+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS and I just returned from a Melbourne sleep school and we are still struggling. Both yesterday (at school) and today (at home) he's not gone down for me during the day. Only at bedtime when he is beyond exhausted.

Sleep school was the hardest thing I've ever done. Hands down. I feel like we failed, but there are a few positives I'm holding on to. 1) he will now go down for DH, 2) he goes down for others (nurses, hopefully MIL), and 3) his night sleeping has greatly improved.

Today we went through all the steps, he came so close a few times but fought it.

Any ideas how to get over this? I'm the one who takes care of him all day, and it's killing me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It's not that complicated once you get the hang of it/know what you're doing. There are energy efficient heaters you can get. My electricity bill isn't much more than $400/qtr. The small extra financial cost (to me) is well worth the benefit of having a bub not wake through the night (7pm-7am, love my sleep - don't handle sleep deprivation well).
    Hmmm. Fair enough. But no way I'd want my Kids sleeping past 6am. Guess our method suits our family.

Now that we've moved to Canberra I'm worried about temps at night for the kidlets during winter. So Dh and I are going to put a spare double mattress on the floor in our room and put the girls there to sleep. That way we can only heat the one room overnight and save on heating costs/electricity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Wow. That sounds complicated. I've never checked bubs room temp. Nor have I ever used heaters in bedrooms. Just shoved them in bed with me if they wake 2+ a night.

To each their own.

Aren't you guys worried about heating costs?? Our bill is usually under $300/quarter.
    Personally I would happily pay more in heating costs if it means a baby that sleeps well!! It's great if people enjoy co sleeping but right now having a baby waking and feeding 6-7 times a night and not being able to move much as I'm afraid he's going to wake up or fall out of bed is not my idea of fun! I'm so depressed about the state of things but with so many changes and jetlag I feel like I'm in an impossible situation for a while longer. OP I would kill to be in your situation right now! So glad you've managed to sort things out and I would just be patient and not expect too much with regards to the morning waking as you have achieved so much already.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-04-2016),VicPark  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Hmmm. Fair enough. But no way I'd want my Kids sleeping past 6am. Guess our method suits our family.

Now that we've moved to Canberra I'm worried about temps at night for the kidlets during winter. So Dh and I are going to put a spare double mattress on the floor in our room and put the girls there to sleep. That way we can only heat the one room overnight and save on heating costs/electricity.
    Nothing wrong with a 6am start to the day if that works for you. I know several parents that rejig daily events so their kids sleep through (mostly) 6pm-6am.

I only heat one room too - bubs room. I put flanelette pyjamas and fluffy socks on under my doona if needed. My preschooler doesn't have a heater - he wears flannels and has a super warm wool doona. Don't trust him with a heater in is room and now he's older the self settling, body regulation and being under a doona arent problems.

Temperature is a big part of helping bubs sleep through regardless of how you go about it (heater, blankies, body warmth, co-sleeping and Gary-power etc ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    OP I second NH's post - you are off to a fabulous start. Anything extra is icing in the chocolate-mud-cake.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I've read a few of your posts/threads etc; struggling also with our DS2. The dreamfeed at 9.30 you do, would that be 2.5hrs after bedtime? Our DS seems to wake bang on 3hrs after bedtime really needing that feed so we've discussed me going in a few mins earlier to dreamfeed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    PinkPopscicle - sort for butting in. One word of warning with the dreamfeed - it can become a habit and then cycle of need. Bub can wake expecting a feed, bub has a big feed then feeds less during the day, bub then needs the extra dreamfeed.

Once bub is established on solids feel free to start winding back the dreamfeed. Don't do what I did with DS1 and DF until 8monthsish (the older bub is, the more chance of a habit forming).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks VicPark, he's 7mths, 3 meals a day and wakes 4x a night or more. Im absolutely shattered and seeing GP next week for advice and treatment as im really not coping. I have 2 older children and am due back at work soon but i cant string a sentence together most days let alone look after uncosncious patients so need to find a solution that suits our family and soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    Thanks VicPark, he's 7mths, 3 meals a day and wakes 4x a night or more. Im absolutely shattered and seeing GP next week for advice and treatment as im really not coping. I have 2 older children and am due back at work soon but i cant string a sentence together most days let alone look after uncosncious patients so need to find a solution that suits our family and soon!
    The mother baby unit I checked out of this morning said rollover / dream feeds were OK until 9 months, but the to start cutting back. There were a couple bubs whose mums where trying to cut them (1 7 month, 1 10 month) and both bubs made it through the night. DS is 8 and I'm still giving him a dream feed. He's still light on solids so that may change once he eats more.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (05-04-2016),PinkPopsicle  (05-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    You poor thing. Fingers crossed you win lotto and don't have to go back to work

Feel free to PM me if you want a hand (brainstorm) with the sleep issue

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (05-04-2016)