+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Should I get my hair done? Thoughts?

I've been very fortunate to have a mum as a hairdresser, and with the exception of 2 years living overseas, I've never been to another hairdresser (and as such never had to pay for it!). I have long, naturally wavy brownish blondish hair and usually just get highlights (and consequent roots) done every 2 months or so, and the odd trim.

My mum is going through a stressful time atm, moving house etc and I'm in need of some hair love. I don't really want to bother her (even though she would oblige) and DH suggested I go to another hairdresser (despite the fact I told him it would Prob cost $200). He's quite keen for me to do something new with my hair (not dramatic, just more than what I normally have done).

I'm not sure whether or not it's a good idea... ? A bit worried I would offend my mum by going elsewhere (I know exactly what she would say), a bit worried at just how much it might cost and a bit worried about doing anything too dramatic in case I don't like it. I'm also 35 wks pregnant and not up for a style that requires a lot if maintenance etc.

What should I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're hair sounds the same as mine.

A shoulder length bob often suits this hair type but it is quite a dramatic change from long hair. Of course a colour change will mean more maintenance. I also keep thinking I should do something different but end up just sticking with the same old foils and trim! So I guess I'm not much help.

I don't think your mum should feel offended, she's busy and you're giving her a break.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (24-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I like the idea of a lob too. colour wise I'd stick to the current formula, it's too hard and time consuming to do any dramatic colour changes now. I assume you lighten your hair? going darker would be too high maintenance now and I don't feel now is the right time to be making big life decisions (well if you're anything like me and feeling super indecisive lol).

a long bob is easily manageable, looks good and would be a change from the long wavy look.

my last hairdresser visit resulted in a fringe. I consulted dh and he said whatever you're happy with....

I'm happy with it (had had one before so knew it'd work) but the maintenance is getting a bit annoying.

not sure if I'll keep it now.

re your mum being offended, could you just chat to her and say oh dh bought me this voucher as a little surprise to spoil me before the birth, just wanted to let you know etc?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hehe I posted this in another thread recently so I'm cutting and pasting here lol (I also had a whole thread about this hair restyle as my friend had been doing my hair for 10 years and I went somewhere new for this big change and didn't know how to tell her 😁):
    I just had my hair cut and coloured before xmas from long darkish brown with highlights to a bob above my shoulders in a soft blonde with slightly darker tones (natural colour is light/medium brown) and slightly darker roots so lighter ends.
    My hair is wavy but with the shorter style it's quite curly with some curling product in so most days I wash, let it dry naturally to let the curls spring up. I can also blow dry and straighten for something different. It works equally well straight or curly. I can put it up easily, short bits underneath fall out a bit. I have a slightly shorter fringe so I usually clip that back day to day.
    I'm loving it as when it was long (bra strap length) I could only wear it down if blow dried and straightened and I have a 6 month old DD so no time, energy, motivation lol and she now pulls my hair.
    So glad I chopped it and changed colour it feels so refreshed and surprisingly low maintenance 😀 it's been 6 weeks already and looks fine still.
    I did a quick search and this pic is probably closest to what I have both cut and colour wise
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1453625802.158807.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are used to long hair maybe don't go super short (I am someone that has drastic hair changes but I have always done it so am used to it).

Make sure you can still put it up.

Colourwise - I'd keep it similar. Too hard with upkeep with new hair colour.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I soooo need to go to the hairdressers. I usually get DP to colour my hair but I miss the pampering of a salon...haven't had it cut for aaages!! I am almost 34 weeks and feeling blahh so am thinking of doing something too.

I don't think your mum would mind if you go to a salon. If she's moving, and busy, i think she'd be ok...style wise, don't do anything drastic. I'm speaking from experience, i would get heaps cut off and instantly regret it lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys I might do a bit of research and find some styles I like as I really don't know what to do, maybe having some pics will help.

I'm hesitant to go too short I did that many years ago and my hair tends to go boofy when bob-length and doesn't sit well. The humidity wouldn't help that much either (living in seq). I get a nice curl going when it's long so just need to figure out some layers or something...

And I would Prob go lighter rather than darker. As turquoisecoast suggested it's a maintenance thing. I went dark for 12 months in my late teens and the upkeep was incredible - I have very porous hair (?) and colour fades very quick. All the swimming etc I do isn't hair friendly either, I get a fair amount of natural sun bleaching as it is.

Great to know everyone seems to agree that mum shouldn't be too offended. I wouldn't tell her before I did it, I would get it done then explain when I next saw her, exactly that I didn't want to burden her (and leave out the part that I wanted to try a new funky hairdresser, lol).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (24-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Hehe I posted this in another thread recently so I'm cutting and pasting here lol (I also had a whole thread about this hair restyle as my friend had been doing my hair for 10 years and I went somewhere new for this big change and didn't know how to tell her 😁):
    I just had my hair cut and coloured before xmas from long darkish brown with highlights to a bob above my shoulders in a soft blonde with slightly darker tones (natural colour is light/medium brown) and slightly darker roots so lighter ends.
    My hair is wavy but with the shorter style it's quite curly with some curling product in so most days I wash, let it dry naturally to let the curls spring up. I can also blow dry and straighten for something different. It works equally well straight or curly. I can put it up easily, short bits underneath fall out a bit. I have a slightly shorter fringe so I usually clip that back day to day.
    I'm loving it as when it was long (bra strap length) I could only wear it down if blow dried and straightened and I have a 6 month old DD so no time, energy, motivation lol and she now pulls my hair.
    So glad I chopped it and changed colour it feels so refreshed and surprisingly low maintenance 😀 it's been 6 weeks already and looks fine still.
    I did a quick search and this pic is probably closest to what I have both cut and colour wise
    Attachment 77770
    This style is lovely! I just know my hair wouldn't sit like that though. Love the colours though it's probably similar to what I want (and not too dissimilar to what I have already).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have quite thick dark hair so i might keep the length (just past shoulders) and get it thinned or layered and maybe some foils to lighten it up...love hairdressers, they are magicians lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this pic on Pinterest and DH likes it. I might talk to a hairdresser and see what they think. I did remind DH that it wouldn't look like that when I get out of bed etc 😂

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1453722231.947739.jpg