ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I was a kid, we were allowed to have a birthday party every second year. On the other years, we just had a family dinner or did something small. I don't think kids need to have a big party every year, as long as their birthday is acknowledged and celebrated.

Although having said that, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a party every year if that's what you want to do. The only thing I don't get, is parents who spend a fortune and hold a massive event for their child's birthday before they are even old enough to know it's their birthday First birthday we did a bbq in a park with room for all the cousins and other kids to play, and invited extended family. I thought that was a decent size celebration for a kit that wouldn't even remember it, but then we had people asking why we didn't even give our poor child the opportunity to do a 'cake smash' lol, I didn't even know that was a thing at the time :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Hey not saying it's the same with your family just wanted to note that I only had two birthday parties growing up - one when I was about 8 (my parents invited all their friends kids) and one when I was 13 (which was a great party). I was jelous of my friends whose parents would plan awesome parties for them. And ****ed at my parents. I never told them though so they would probably be unaware that I hold a grudge. However in my case it was a sign of bigger issues at play - I'm sure it's not the same in your case hence your kids probably feel different.
    I had one or two parties in my childhood. I want to raise my girls to appreciate and not expect.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (16-02-2016),MaybeBabyIVF  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Birthday parties for children ...... every year!

Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    I had one or two parties in my childhood. I want to raise my girls to appreciate and not expect.
    True - good point about kids not expecting something. I think kids can still be appreciative though with more than 2 x birthdays in their childhood . I get your point however due to my own experiences my focus is on raising my boys to enjoy life and not resent their parents. I am not sure what the magical number is for me to reach the perfect balance between expectation/appreciation and enjoyment/not resentment. I am guessing somewhere around the 5 or more mark. Definitely more than 2 - for my family and I.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-02-2016 at 18:09.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    True - good point about kids not expecting something. I think kids can still be appreciative though with more than 2 x birthdays in their childhood . I get your point however due to my own experiences my focus is on raising my boys to enjoy life and not resent their parents. I am not sure what the magical number is for me to reach the perfect balance between expectation/appreciation and enjoyment/not resentment. I am guessing somewhere around the 5 or more mark. Definitely more than 2 - for my family and I.

Like you, I do resent my parents for things, but I was thinking about things today, and even though we didn't have a lot of birthday parties, our birthdays were always special as kids. I don't have a good relationship with my mum, we just don't get along and aren't speaking at the moment, and I haven't spoken to my father for ten years. I resent them more so for not really thinking about us as kids by ripping us out of school, time out of time, think I went to like 12 schools, and we were stuck in the middle of a terrible divorce. In a way they taught me how not to raise my kids. I would love to spoil my kids and spend heaps on them every birthday, but it's important to me that they appreciate what they do get and carry that into adulthood. I don't want to raise children who think they are entitled to stuff. That's just me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'll just add you all have better memories than me. I have no idea how many parties I had as a kid. I just organise them because I actually enjoy them!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Purple Poppy  (16-02-2016),VicPark  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's the overall childhood that counts. I didn't have any birthday parties as a kid. My first party was when I was 21 and worked so paid for it myself.
    I have no resentment towards my parents at all. Growing up we didn't have money and I am from a big family. When it was our birthday we got some extra pocket money and were happy with that.