+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i had the injection both times, both times placenta arrived quickly, with ds2 I was up, showered etc and cuddling him by 30 minutes post delivery

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the injection with my first as I had been labouring for a really long time and the OB was worried about blood loss. Second birth I didn't have it (quick 2 hour labour with no intervention). It took quite a while to deliver the placenta (not sure how long exactly but I would say over 45 minutes) and the midwife ended up having to apply some traction. I don't know if it was anything to do with not having the injection but I ended up having issues with extended bleeding - an ultrasound at 7 weeks post partum showed a clot at the top of my uterus. The bleeding finally stopped at 9 weeks.
    I think if I was to have another bub I would opt for the injection just so I knew everything was over with and could relax a bit more.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll discuss it a bit more with my midwife today.

This is going to sound silly considering you get it after giving birth, but is it an Ouchie needle?? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post

This is going to sound silly considering you get it after giving birth, but is it an Ouchie needle?? Lol
    Its a quick shot but yes, I found it ouchie!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata  (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As for me, I got the injection. I had no issues with placenta or blood loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post

I didn't feel it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't feel it either. Too busy distracted by bubs. And after childbirth nothing really hurts lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (01-03-2016),Mad84  (01-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't have it with my first and it was all fine. With my second, I was induced and I opted to have he injection that time. It wasn't particularly effective lol. It ended up with two midwives and a dr yanking it out and some was left behind, and I ended up with an infection. So, I guess my point is that it doesn't always guarantee that it will all work out quickly.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Very true, and something else to think about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    1st baby - they gave me the injection immediately after birth. I didn't realise at the time but they were concerned about blood loss (I lost a touch under 1000 mls) and the placenta wouldn't budge so I was whisked up to theater 30 mins after she was born
    2nd baby - born at home accidentally, took about 40 mins to get transferred to hospital. Placenta still wouldn't budge, so had the injection about 50mins after the birth. With a bit of traction from the midwife it finally came out.
    3rd baby - she gave me 15 mins after the birth for the placenta to come on its own, it didn't, so I got the injection, and once again with a bit of pulling from the midwife it came out about 20 mins after birth.

So in my case I always seem to need the injection and a bit of extra help. Maybe you could ask your midwife to take a wait and see approach?