+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Honestly I think $10-15 is absolutely fine. My dd had a large party last year & was showered with gifts. Some of them would have cost $5, others up to $50. It was a bit overwhelming with the sheer amount of stuff, & then there was family too. I would hate to think people felt obligated to spend more than they felt comfortable with. Her favourite gifts were a pencil case set & a skipping rope that were probably $5 each.
    Our society has such a 'buy buy buy' consumeristic mentality. Buy more 'stuff' at easter, halloween, valentines day. I think we (as a society) are so wasteful & overspend waaaay to much on things that will barely get played with because the house is overflowing with more 'stuff'

Gosh, that was a bit of a vent,sorry! I tend to be finding tangents lately. Must have some pent up frustration, haha. Can you tell I am a minimalist?
    I'm a hypocrite. I don't want to be seen as "cheap" when giving a present but my kids and I honestly couldn't care how much a present cost. Like you last birthday it was really overwhelming and I have no idea who gave her what. I told a friend to get her fruit loops (I won't buy them as an everyday thing) and she was stoked 😄

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

TeaAndToast  (30-03-2016)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Honestly I think $10-15 is absolutely fine. My dd had a large party last year & was showered with gifts. Some of them would have cost $5, others up to $50. It was a bit overwhelming with the sheer amount of stuff, & then there was family too. I would hate to think people felt obligated to spend more than they felt comfortable with. Her favourite gifts were a pencil case set & a skipping rope that were probably $5 each.
    Our society has such a 'buy buy buy' consumeristic mentality. Buy more 'stuff' at easter, halloween, valentines day. I think we (as a society) are so wasteful & overspend waaaay to much on things that will barely get played with because the house is overflowing with more 'stuff'

Gosh, that was a bit of a vent,sorry! I tend to be finding tangents lately. Must have some pent up frustration, haha. Can you tell I am a minimalist?
    I agree so much stuff, I usually get experiences now - as a few examples a voucher for the local indoor playgrounds like chipmunks etc, trampoline parks, laser tags, ice skating, ten pin bowling or movies...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I'm a hypocrite. I don't want to be seen as "cheap" when giving a present but my kids and I honestly couldn't care how much a present cost. Like you last birthday it was really overwhelming and I have no idea who gave her what. I told a friend to get her fruit loops (I won't buy them as an everyday thing) and she was stoked 😄
    Yes... this is me...especially since its a new school and new parents etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For my older DD's friends i give $20 movie gift cards or $20 smiggle gift cards.
    Seems to go down well

Thanks
    Reviews
    $15-20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is 4 and I think 10-15 is ample for this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always buy books from kmart as birthday presents and they are cheap. I would be really happy if someone gives books as presents for my kids no matter how cheap they are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's a whole class party (ie, not a close friend of one of my kids), I spend $10, because I figure they must get so much stuff at them. I'll buy a book, or some stationary, or a cheap dress up....basically something that won't clutter their house.
    If it's a close friend, I spend max of $25 (mainly on my older kid's friends).
    Honestly, I think more than that is too much. If I buy things on sale, I still look at presents that would only cost $25 max. I would hate for a parent to think I spent $50 on their child, and I would hate to think that someone spent that on mine, tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Going rate for birthday presents

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    If it's a whole class party (ie, not a close friend of one of my kids), I spend $10, because I figure they must get so much stuff at them. I'll buy a book, or some stationary, or a cheap dress up....basically something that won't clutter their house.
    If it's a close friend, I spend max of $25 (mainly on my older kid's friends).
    Honestly, I think more than that is too much. If I buy things on sale, I still look at presents that would only cost $25 max. I would hate for a parent to think I spent $50 on their child, and I would hate to think that someone spent that on mine, tbh.
    I don't mind what people spend on my child, but if I'm happy to spend $50 on their child, then so be it. I'm not a person to have a stock pile of gifts in the cupboard that I bought on sale (and I'm not having a go at people who do that). I like to ask the parent what the child's interests are and then buy according to what they're into at the time, as well as a piece of clothing.
    Last edited by siansmum; 31-03-2016 at 16:53.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    I don't mind what people spend on my child, but if I'm happy to spend $50 on their child, then so be it. I'm not a person to have a stock pile of gifts in the cupboard that I bought on sale (and I'm not having a go at people who do that). I like to ask the parent what the child's interests are and then buy according to what they're into at the time, as well as a piece of clothing.
    I think that's fine - people should spend what they are comfortable with. We are on a low single income, & usually have around 3 -4 birthday parties a month, so I usually spend $10-15. Sometimes less if I get some good specials (I am pretty good at finding a bargain ) If you are comfortable spending $50, then why not!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

siansmum  (31-03-2016)