+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 202
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,246
    Thanks
    6,367
    Thanked
    17,670
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Honestly I don't see equality where it needs to be for several generations yet bc it is so deep rooted.

    But my contribution is raising sons that believe a degree in science is for anyone, not just men. That would never be mentally or physically abusive to their partners (including other men if they are gay). If their wife decides she wants to be a SAHM that he geuinely respects her role and doesn't make snide "what do you do all day" comments. That as bosses that they hire the best person for the job, no matter their sex and to support their female employees with families.

    And of course I will, and am already teaching my daughter to fight for her dreams and her rights, both occupationally, in her relationships, in life in general
    Last edited by delirium; 10-03-2016 at 09:05.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (10-03-2016),atomicmama  (10-03-2016),babyno1onboard  (11-03-2016),Gentoo  (10-03-2016)

  3. #182
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,486
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I hope my girls grow up with a different reality to mine. I work and have children so am trying to lead by example. My husband is extremely hands on to the point I'd say he often does more than me.

    I'm also going to actively encourage them not to become lawyers.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (11-03-2016),binnielici  (10-03-2016),turquoisecoast  (10-03-2016)

  5. #183
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,543
    Thanks
    5,929
    Thanked
    4,975
    Reviews
    21
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I know this is a only a small example, but again talks of a greater gender issue.

    I called the real estate agent that we purchased our land through a couple of years ago (we have dealt with him a few times now, so have a good relationship) asking about pricing & getting our land revalued as we've done a lot of work on it since purchasing. We had a good chat about it & then he went away & did some research, walked the land to see the changes, did up an estimate, and then...

    Called my husband to tell him the estimated value. No call to me.

    Being overlooked or ignored in business dealings has happened to me more times than I can count. I could give hundreds of examples. It's not only rude, but is insulting & the older I get the more it p!sses me off.
    The amount of times I have pulled up people for this is beyond a joke.

    When I was looking for my first car, I took dh (dp at the time) along with me. The money was in my bank account, the car would be in my name, I was solely making the decision and I know enough about cars to ask the right questions, yet the sales people would completely ignore me and only converse with dh.
    The same scenario happens whenever we're purchasing household items. Mind you, I worked in an electrical store, so have more knowledge than dh.



    To answer @A-Squared - I don't ignore gender biased behaviour. For instance, in my above scenarios, I will point out what they're doing.

    I'm raising my daughters to know they don't have to fit in the stereotypical gender mould, or that their worth is less than a man's. I want then to always speak up for what is right, to never feel like they have to just accept that's the way it is.

    As for things in the broader community, not yet. But I have every intention to when it's possible.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (10-03-2016),MsViking  (11-03-2016),Summer  (10-03-2016)

  7. #184
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,869
    Thanks
    3,225
    Thanked
    1,513
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    I know this is a only a small example, but again talks of a greater gender issue.

    I called the real estate agent that we purchased our land through a couple of years ago (we have dealt with him a few times now, so have a good relationship) asking about pricing & getting our land revalued as we've done a lot of work on it since purchasing. We had a good chat about it & then he went away & did some research, walked the land to see the changes, did up an estimate, and then...

    Called my husband to tell him the estimated value. No call to me.

    Being overlooked or ignored in business dealings has happened to me more times than I can count. I could give hundreds of examples. It's not only rude, but is insulting & the older I get the more it p!sses me off.

    I know in this thread a lot of issues have come up about work / child-rearing / household as they rightly should. But one of the biggest hurdles I think that undermines everything is the stereotyping of women in the media. It is so insidious & pervasive that we hardly even realize how damaging it is, & how much the media informs our cultural standards.

    Has anyone seen the movie MissRepresentation? That was brilliant in highlighting this issue.
    This has happened to me too, multiple times, even though I'm typically the one in our relationship who manages all the money and business stuff.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (11-03-2016),Summer  (11-03-2016)

  9. #185
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,118
    Thanks
    2,008
    Thanked
    1,554
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hmm, this is interesting because I don't believe we are equal at all- how could anyone actually believe that? BUT I don't think we need International Women's Day.

    Then again, there are a lot of "Days" that I feel are unnecessary so...

