+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,392
    Thanks
    1,519
    Thanked
    885
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default The future

    Just for fun.
    Do you think these things will ever be possible / happen in the future?

    1. Time travel

    2. Artificial intelligence - as in true AI, having consciousness, feelings, free will

    3. Human cloning

    4. Bringing back dinosaurs

    5. Aliens taking over earth

    6. Humans living on another planet


    My answers are:

    1. Time travel
    Impossible. Going back in time would mean reversing what has happened. I don't think you can undo what has already been done.

    2. A I
    Impossible. Just can't imagine a machine having feelings.

    3. Human cloning
    Possible and will happen

    4. Dinosaurs
    Possible but won't happen

    5. Aliens
    Nope

    6. New planet
    Nope

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,097
    Thanks
    2,262
    Thanked
    2,900
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with you on all but 6. I reckon at some stage we'll destroy our own planet and have to move on and find another one to do the same to.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    2,702
    Thanks
    3,645
    Thanked
    1,493
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1. Time travel
    Conflicted on this one lol

    2. A I
    Definitely possible and I think it will happen one day


    3. Human cloning
    Already possible and highly likely it is already happening.

    4. Dinosaurs
    Possible and some idiot will probably do it.

    5. Aliens
    Yup - arrogant to assume we are all alone.

    6. New planet
    Definitely.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in a wormhole
    Posts
    2,784
    Thanks
    4,634
    Thanked
    2,818
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Time travel - no

    AI - yes

    Human cloning - yes but that it will be banned and only done illegally (much like human trafficking at the moment).

    Bring back dinosaurs - yes, but they won't be the same because they will be partly the host animal that has been used to give birth to them.

    Aliens - yes

    New planet - yes

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,732
    Thanks
    906
    Thanked
    2,838
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1. Nope
    2. Yes, but thousands of years from now (presuming the human race hasn't destroyed itself yet by doing something stupid)
    3. Yes
    4. Yes, but then see point 2....
    5. I'm not sure. Possible. My brain hurts when I think about the enormity of the universe and the possibilities within.
    6. Yes

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    653
    Thanks
    813
    Thanked
    223
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it all could happen if not some already.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,342
    Thanks
    5,782
    Thanked
    4,718
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Time travel - no

    AI - yes

    Human cloning - yes but that it will be banned and only done illegally (much like human trafficking at the moment).

    Bring back dinosaurs - yes, but they won't be the same because they will be partly the host animal that has been used to give birth to them.

    Aliens - yes

    New planet - yes
    This, except for aliens taking over Earth. I think there is definitely life on other planets, but I don't know that they would want to take over Earth.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    882
    Thanks
    1,086
    Thanked
    659
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    1. Nope, just never going to be possible. Sorry, Dr Who!

    2. Yep. Humans are just complex biological machines, so eventually we'll create true AI.

    3. Yep, human cloning is coming soon. The thing is, clones might initially be biologically identical, but the experiential iinfluences on us all mean that you can never actually recreate someone.

    4. Yep. I'll be first in line to buy a ticket to Jurassic Park! But there will probably be a fair bit of guess work involved in recreating dinosaur genomes, so they won't be exactly like their predecessors. (We won't know the difference, though.) And it will provide KFC with a source of really big drumsticks!

    5. Nope. While the likelihood is that there is life elsewhere in the universe, the chances of them developing the required technology to travel here, knowing where to travel, and their period of civilisation happening to coincide with our very short length period of civilisation (on a geological timeframe) are so slim that I'm more likely to win the US$1B lottery (and I don't even buy tickets in it.)

    6. Nope. I think it would eventually become technically feasible (maybe in another 200 or so years), were it not for the fact that we're highly likely to wipe ourselves out before then.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 05-02-2016 at 11:46.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roleystone
    Posts
    1,873
    Thanks
    2,594
    Thanked
    2,413
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    1. Time travel

    Unlikely I think


    2. Artificial intelligence - as in true AI, having consciousness, feelings, free will

    Definitely


    3. Human cloning

    Yep, it'll be possible but moral reasoning might squash it


    4. Bringing back dinosaurs

    Already technically possible. Now that they know most dinosaurs are so closely related to birds, they've already managed to switch off the gene inside a chicken egg that makes the embryo lose their teeth and develop a beak and lose the bony tail. They just haven't been allowed to hatch it so far. But scientists often just can't help themselves can they? there'll be a "what harm could it do...." Moment at sometime in history. I've just finished reading Flying Dinosaurs, a book with all the evidence they've discovered that dinosaurs were warm blooded birds, not reptiles and it is fascinating! I thought for a moment that maybe dinosaurs would have been a whole heap less scary with colourful feathers instead of scaly skin, but then there were some artists impressions in the middle of the book and.....NOPE. Haha. Watching my pet ducks and chickens I would have to say, some dinosaurs just got smaller! (Whoops, I wrote a novel to a simple question, can you tell evolutional biology is something I'm slightly passionate about? Lol)


    5. Aliens taking over earth

    I don't think so, I think we'll eff up the earth long before anyone needs to take it over


    6. Humans living on another planet

    If we discover some new planets, yes. We know next to nothing about what's out there yet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,392
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked
    1,522
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicHobgoblin View Post
    I think it all could happen if not some already.
    Which one do you think has already happened?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    1. Nope, just never going to be possible. Sorry, Dr Who!

    2. Yep. Humans are just complex biological machines, so eventually we'll create true AI.

    3. Yep, human cloning is coming soon. The thing is, clones might initially be biologically identical, but the experiential iinfluences on us all mean that you can never actually recreate someone.

    4. Yep. I'll be first in line to buy a ticket to Jurassic Park! But there will probably be a fair bit of guess work involved in recreating dinosaur genomes, so they won't be exactly like their predecessors. (We won't know the difference, though.) And it will provide KFC with a source of really big drumsticks!

    5. Nope. While the likelihood is that there is life elsewhere in the universe, the chances of them developing the required technology to travel here, knowing where to travel, and their period of civilisation happening to coincide with our very short length period of civilisation (on a geological timeframe) are so slim that I'm more likely to win the US$1B lottery (and I don't even buy tickets in it.)

    6. Nope. I think it would eventually become technically feasible (maybe in another 200 or so years), were it not for the fact that we're highly likely to wipe ourselves out before then.
    I was going to reply but yours are exactly the same as what I'd say for all of them!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Cone Biopsy and Future Pregnancy
    By emeraldsandsiamonds in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 11:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
The Health Hub & Glowing ExpectationsGlowing Expectations is conveniently located at The Health Hub in Darlinghurst. We offer pre & post natal personal ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›