+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know...it's awful. It's just hard to make a deal of it because although we're friends we obviously have very different views on animal ownership. My boys play with him a bit when they feed him. We could probably take him for a walk with us but that's kind of a bandaid solution. I guess I'm just venting because I don't really have the balls to tell her how I feel about it and if I reported it she'd most likely know it was me...although it seems like it's not even a crime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes I wonder if we're the weird ones. DH's parents always make comments to us how dogs should live outside and basically not be heard from. They can't understand that our lab lives and sleeps in the house so I'm wondering if maybe my "normal" metre is off and I'm being too sensitive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well my 'normal' meter is right where yours is. I'm fretting when we have to put our big baby into the kennel for 13 days. He loves going and gets to run around all day with other dogs but I still feel awful! Yes, it's a tough situation but I feel you need to say something about how nice it would be to receive nice attention from a kennel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see both sides. Dwpends on the dog and the family

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the only reportable behaviour would be letting the dog roam unleashed. Where we live, dogs arent allowed to be off leash roaming the streets. Apart from that - although the dog isnt receiving the same manner of love and attention that you give your own pet - it is not illegal or a reportable offence to give a dog little attention. As long as it is generally clean and comfortable, fed, has clean water, shade, a space to sleep, etc - their dog wouldnt be collected and taken to the pound. I know that must be difficult for someone who's dog is their baby & a member of their family - but all families are different.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-04-2016),binnielici  (22-04-2016),ChatlotteA  (22-04-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-04-2016),TheGooch  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I get that. It just seems so awful to me. Why have a dog at all if you pretty much ignore it? I know there's nothing to report but like I said, I guess I'm just venting my frustration. I wish it was a law that a dog couldn't be left unattended like that. To me it is animal cruelty. I know not all dogs are house dogs but they all deserve attention and love. To leave them alone for two weeks even if they have shelter and food is cruel in my eyes but sadly it's allowed by the law.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We leave ours at home when we go away. Believe it or.not but he prefers it and copesuch better than in a kennel doesn't loose weight he usually puts it on and never looses his voice like he does in the kennels. The closest kennel is 2 hours away so not convenient either. He also provides a level of protection to our house while we are away. Don't shoot me 😉

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

ChatlotteA  (22-04-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-04-2016),MonkeyMumma  (22-04-2016),TheGooch  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Some dogs are inside and some are outside. We have had both inside and outside. I don't see anything wrong with going away as long as your pets are looked after by someone whether than be a neighbour, friend, boarding in a kennel

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

MonkeyMumma  (22-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flowers21 View Post
    We leave ours at home when we go away. Believe it or.not but he prefers it and copesuch better than in a kennel doesn't loose weight he usually puts it on and never looses his voice like he does in the kennels. The closest kennel is 2 hours away so not convenient either. He also provides a level of protection to our house while we are away. Don't shoot me 😉
    Our dog wouldn't cope in a kennel either. She's a solitary dog and doesn't get on well with others. Also my understanding is apart from exercise they are kept caged?
    I'd rather my dog to be home in a familiar environment. It's not nice to be gone so long but if the dog wasn't used to receiving a lot of attention it won't be such a cruel act.

Personally since my two kids came along the dog is not walked very often, she's not on the top list of priorities. She receives attention, is fed, comfortable and loved though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we go away our neighbours look after our dog. They come feed him and play with him for a bit and know if a storm comes to put him inside as he doesnt like the thunder.
    Why dont you just play with him and take him for a walk while they are away if it bothers you? Just like our kids people look after their pets differently doesnt mean they are not loved or looked after

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

amyd  (22-04-2016)