+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    Just wait till she hits the f'ing 4s 😜
    Please don't say that dd1 is the spawn of satan at the moment but by 4 she'll be an angel again- fingers in ears not listening!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (05-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Just adding @JR03 I had one 3 year old and parented her VERY differently to how I dealt with her siblings. I was similar to you. It's easy for us with a few kids to say we just ignore it or move on but I know how hard it is when you have only one and they know they have your full attention.
    She has 2 kids.

I don't pay attention to tantrums. When I had one child I walked away as well. There is no point in trying to negotiate with a child having a tantrum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Please don't say that dd1 is the spawn of satan at the moment but by 4 she'll be an angel again- fingers in ears not listening!
    Haha! 5 has been wonderful, but could be that she is in school 5 days a week

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

jb23  (06-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Respectfully parenting a threenager

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Each child is different. I thought I got out of the toddler years ok but must say the teenage years frighten me. Not looking forward to that.

DD1 is way more difficult now at 7 (almost 8) than she was ever at all those ages put together

DS was a really difficult 2 year old but has matured more each year and is awesome now. He's 5 (6in July) and just started school.

DD2 is 3 and not too bad except we've hit a bump in the road now since she's changed to a bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2yo is proving far more difficult than her brother ever was. She's now 2y8m, and was a delight up until about a month ago. Now it's tantrums and squealing. I have more breast surgery coming up soon (related to my cancer diagnosis, etc etc), and I don't and won't have any tolerance for such behaviour. So I generally smack (only ever on the back of the hand, just enough to give her a shock), yell, or put her in the laundry until she calms down. When she's being good she gets lots of kisses and cuddles.

Not saying that's the right approach for you, but I don't think I would be doing her any favours in the future (behaviour at kindy, school, etc) if I let her get away with it.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    She has 2 kids.

I don't pay attention to tantrums. When I had one child I walked away as well. There is no point in trying to negotiate with a child having a tantrum.
    No I don't think so.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

JR03  (04-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    No I don't think so.
    Oh? I have usernames mixed up

Still, I never had just a 3 year old as I had all my kids 2 years apart

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not much advice here, still trying to work it out myself but the naughty chair is getting quite a workout these days. I think you are getting there, as the others have said imagine if you had more than 1 then you just wouldn't have time for negotiation and that's ok I think. My dad was a disciplinarian and I think I turned out ok (I was youngest of three)

3yrs old is far worse than 2 with my boy. Also, the whining!!! Oh my god. Last saturday both my partner and I were just broken by the incessant, unrelenting whining. I always suspected I wasn't a toddler person. Not looking forward to the teenage years for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Oh? I have usernames mixed up

Still, I never had just a 3 year old as I had all my kids 2 years apart
    Which is why it's different. My last 3 were all 2 years apart and I didn't notice the ages much at all. But what my first she was 3 and a half when I had her sister and I definitely think I parented her differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think my opinion on tantrums is different to a lot of you who have responded, it is either her response to a need not being met or her having emotions that she doesn't know how to handle. I never see a tantrum as being naughty or acting out, it's just the only way she knows how to deal with the situation. Which is why I don't ignore her or put her in a room on her own; I want to help her work through it and begin to learn how to react to those emotions. And only having one child, I do have the luxury of focusing all of my attention on her.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (04-03-2016),HollyGolightly81  (04-03-2016),Taiyed  (04-03-2016)