+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 196
  1. #171
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    3,649
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I wasn't targeting any one poster or comment. Just more of a general comment as I've noticed lots of discussion of late around low SES schools. Of course there are horrible public schools out there, no denying that. Just putting it out there to look beneath the surface
    😊 I agree with you wholeheartedly.

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,297
    Thanks
    1,410
    Thanked
    1,322
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default If your a sahm/dad how much income?

    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    No, I wasn't. But so what? Is that the only time it's okay in bh land to choose to live in the more expensive area? When the alternative is a remote Aboriginal community?
    I've explained where I was coming from a few times. If our choice to live where we do has ruffled some feathers, well, I can't help that. I'm not talking about Australia in general...I'm talking about the area I live i vs the alternative, I'm talking about the lifestyle we have here, vs what it would be if we moved (without even factoring in schools/ ses etc.).
    I'm done explaining myself to a bunch of strangers on the internet, though.
    You know even though the tone of your post had an air of condescension to it, I didn't really have any issue with what you said or the choices you made. I've got no problem with anyone's lifestyle or choices. But... You did make quite negative implications about schools within low SES communities, being filled with children from Low SES families. By Stating this, you imply that children from low SES families are not good enough to sit beside your children in the same classroom. Maybe you don't see this as being offensive, but I'm sorry to say, it is.

    I know we are all strangers here but you should still keep in mind that there are people here who are actually low income earners and live in low SES communities.

    ETA - I looked back over the original post and your words were referring to a suburb being "saturated with low SES families". Not specifically talking about schools being low SES but the implication then is that you don't want to socialise with low SES families. Well, each to their own.
    Last edited by witherwings; 23-04-2016 at 08:20.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

    amyd  (26-04-2016),Ngaiz  (23-04-2016)

  4. #173
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    3,649
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    You know even though the tone of your post had an air of condescension to it, I didn't really have any issue with what you said or the choices you made. I've got no problem with anyone's lifestyle or choices. But... You did make quite negative implications about schools within low SES communities, being filled with children from Low SES families. By Stating this, you imply that children from low SES families are not good enough to sit beside your children in the same classroom. Maybe you don't see this as being offensive, but I'm sorry to say, it is.

    I know we are all strangers here but you should still keep in mind that there are people here who are actually low income earners and live in low SES communities.

    ETA - I looked back over the original post and your words were referring to a suburb being "saturated with low SES families". Not specifically talking about schools being low SES but the implication then is that you don't want to socialise with low SES families. Well, each to their own.
    I didn't mean it the way it may have came across, which I went on to explain. I'm sorry you can't look past the first post where I've provided further clarification. I highly doubt you'd want to move back to an area where your house was robbed three times as a kid, you had neighbours who would throw their used condoms in to neighbouring yards (we weren't direct neighbours thankfully), or where a girl you went to school with stabbed a random person in broad daylight because she was so badly drug affected. Once again...I'm not talking about low ses families who are hard working, decent people. My best friend in primary school moved away because her parents committed insurance fraud and were being investigated...they also openly bragged about how much they enjoyed living on the dole. I bet you wouldn't be rushing to move back there. Of course the whole area isn't like that...there are beautiful, decent families who live there. But sadly, there are enough who aren't that it taints the place.
    Have a good day ☺
    Last edited by Full House; 23-04-2016 at 08:37.

  5. #174
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,305
    Thanks
    1,642
    Thanked
    2,318
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I wasn't targeting any one poster or comment. Just more of a general comment as I've noticed lots of discussion of late around low SES schools. Of course there are horrible public schools out there, no denying that. Just putting it out there to look beneath the surface
    School to school within the one suburb can be chalk and cheese as well. When doing CRT on return to Vic I worked at 2 schools in Pakenham (not picking on Pakenham but using it as it exemplifies very-outer suburbs near big cities). One was a 1000+ mega-school the other a 400ish kid school. The big school was beautiful, polite kids working independently with self motivation, staff were warm and welcoming. The other... I rang the agency and asked them to never send me again!

    It is so hard to make general statements about any area - inner, outer, city, country.

    I think that is what gets a lot of people on here up in arms. Just because one person's experience of an area is a certain way, does not mean it is that way for everyone. Just because one outer-suburb-low-ses area sucked when you lived there doesn't mean another outer-suburb-low-ses 2km down the road would not have given you a different experience (not you Del, this bit isn't in reply to you).

    I say this because I used to be an inner-city-or-bust person. Was I a suburb snob? Yes! 1000000x yes and proud of it. Life takes you on twists and turns though and mine has changed my perspective 180degrees. If you knew me in my 20s you would fall over in shock that I am actually *happy* in a little country town.

