+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 107 of 107
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,347
    Thanks
    5,786
    Thanked
    4,721
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How can someone in a permanent vegetative state properly consent to their own killing?
    They can't. It would be a decision made by medical professionals and family, much like turning life support off.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,395
    Thanks
    5,947
    Thanked
    4,952
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Good point but people change their minds all the time. How do we know that person isn't lying there regretting their previous decision and wanting to change their mind?
    Perhaps if the law came in there would be a legal requirement that people sign a stat dec stating their wants before granting euthanasia. People can change their minds whenever they like but they must update their stat Dec. this could be overruled if the person is of sound mind when the time comes.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,964
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    They can't. It would be a decision made by medical professionals and family, much like turning life support off.
    glad I am married and that decision is no longer in my parents hands!!!! Scary to think others can determine whether or not to euthanise someone else.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,964
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Perhaps if the law came in there would be a legal requirement that people sign a stat dec stating their wants before granting euthanasia. People can change their minds whenever they like but they must update their stat Dec. this could be overruled if the person is of sound mind when the time comes.
    I just can't stand the thought of someone making a moral stand saying "yep - I will do the right thing by my family and sign up for Euthanisation" then when it comes to the crunch they think "I don't want to go" but it's too late. They signed away their fate already (possibly at a time when they didn't fully comprehend what their choice entailed.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,280
    Thanks
    718
    Thanked
    1,113
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How can someone in a permanent vegetative state properly consent to their own killing?
    My parents and husband know my wishes.explicitly in this field, i am not to be left a vegetable, on life support indefinitely or as a quadraplegic with lots of complications or with major head injury. have nursed too many people in these areas. Told mum id come back to haunt them all for torturing me

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,336
    Thanks
    710
    Thanked
    715
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Good point but people change their minds all the time. How do we know that person isn't lying there regretting their previous decision and wanting to change their mind?
    Because at that point they have no higher consciousness with no ability to change their mind, and with no hope of recovery. Currently the only way by which some of these patients can die is by starving them to death.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,395
    Thanks
    5,947
    Thanked
    4,952
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

    Default Euthanasia - Yes or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I just can't stand the thought of someone making a moral stand saying "yep - I will do the right thing by my family and sign up for Euthanisation" then when it comes to the crunch they think "I don't want to go" but it's too late. They signed away their fate already (possibly at a time when they didn't fully comprehend what their choice entailed.
    Dare I say anyone who would sign such a document would be very strongly pro-euthanasia and they would fully comprehend it. If they get to a point they're given a short time to live they would then make a call. If it was a car accident or something sudden then it falls into the 'turning off life support' category where it's 100% left up to the family. Surely in that scenario you would rather decide than your family. What if both you and you DH were in an accident and it came down to your parents deciding, would't you rather the hospital be bound by the document you signed than your parents wishes??
    Last edited by A-Squared; 07-02-2016 at 22:34.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Heinz Baby BasicsOur BPA Free range offers you a choice for every stage of your baby’s feeding development. You’ll love our ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Anyone have kids with NF1?General Child Health Issues
❤Joyous June/July TTC!❤Conception & Fertility General Chat
OhssIVF
Help with BBT chartConception & Fertility General Chat
Which hospital Liverpool or st George privatePregnancy & Birth General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›