I have over 15 years as an educator at primary and tertiary levels and I have no idea whether to keep DS back for another year of kinder.
He's born in January and is there academically but I don't think he is ready emotionally at all. He holds back in group settings, is clingy and struggles a lot with hello and goodbye with people. His teacher said he could go either way and he should be ok but another year wouldn't do him any harm either.
He has another 3 terms until next year but we are meant to decide now whether he gets pulled out of 4yo kinder so he's funded for next if we want him to do another year. I'm very reluctant to pull him out as I feel
he's just started to find his feet. Another option is we keep him in regardless and just pay for kinder - does anyone have any idea of how much kinder costs are in Victoria?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
07-04-2016 16:53 #1
07-04-2016 17:04 #2
DS is an end of Feb baby and he could have gone either way, too. He's in grade 1 now and I can see that he is a little behind his peers in terms of emotional intelligence and being able to concentrate, follow instructions etc. it's not a massive difference though and not of particular concern to us or his teachers. In a lot of ways he's just a daydreamy child and I don't think it would have mattered if he stayed back a year, as he would still be vague and a little childish- that's just who he is.
IMO, whichever way you choose to go, it's not likely going to be a life changing decision. Honestly, if it was going to be a hassle to do another year of 4 yo kinder, or you think he'Ll be really bored this year without it, I would send him next year.
And there's my completely unprofessional 2 cents
The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:
07-04-2016 17:20 #3
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:
07-04-2016 17:58 #4
I've got this exact dilemma!! My DS2 is a 10th Feb babe and I'm in two minds! I've been teaching for 13 years I thought it would be easy. Part of me says yes he's ready but another part screams no don't do it he will be behind the eight ball from the start. Argh the stress! My other two are August and September babies so don't even have to think twice 😁
The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:
07-04-2016 18:02 #5
I should have been kept back for a year, it would have done wonders for me. I'm at the end of November (in the olden days it was calendar year) and back then there seemed to be a lot of kids repeating a year, probably more than now. I would be more concerned about his emotional wellbeing seeing his friends move on and not him.
You're experienced and his mum, so follow your gut.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:
By 2BlueBirds in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 11Last Post: 19-03-2016, 19:50
By Cue in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 9Last Post: 05-01-2016, 18:54
By razydog in forum BrisbaneReplies: 0Last Post: 19-10-2015, 16:19
Pea Pods Reusable NappiesPea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Career change - good idea?Working Hubbers - Employed
Baby has itchy skin/scalp2 year olds
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
Suspected endometriosis with no symptoms?Endometriosis Chat
Funniest thing your kid has said to youGeneral Chat
Flying with a 7 month old - overnight or during day better?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Selling your house privately...General Chat
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
Horrible Baby Names #2Choosing Baby Names
Chickenpox after being immunised?Pro-Vaccination