    Horses for courses, but people should just be sensitive when making sweeping statements.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (23-04-2016),gingermillie  (23-04-2016),witherwings  (23-04-2016)

  7. #175
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,616
    Thanks
    888
    Thanked
    2,068
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I wasn't targeting any one poster or comment. Just more of a general comment as I've noticed lots of discussion of late around low SES schools. Of course there are horrible public schools out there, no denying that. Just putting it out there to look beneath the surface
    I find this whole thing really interesting. If my kids attended a low ses school in a nearby area, they would be funded over 20k each from the government towards their education. At their current low-fee private school, they receive 8k govt funding each towards their education. So I see how the lower ses school would provide my child with more government funding towards their educaion - BUT at the low ses 20k govt funded school, there is an incredibly low level of literacy. I have a friend who teaches at the low ses school, & she is called names like a fu##ing c##t from the 5-6 year old students regularly. Bullying and violence is rife. My teacher friend said that afer an hour doing a relief day in the school, relief teachers would ask another teacher to watch their class while they 'get something from the car' & then would drive off &never return :0 It is ROUGH. Kill or be killed. Teachers are burnt out and rundown. I just dont want my daughter in that environment. So even though my daughter would receive more govt funding at a low ses school,it is not the right school for her. Im sure other low ses schools are absolutely wonderful &can provide a high quality education. I think its a case by case situation.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (25-04-2016),atomicmama  (23-04-2016),Janesmum123  (23-04-2016),VicPark  (25-04-2016)

  9. #176
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    3,649
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    5x20 = 100 so a long way off the 250 you quoted. 5 classes of 15-17 is quite common at schools that mine and friends kids attend in different areas of Sydney
    Yes, you're right πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Gawd I need sleep!

  10. #177
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    686
    Thanked
    239
    Reviews
    0
    Im a single, not currently working mum.

    total amount in is 36400,
    its not easy, I worry that rent may rise more or something may break,
    Im hoping to get work this year

  11. #178
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,329
    Thanks
    1,453
    Thanked
    7,932
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yes but many people don't have a choice as its the only local school - my clients that do like it is because its NAPLAN testing scores are high and they think that helps them get into the selective schools as not many like the local high school - the ones that don't like it is because I know last year years 5 and 6 had 6 classes each of 30 kids so not 250 but 180 still a big year size , luckily kindy is capped at 20 kids but there are 8 classes ( we know 2 kids from DS pre school who started kindy there this year)
    You can get into surrounding schools out of area but if you want to get into Hurstville as an out of area you've got no chance.

    I've got friends who are in the zone for Hurstville but attend my children's school.

    The NAPLAN scores at Hurstville would be because the kids are all at tutoring being trained how to sit NAPLAN and selective high school tests.

    I'm not saying that the teachers aren't great or anything, but they certainly have a head start on many other schools because of that but I also know that they focus a lot on literacy and numeracy.

    My friend's son started kindy there this year. She's a school teacher at a local public school and she said that they don't much besides reading and writing. She has considered moving her son to my children's school but she said he doesn't know any different and he's happy. But she is disappointed they don't offer many other things besides band but that's not for kindy anyway.

  12. #179
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,893
    Thanks
    3,434
    Thanked
    6,821
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You can get into surrounding schools out of area but if you want to get into Hurstville as an out of area you've got no chance.

    I've got friends who are in the zone for Hurstville but attend my children's school.

    The NAPLAN scores at Hurstville would be because the kids are all at tutoring being trained how to sit NAPLAN and selective high school tests.

    I'm not saying that the teachers aren't great or anything, but they certainly have a head start on many other schools because of that but I also know that they focus a lot on literacy and numeracy.

    My friend's son started kindy there this year. She's a school teacher at a local public school and she said that they don't much besides reading and writing. She has considered moving her son to my children's school but she said he doesn't know any different and he's happy. But she is disappointed they don't offer many other things besides band but that's not for kindy anyway.
    Im amazed at how many people do get tutors for the selective schools test, in the past few years I've met so many clients who do, I think it's quite sad , the poor kids are under so much pressure and from the people I know who did go to selective schools they say it's very competitive and again they are all put under pressure to get good results , these kids must have no life outside studying!

  13. #180
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,329
    Thanks
    1,453
    Thanked
    7,932
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Im amazed at how many people do get tutors for the selective schools test, in the past few years I've met so many clients who do, I think it's quite sad , the poor kids are under so much pressure and from the people I know who did go to selective schools they say it's very competitive and again they are all put under pressure to get good results , these kids must have no life outside studying!
    I know My friend's daughter goes to a local catholic school and she said the parents put their child in public school kindy the year their child turned 5 (if 5 before cut off) then put them into the catholic school in kindy the following year to give their child a head start. She said her daughter has been asking about getting a tutor because it's the in thing as everyone else has one. It all sounds so competitive from what she says.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Salary sacrifice- income CL
    By maternidade in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-10-2015, 22:00
  2. Overestimated family income
    By Ruby_Tuesday15 in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31-07-2015, 18:00
  3. Taxable income
    By silly in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 11:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Pea Pods Reusable NappiesPea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›