+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Importing FE back to Australia from South Africa?

Hi
    I am wondering if any one has experience of getting their frozen embies back to Australia. Having done two trips to for Donor Egg treatment in Europe (unfortunately 2 x CP no baby) the travel and accom costs really add up for FET. I know you can't get them back from Greece but from what I have found so far it seems it may be possible from South Africa. Anyone done it or know of anyone.

I am contemplating another go but would like to do follow up FET at home?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

From my understanding you cannot get them sent back to Australia as South Africa use anonymous donation. Australian law requires that donors be known, it is the same reason you cannot get them back from Greece. Any FET would have to also be done in South Africa.

Good luck if you do choose Sth Africa, I went to Sth Africa in Jan last year for donor eggs and was lucky enough to be successful. My beautiful twins are now 6 months old. We used Cape Fertility and would highly recommend them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI
    Thanks Landi68 for your input.,

I actually got a response from South Africa and it can be done as long as your state allows it (looking at the legislation it seems NSW won't but all other states will, Vic makes your application go before a committee but as long as they are not be onsold it is okay.)

Here is what SA said.

It is possible to export the remaining embryos to Australia as long as the
    law in your state allows it and your clinic is willing to accept embryos
    from an anonymous donor. I have a recipient who has done this before (a
    bit of a mission) - please see information attached.

In real costs they are saying around $3400AUD. This is worth considering as a return business class flight is more than that and if there are lots of frozen I could afford to do more cycles at home.....

Greece you can't as their laws do not allow for export not because you can't import to Australia.

Definitely food for thought....

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good to hear, it must have changed since we first enquired. I asked my IVF clinic about having them transferred to them and they advised it was illegal due to the anonymous nature of the donation. We were advised that to use the embryo's in Australia we must have the donor's details to be lodged with the donors registry. It's good that the law has been changed to allow it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by somedaysassy View Post
    HI

I actually got a response from South Africa and it can be done as long as your state allows it (looking at the legislation it seems NSW won't but all other states will, Vic makes your application go before a committee but as long as they are not be onsold it is okay.)

Here is what SA said.

In real costs they are saying around $3400AUD. This is worth considering as a return business class flight is more than that and if there are lots of frozen I could afford to do more cycles at home.....

Greece you can't as their laws do not allow for export not because you can't import to Australia.

Hi Somedaysassy,

Just came across your post, and was wondering if you progressed any further with FE transfers from South Africa to Australia?

Any help or tips on next steps to try to get an answer greatly appreciated
    Thank you
    Best wishes
    Smirfy
    Last edited by Smirfy; 12-07-2016 at 18:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by somedaysassy View Post
    HI

Here is what SA said.

Hi someday sassy,
    I'd also be keen to hear where you go to with this process. I see you haven't been online for a while, but would be great to know if you made any progress. I can imagine it is quite an ordeal, and it sounds like you have been through a few without success in Greece.

I'm going to ask my lab here if they could receive them. I see there are special cryogenic companies that transport. My FS has asked me to find out about the possibility, she has also requested that we have 1 session of "implication counselling", and if she gets the ok form the Psychologist, she will be happy to support us in this process with an anonymous donor. So it might be possible.