+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Again, very interesting to hear how other states' public schools run.

Every NSW public school has an intensive transition to school program.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'm absolutely gobsmacked to read that there are schools that don't offer transition programs! Our reception teacher visits the following year's students at their kindy (four in the area) on three different occasions, then they do two half days and a full day at school. And we recognise this is a bare minimum transition!

Maybe some of you could approach your parent reps and suggest it? I think it puts students, families and even schools on the back foot tbh.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @harvs the parent reps at the state school we were at had zero influence. Honestly we just had the most ineffective and useless principal (who thankfully has left).

So much in WA seems to fall on how good your school principal is. It's pretty hopeless actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I'm absolutely gobsmacked to read that there are schools that don't offer transition programs! Our reception teacher visits the following year's students at their kindy (four in the area) on three different occasions, then they do two half days and a full day at school. And we recognise this is a bare minimum transition!

Maybe some of you could approach your parent reps and suggest it? I think it puts students, families and even schools on the back foot tbh.
    That makes me feel better. I had no idea they did that in SA. DD had 2 x 1 hour sessions at kindy last year and starts on Monday. I feel that wasn't enough though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am just generalising here but want to ask has primary school changed a lot compared to 30 years ago? I don't remember getting much homework at all from my primary school days and a lot of the time it was fun and plenty of playtime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Again, very interesting to hear how other states' public schools run.

Every NSW public school has an intensive transition to school program.
    I wouldn't count 2x 1.5hr orientation sessions as 'intensive', which is what my DD had in preparation for starting kindergarten on Friday!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I am just generalising here but want to ask has primary school changed a lot compared to 30 years ago? I don't remember getting much homework at all from my primary school days and a lot of the time it was fun and plenty of playtime.
    You will find homework is school and even teacher dependent.

At a bare minimum first year of school will involve readers and sight words.
    There may also be spelling and a worksheet, but this depends on the school and was something my kids have all gotten from year 1 onwards. (until one of children struck gold with a teacher who did not believe in homework).

Teachers will always say for the littlies, don't spend more than 15 minutes per night. However with mine I found it always took them longer than 15 minutes. Especially if the school were recommending little activities done in conjunction with the readers to test their comprehension. examples of activities my kids school's recommended were - retell tell the story in your own words, record yourself reading the book and read it back, can't remember what else.

Then for the sight words, the school may recommend playing games with them to help the kids learn them eg making up little cards and playing memory, hide and seek with the words, using playdough to fashion letters and form sight words.

It always took us more than 15 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Heaps. I remember when I was in kinder in the 80's we had naps, played. It was like DC and pre school is now. Now Kinder they get homework almost straight away. There is no time for naps, they are straight into letters and numbers. Most kids are expected to write their name, count to at least 20. There is an assessment they do (maybe just NSW??) called GoodStart or something similar and what is expected is quite huge.

It isn't the teacher or even the school's fault. They have to follow the curriculum and follow outcomes set for them. This is the reason I believe every child should attend pre school/pre-prep and start at turning 6 that year. It isn't like it was when we were kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsIsMe View Post
    I wouldn't count 2x 1.5hr orientation sessions as 'intensive', which is what my DD had in preparation for starting kindergarten on Friday!
    Ours go for 4-5 months