Hi all, just feeling a bit lost. I recieved a 1:22 chance of downs from my combined NT screening at 13 weeks. I had PREVIOUSLY had the harmony test at 10 weeks and all came back low risk. Met with MFM at hospital yesterday and all looks good with bubs on the scan. I can have a CVS tomorrow if I want it but I just don't know. My HCG beta was very high and my PAPP-A was low. Was initially given 1:11 but bubs has a nasal bone so it went to 1:22. I'll be 36 when I deliver bubs. Currently 15 wks today.
I understand that harmony tests are fantastic and put many people's mind at ease and I'm very lucky to have had a great result. I don't want to sound ridiculous and I guess if I'd had the harmony AFTER the NT results I may be feeling more at ease. The only way to know for sure and put my mind at rest is to have CVS tomorrow, but then there is a risk of miscarriage.
I guess I'm just wondering if anyone's been in the same situation and how confident you were with the harmony results, not feeling the need to have an invasive test conducted. My partner feels confident but says whatever I decide is fine.
Thanks in advance
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
06-04-2016 06:40 #1
High risk NT, low risk harmony: CVS?
07-04-2016 14:32 #2Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2016
I did nipt, which is pretty similar to harmony I believe, my dr told me there was 1 recorded case ever of it missing a trisomy, so not foolproof but very close. So I would check out the stats with harmony, 1 ever is good....this was 2 y ago.
07-04-2016 14:51 #3Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2013
I was given a background risk of 1:33 due to my age and history (I have had 9 losses prior to having my son), once I had the scan for the nuchal my risk was reduced to 1:455. The scan place recommended I have a cvs but as I had already had an nipt (verify) and had the best result you can get I declined.
I have had a cvs with a previous unsuccessful pregnancy(not a problem from cvs) and wouldn't hesitate to have one if it was really necessary. That's something you need to decide.
Can you get another more specialised scan? I had a tertiary scan( I think that's what it was called) before deciding on the cvs that I did have, it's a specialist scan so was with a neonatal specialist and it was able to determine the presence of markers which confirmed for me that the cvs was necessary. It did cost a few hundred (a couple of years ago now, can't remember the cost), as I've a history of miscarriage it was worth it before going for something more invasive.
Do you know what your background risk is? For me with my last pregnancy, my background risk of 1:33 was much worse than my overall risk which included the nuchal blood test was 1:455. The fact that the nuchal result was better than my background risk was also reassuring.
Good luck with your decision, btw my last pregnancy resulted in a son who is now 6months old.
07-04-2016 15:33 #4
I was speaking to my Ob this morning about the NIPT and he actually advised not to have the NT screening done if I'm doing the NIPT because they could produce such different results and then you're confused as to which one to go with. So he has advised to do the NIPT combined with an early morphology scan (at 12 weeks). Now that I'm reading your post I can see what he means by conflicting results and then not know where to go from there.
From what I understand about the NT screening, they plug all this data from the blood test and the NT scan into a calculator and it spits out a probability based on your age and a bunch of other factors. It isn't diagnostic, so it isn't exactly accurate, and a 1:33 chance is not THAT high really when you think about it.
Considering you've done the harmony test and received a low risk of chromosomal abnormalities, I would think that you are at a low risk for downs etc, particularly if the scan shows a nasal bone. The test is supposed to be 99% accurate. I'm not sure how accurate the NT screening test is but I don't think it's anywhere near that accurate.
By the end of the day, you could do the more invasive diagnostic test, to ease your mind, but for me personally if I was in your position, I wouldn't take that risk.
07-04-2016 15:33 #5
Not me personally but my friend was flagged high risk for T21 at her NT, so her obstetrician recommended doing the harmony test first. She did, and it came back negative for the three trisomies, and they were happy with that so didn't do a CVS or amnio. She now has a healthy wee man.
07-04-2016 15:36 #6
I did NIPT, and instead of having the NT scan, I just had an early anatomy scan instead. I think this is becoming par for course as NIPT is becoming more commonplace.
For T21 NIPT is something like 99.8% accurate.
08-04-2016 00:22 #7
Thanks for your comments. Deskar my background risk was 1:247. After speaking with the specialist this morning I decided to go ahead with the CVS. She said while it's more common for harmony tests to produce false positive results, more cases have emerged of false negatives. Because of my anxiety and the stress it's put me through we decided it was the way to go.
The procedure went well so just really resting up now and taking it easy. Initial results for mosr common chromosome abnormalities should be back on Mon or Tues. The rest in about 10-14 days.
Again, thanks for your comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to LJs Mum For This Useful Post:
08-04-2016 13:07 #8Senior Member
- Join Date
- Jan 2013
Good luck LJ's mum! I'll keep everything crossed for you...
Melbourne Natural Medicine ClinicLeading natural health practitioners in fertility, preconception, pregnancy, and children's health. We take an ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
ConfusedConception & Fertility General Chat
Situations - ok or not ok?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Would you delay TTC because first child is starting first year of school.General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF babies due March/April/May 2017#2pregnancy and babies through IVF
What are our chances??pregnancy and babies through IVF
Miracle March TTC and Testing ChatConception & Fertility General Chat