+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,601
    Thanks
    3,193
    Thanked
    1,883
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Refuses formula at daycare

    I'm usually quite confident with feeding choices for my DD but this one I'm a bit unsure of...

    DD is 9 months old and has been mixed fed since she was 4 weeks, although primarily breastfed. She had always been happy to have a bottle of formula provided to her by anyone.

    DD started daycare at 7 months old and won't drink formula there. I thought because she'd been mixed fed from so young there would be no problems, I was wrong

    She eats plenty of solids and drinks lots of water at daycare.

    She is BF in the morning and evening and every 2-3 hr overnight.

    When she isn't at daycare she will BF during the day. I don't make an effort to BF, DD will grab my b00bs and start feeding of her own accord

    I'm not sure if I should ask her carers to really push her to drink formula during the day?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    443
    Thanks
    599
    Thanked
    263
    Reviews
    0
    Go with your gut instinct! Me, personally I wouldn't get them to push it. She's still getting breastmilk, eating heaps etc. I provided expressed breastmilk for my DD at daycare, she wasn't that interested in it. I think the older kids eating and drinking water distracts them and they want to copy! (Obviously if weight gain is a concern, get them to push it more)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,601
    Thanks
    3,193
    Thanked
    1,883
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad84 View Post
    Go with your gut instinct! Me, personally I wouldn't get them to push it. She's still getting breastmilk, eating heaps etc. I provided expressed breastmilk for my DD at daycare, she wasn't that interested in it. I think the older kids eating and drinking water distracts them and they want to copy! (Obviously if weight gain is a concern, get them to push it more)
    Thank you. I don't have a gut instinct on this one, happy to hear others Weight gain is not an issue, DD is 98th percentile for height and off the charts for weight. She looks like a bald two year old 😂

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,680
    Thanks
    7,567
    Thanked
    6,384
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    If she's getting enough intake and is happy, I wouldn't push.

    My daughter refused to feed at all at childcare however we had big weight issues and she kept getting UTI's so they pushed on.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,174
    Thanks
    1,432
    Thanked
    7,805
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Refuses formula at daycare

    My youngest never had formula and started daycare at 6 months. She refused so much expressed milk there in bottles I gave up and made sure I breastfed her when I dropped her off and as soon as I arrived to pick her up.

    If they're eating solids on the other days I wouldn't worry. But my daughter was only in care 2 days a week at that age so it wasn't worth the worry.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,880
    Thanks
    5,205
    Thanked
    3,905
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My middle child also refused bottles at that age in daycare. But she survived with food and water. Again no weight issues plus it was only 2 days a week.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,079
    Thanks
    992
    Thanked
    3,200
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My youngest never had formula and started daycare at 6 months. She refused so much expressed milk there in bottles I gave up and made sure I breastfed her when I dropped her off and as soon as I arrived to pick her up.

    If they're eating solids on the other days I wouldn't worry. But my daughter was only in care 2 days a week at that age so it wasn't worth the worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    My middle child also refused bottles at that age in daycare. But she survived with food and water. Again no weight issues plus it was only 2 days a week.
    Same here. DS fed on drop off and pick up. And he was only at CC 2 days a week.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Help: toilet training 3 yr old who REFUSES to sit on the toilet or potty
    By Qwerty in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 20:51
  2. Formula for daycare questions
    By Pearlygirl in forum Mixed Breast & Bottle Feeding Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 14:12
  3. Family Daycare ???
    By RuffledPansy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2015, 13:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Shapland Swim SchoolsSemi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›