    Do I identify as a feminist? Yes and no... I'm an equalist- I don't support women's rights so much as equal rights. May seems like splitting hairs, but that's how my brain words it.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    Ngaiz  (11-03-2016)

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,583
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked
    2,093
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My view .. If we have international women's day why don't we have international men's day? why do men get left out ? That's not equality

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,923
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,745
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    My view .. If we have international women's day why don't we have international men's day? why do men get left out ? That's not equality
    November 19th

    If people want this date to be something more people know about then those who feel it's important to recognise need to get vocal about it.

  13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (11-03-2016),atomicmama  (11-03-2016),Bongley  (11-03-2016),delirium  (11-03-2016),DT75  (12-03-2016),FearlessLeader  (11-03-2016),Lillynix  (11-03-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (11-03-2016),MsViking  (11-03-2016),Ngaiz  (11-03-2016),Stretched  (11-03-2016)

  14. #188
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    5,946
    Thanks
    1,973
    Thanked
    2,080
    Reviews
    16
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    My view .. If we have international women's day why don't we have international men's day? why do men get left out ? That's not equality
    Ohhhhh...wow. Okay. So as @SassyMummy already said, there IS an IMD, and it's November 19th. So all those poor men that feel left out, can have their day, if they want to celebrate it.

    But in reality, do men actually NEED a day of recognition and celebration for being men? Men are the top. They are the supreme. They are the standard to which everyone else (read: women) are held. They are not fighting an uphill battle against inequality like women are. They aren't beaten, raped, abused, tortured, victim blamed in the way that women are. They aren't the majority poor, they aren't the majority single parent. They are highly represented in government. They can be anything that they want to do and climb that corporate ladder without constantly hitting that glass ceiling.

    I'm not going to continue, because I'm sure you get the idea. But really. When is International Men's Day? It's November 19th. So whilst the privileged men will be celebrating their maleness and everything that they have accomplished in this world for simply being men, I'll be remembering all the women in this world who have suffered, and continue to suffer, at the hands of men.

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (11-03-2016),atomicmama  (11-03-2016),LaDiDah  (11-03-2016),MsViking  (11-03-2016)

  16. #189
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,331
    Thanks
    1,647
    Thanked
    2,336
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Do I identify as a feminist? Yes and no... I'm an equalist- I don't support women's rights so much as equal rights. May seems like splitting hairs, but that's how my brain words it.
    I used to label myself an equalist but I did a lot of research a few years back following some discussions I read on here and realised that my belief of what feminism is was based on publicity of a radicalised minority. A bit like assuming being Muslim means being a member of ISIS. Through that process I realised I actually am, and need to be, a feminist.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

    Mama Mirabelle  (11-03-2016),MsViking  (11-03-2016)

  18. #190
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,059
    Thanks
    3,980
    Thanked
    2,326
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Ohhhhh...wow. Okay. So as @SassyMummy already said, there IS an IMD, and it's November 19th. So all those poor men that feel left out, can have their day, if they want to celebrate it.

    But in reality, do men actually NEED a day of recognition and celebration for being men? Men are the top. They are the supreme. They are the standard to which everyone else (read: women) are held. They are not fighting an uphill battle against inequality like women are. They aren't beaten, raped, abused, tortured, victim blamed in the way that women are. They aren't the majority poor, they aren't the majority single parent. They are highly represented in government. They can be anything that they want to do and climb that corporate ladder without constantly hitting that glass ceiling.

    I'm not going to continue, because I'm sure you get the idea. But really. When is International Men's Day? It's November 19th. So whilst the privileged men will be celebrating their maleness and everything that they have accomplished in this world for simply being men, I'll be remembering all the women in this world who have suffered, and continue to suffer, at the hands of men.
    Ummm wow to you! The day could be used to raise awareness of male dominated health issues, such as suicide.


 

Similar Threads

  1. International clinics
    By dragonflyblu in forum Egg Donation
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 24-02-2017, 11:47
  2. International traveling egg donors
    By Daddy dreams Melbourne in forum Egg Donation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2015, 12:32
  3. International Bereaved Mothers Day
    By MaximumStarlight in forum Pregnancy Loss Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 08:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
SoftmatsSoftmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›