880
    Thanks
    5,206
    Thanked
    3,905
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    She is really struggling with eating so I think the vit c might be an issue. Don't want to give her juice though so I'm a bit stumped. Unfortunately yoghurt is one of the few things she eats 😁 I can't stop that but I'll give her the iron couple of hours before/after dairy.
    Just combine vit c with the iron. So mandarins with her iron drops. Or capsicum, orange etc. Most fruit/veg have iron.

    With calcium - sounds great if you can separate yoghurt from mealtimes. Caffeine also blocks iron absorption but I doubt your baby is slinging back espressos.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks
    4,517
    Thanked
    3,401
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Just combine vit c with the iron. So mandarins with her iron drops. Or capsicum, orange etc. Most fruit/veg have iron.

    With calcium - sounds great if you can separate yoghurt from mealtimes. Caffeine also blocks iron absorption but I doubt your baby is slinging back espressos.
    Lol I love your optimism but she barely eats and is ridiculously fussy. I am struggling to get her to eat solids at all so the chance of her eating enough of something with enough vit c is slim. She's currently only reliably eating yoghurt, custard, rice cakes, omelette, grated cheese, and pear. Then some days she'll eat quiche, veggie patties, pikelets, sandwich, toast, veggie sticks, baked beans. I offer everything I eat as finger food, the only thing she has pureed is pear, and have offered every veg in every form and meat too. Shakes her head at me and clamps her mouth shut. It's a big challenge.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

    kiwimum890  (27-04-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone doing FET this Month ?
    By babypanda in forum Non-IVF fertility assistance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-01-2016, 18:25
  2. 6 month old help!!
    By katieerin in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 08:46
  3. Help with 8 month old!
    By Mrs Snowman in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-06-2015, 22:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
SoftmatsSoftmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
What would you do to come up moneyGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF Babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017 #2pregnancy and babies through IVF
Half normal IVF Half ISCI???Conception & Fertility General Chat
Need adviceIntroductions
Avoid name due to po@n star?Choosing Baby Names
The fear in pregnancyPregnancy & Birth General Chat
❤Joyous June/July TTC!❤Conception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›