+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    tbh you wouldn't need to do black face to dress up as MJ 😂
    Why isn't what you said bullying?

Sigh. This thread has gone off rail.

I think she legit dressed up as someone she admired. Her friend dressed up as a Mexican person i think? And she dressed as Kayne.

A few weeks ago two people dressed as aboriginals. I really don't care. I don't find it offensive. Or racist.

Why can people dress as cleopatra , Indians etc! It's exactly the same IMO. It was a fancy dress if anything the other team mate should of approached her not online

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post

I think she legit dressed up as someone she admired. Her friend dressed up as a Mexican person i think? And she dressed as Kayne.

A few weeks ago two people dressed as aboriginals. I really don't care. I don't find it offensive. Or racist.

Why can people dress as cleopatra , Indians etc! It's exactly the same IMO. It was a fancy dress if anything the other team mate should of approached her not online
    what?

bullying to whom?

it was a joke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    what?

bullying to whom?

it was a joke.
    So it's ok to joke about the colour of MJs skin colour changing but not ok to dress up as someone.... Hmmm ok.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The point was she dressed up as Kayne not a 'black person' so I don't think it's offensive just accurate

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

amyd  (23-02-2016),kim85  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It's actually not okay for people to dress up as Indians, not sure why you thought self-aware people would find it acceptable?

Cleopatra was white, I believe.

I'm also not understanding why you would think her comment was bullying? What was bullying-like about it?

Plus, yes what the other girl was dressed as was racist, too if we go into that. Her outfit was an outfit relating to Dia De Muertos, a special event for and by Mexican people (Day of the Dead). It's just people aren't as aware of that...here especially. That is opening up another can of worms for this thread as well.

I'm not really sure how many people can say before others understand. It's not that she dressed up as Kanye. It's that she went in black face.
    Last edited by hopeful1986; 23-02-2016 at 15:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So it's ok to joke about the colour of MJs skin colour changing but not ok to dress up as someone.... Hmmm ok.
    omg lighten up. I thought the thread could do with a bit of humour.

sheesh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    The point was she dressed up as Kayne not a 'black person' so I don't think it's offensive just accurate
    But Kanye IS a black person? Like, why does it matter if she was specifically dressing up as him? What is it about "you can dress up as a black person just don't do black face" don't people get?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (23-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I get what you're saying and I think you raise a really good point regarding expecting all Aussies to know about it. You can't expect that, but by also not having a uproar about it means that a whole lot of Aussies still go around thinking it's ok iykwim. If we don't flame the behaviour then generations of people continue to not see "what the big deal is".
    It's definitely a good opportunity to bring attention to the issue and educate more people, and I hope it's a positive outcome to a negative situation, but it's more the direct flaming of Alice Kunek that I disagree with. Especially given she has apologised and clarified that she didn't intend for it to be a racial issue. As I said earlier, she was emulating a particular celebrity's appearance, easy mistake (in my opinion).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Not *intentionally* offensive.

ETA and being accurate doesn't automatically make something less offensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure racist is quite the right term here - I'd describe it more as insensitive and stupid. Dressing up as someone who is a different race is not the issue, it's painting one's face black as this (as PPs have mentioned) has historical context and could cause offence.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast