+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Annoying, dry, tickely cough

I have such an annoying dry cough that is constant in the evenings and driving me crazy. Please hit me with your best home remedies because I'm sick of peeing my pants πŸ˜”.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My only suggestion is lemon/honey hot drink.

Do you think a humidifier can help? Moisten the throat or something (obviously a little clueless here lol)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    My only suggestion is lemon/honey hot drink.

Do you think a humidifier can help? Moisten the throat or something (obviously a little clueless here lol)?
    Been doing that, helps a little but mostly just gives me more to pee! πŸ˜‚

I've read turmeric with boiling water, pepper and honey works but keep forgetting to buy some. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Been doing that, helps a little but mostly just gives me more to pee! πŸ˜‚

I've read turmeric with boiling water, pepper and honey works but keep forgetting to buy some. Has anyone tried that?
    Yes. Make honey lemon ginger tea. I just put it all in mug. ..then pour boiling water on it. Then add a little turmeric.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love little coughs ivy leaf extract works perfectly for that annoying cough, plus humidifier and wear a singlet at night to keep your chest warm, with maybe some Vicks on your chest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    I love little coughs ivy leaf extract works perfectly for that annoying cough, plus humidifier and wear a singlet at night to keep your chest warm, with maybe some Vicks on your chest.
    We have that but I googled that Ivy leaf extract can't be taken in pregnancy πŸ˜•

Thanks
    Reviews
    Durotruss is safe during pregnancy.

I was at my wits end when I lost my voice from coughing so much and no other natural remedy helped.
    I caved and bought the cough medicine and it helped x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you had a cold at all that's caused the cough? Otherwise the dry cough might mean asthma or even reflux - if the acid is irritating the back of your throat it can cause a dry cough. Both of these would fit with it being worse in the evening.
    Just for symptomatic relief I'd suck on some honey and lemon lozenges but maybe get your chest listened to at the dr just in case it is a bit of asthma and maybe try some reflux treatment if safe in pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Durotuss has a range of cough mixtures, some of which are not safe in pregnancy. Pholcodeine is safe in pregnancy. Why don't you go have a chat to your Pharmacist? They should be able to recommend something.
    Did the cough come out of nowhere? Has it been hanging around for more than 2 weeks?
    If you don't know what's causing it might be worth looking into a bit further. I know I got terrible sinuses in pregnancy (something to do with increased blood flow apparently), which caused a dry cough, I treated the sinus problem with a nasal spray & the cough resolved.
    Hope you get some relief!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Thanks ladies, I am currently living in the UK and have already spoken to GP/midwife/pharmacist and they there's nothing I can take except lemon and honey or if I can find plain lemon and honey lozenges, which I haven't been able to yet. GP listened to my chest a few weeks ago. I do have heartburn but I think it's more from my sinuses, I'm not congested but I know there's just an increase in mucus when you're pregnant that just slowly trickles down your throat and causes a tickle. It went away for about a week and now it's back again and with the sore rib it's making me pretty miserableπŸ˜•. It can be throughout the day but night times are mostly when it's really full on and I can't stop it and then I pee and sometimes vomit from it 😩.

I'll have a look in a larger pharmacy this morning but pharmacists here seem to be of the mind that you can have nothing in pregnancy and GP and midwife just say to ask the pharmacist. I still need to give the turmeric a go so will try and remember to grab some today. Where I park for swim lessons has an organic/health food grocery store and then a health food vitamin store so I'll try to remember to pop in those to see what they have, somebody has to have lemon and honey lozenges somewhere! Also do you think manuka honey would work better? Although doubt I'll find it for under Β£50 here!

Oh pregnancy. The gift that keeps on giving.