+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Silverfish

Does anyone know how to get rid of silverfish permanently?

I did see the silverfish/moth mothballs but mothballs make me sneeze.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the only permanent solution is to move.

I know someone who keeps getting their house professionally treated for them but they can't get rid of them completely.

My friend has been told they live in the walls are and impossible to get rid of them permanently. The best you can hope for is to control the outbreaks.

ETA there are some hints here:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Silverfish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh i feel for you. Silverfish are hell.

We got them in our brand new house after we got some furniture out of storage. They were everywhere; kitchen cupboards, bathroom, bedroom cupboards, basically there wasnt a room in the house that was free of them. In the end we had to get a professional exterminator in and he sprayed the entire house and he got up in the roof and sprayed. It was a massive PITA because he needed to spray every single skirting board in the house so we had to move all the furniture and he sprayed inside every single cupboard so we had to empty every cupboard (basically every room in the house was pulled apart and everything stacked in the middle of the room). The upside is that it was done in Feb 2012 so we've got 4 clear years, the downside is that just last week i found a silverfish in the bathroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I think the only permanent solution is to move.

I know someone who keeps getting their house professionally treated for them but they can't get rid of them completely.

My friend has been told they live in the walls are and impossible to get rid of them permanently. The best you can hope for is to control the outbreaks.

ETA there are some hints here:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Silverfish
    We live in WA so the walls of our house are all brick, I can't see them living in there

Thanks for the link

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    Oh i feel for you. Silverfish are hell.

We got them in our brand new house after we got some furniture out of storage. They were everywhere; kitchen cupboards, bathroom, bedroom cupboards, basically there wasnt a room in the house that was free of them. In the end we had to get a professional exterminator in and he sprayed the entire house and he got up in the roof and sprayed. It was a massive PITA because he needed to spray every single skirting board in the house so we had to move all the furniture and he sprayed inside every single cupboard so we had to empty every cupboard (basically every room in the house was pulled apart and everything stacked in the middle of the room). The upside is that it was done in Feb 2012 so we've got 4 clear years, the downside is that just last week i found a silverfish in the bathroom.
    They're not bad at the moment, but sounds like we'll have to get the professionals in. How long did you have to leave the house when they sprayed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From memory it was only for 4 hours or something. I think however we left it over night before putting everything away again.

Ours started out not too bad as well, just in one bedroom (I think they were in a bookcase that was in storage that we put in the bedroom). Within about 12 months though they were everywhere. I remember opening the crockery drawer and there was silverfish on the dinner plates, in our pots and pans drawers, in the kids chest of drawers, in our linen closet, in the bath tub. Gruesome little creatures.