+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no interest in cars and from my perspective your market would be quite niche as you need customers who can actually tell it is a replica. I go to craft markets a lot and would not pay more than $15 for a wooden car that size.

I also craft and keep thinking I would love to get paid for it but when I do the math (materials + time - reasonable sell price) I am always much better off in my day job!

Possibly setting up a stall at Show n Shines with samples and taking custom orders could work - if no one is doing this already. I'd say the people at those would be your ideal customers (car mad and appreciate old fashioned craftsmanship).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (25-03-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Wooden toys and furniture seem to be quite popular at the moment. It's definitely something that would catch my eye at a craft market. If it's made out of sustainable products too then you could work with that crowd (like Eco Toys but Australian made)!

I've seen some lovely wooden products at craft markets for adults - it's definitely something I would buy if finances allowed.

I would probably pay up to $20 for that (I'm a poor student). More for anything customer made. I'd certainly go for custom made toy boxes, furniture etc. Locally made and sustainable would be a big plus for me.

In terms of making money from it, as a pp said, it may not compare to a "day" job. But if you love what you're doing then that may not matter so much.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (25-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    End of the day Im chasing work / life balance.

Closure of company I was working for has forced my hand to look for work. Im not interested in employing other people anymore and my days as a tradesman / builder on the tools are numbered. An older dad (45) of young children

Working from home and watching my kids grow up has a huge appeal.

Obviously i need to make enough to make ends meet. Ive made wooden pens and sold them for average price of $45 while other pens in markets sell for $15 -$25. To look at their finish amd fine is often chalk and cheese but to the untrained eye or those not intetested the only difference they notice is the price.

When it comes to markets I obviously weould have to choose my markets.

Appreciating all the input thus far. I expected to hear a full range such as I have and hope more comment so i can et a better general feel.
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 25-03-2016 at 20:16.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

mummybear13  (25-03-2016),VicPark  (25-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Something I've looked for and never found is a decent wooden shape sorter. All of the ones I've come across, the shapes are around, if not smaller, than a 20c piece which isn't appropriate for a toddler (mine anyway). I would prefer pieces to be a bit larger than a 50c piece.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Something I've looked for and never found is a decent wooden shape sorter. All of the ones I've come across, the shapes are around, if not smaller, than a 20c piece which isn't appropriate for a toddler (mine anyway). I would prefer pieces to be a bit larger than a 50c piece.
    Jig saw style?

As in shapes cut to recess into a flat board
    Last edited by DaveTTC; 25-03-2016 at 22:00.