+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    G

I have no idea what you are on about. I have lived here all my life and have never seen what you are describing. I am certaintly not pretentious nor are any of my friends. This is such a wierd post.
    To be fair, if you have lived there your whole life then you are probably not going to notice it is 'cliquey' because you're already part of one. 😉

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    To be fair, if you have lived there your whole life then you are probably not going to notice it is 'cliquey' because you're already part of one.
    Actually no. None of my closest friends are from high school or uni, they all come from other states and countries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Re: cliques. I think it depends on the area you live. I could give you a list of suburbs in Sydney where it's extremely difficult to break in if you haven't lived there majority of your life.

I was new to this area and moved here then I fell pregnant and made friends through mothers' group. We are all still friends almost 8 years later, but I must say I have met so many new friends since my kids started school, doing sport, etc. I love the area I live in and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Sydney. It's not exclusive or anything at all either but close to beach, city, motorways, airport etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can I ask how did you come up with the play dates?

Ask people you didn't know out of the blue? People you met once before? People who were a part of a group you knew but hadn't met?
    Were you worried about rejection or did you have enough positive 'signs' before making your move?

Genuinely curious. Wondering if it would have been nearly as easy if you were shy etc. maybe others reading along at some point can learn from your pick up tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well three lovely women PM'd me on here and said they would like to meet. So booked down two playdates and waiting on another two to reply back.

I joined a defence playgroup group a few weeks ago on facebook and two mums msged me as my dd1 is going to kindy this year at a private school and their kids are going to be in the same class. So I met up with one last week and another for next week so my dd1 will know a couple of kids before she starts school. One lady even goes to my gym so we have a gym session date tomorrow evening

Lastly my cousin who I reconnected with recently with just txt to invite me to her church tomorrow for mass as they are having a morning tea after so we can meet more families.

Feeling very blessed and happy.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (16-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (17-01-2016),VicPark  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    Actually no. None of my closest friends are from high school or uni, they all come from other states and countries. 😀
    Well that's your experience, but no real point in telling people who have had experiences of a place being cliquey that it's not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

Ask people you didn't know out of the blue? People you met once before? People who were a part of a group you knew but hadn't met?
    Were you worried about rejection or did you have enough positive 'signs' before making your move?

Genuinely curious. Wondering if it would have been nearly as easy if you were shy etc. maybe others reading along at some point can learn from your pick up tips.
    I usually just chat to people outright if I meet people IRL. If I get a good vibe back then I admit I'm new and I'm looking for friends. That check out lady in Aldi today was lovely so I told her I was new to the area and she said that she has kids at home so we made plans for the library on Monday. If she comes that's great! If I get stood up that's OK too. I will try again another time.

I'm not too worried about rejection. Not everyone likes everybody. Besides I'm a phenomenal cook so most people love me coz I feed them really well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Well that's your experience, but no real point in telling people who have had experiences of a place being cliquey that it's not.
    I think it's hard to hear that an entire city is cliquey. Not everyone will experience that. Like I said earlier everyone told us Melbourne was cliquey but that wasn't my experience at all.

I think it's just one of those comments that some people take personally as it connotes an unfriendliness that many of us don't find.

I don't think anyone is right or wrong. It's just an experience.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (16-01-2016),sunnyflower  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default How do you cope with loneliness??

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

When we first moved to our current area I posted in my local section of the U.K. version of bubhub asking about groups, etc. and a mom responded inviting me along to a new baby group. When I met her there she then invited me into my local FB mom groups and I posted I was new in the area and a few moms responded about meeting for a coffee or in the park and it has kinda snowballed from there. So yeah, I pretty much just came out and asked for friends. ☺️ I think I am a weird mix of shy and outgoing, I can be pretty anxious and intimidated about these types of things or just outgoing and 'whatever' about it.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-01-2016 at 21:08.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-01-2016),VicPark  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think it's hard to hear that an entire city is cliquey. Not everyone will experience that. Like I said earlier everyone told us Melbourne was cliquey but that wasn't my experience at all.

I think it's just one of those comments that some people take personally as it connotes an unfriendliness that many of us don't find.

I don't think anyone is right or wrong. It's just an experience.
    Exactly. It was quite a strongly worded post, I live in a very friendly area in Perth and was quite surprised to read of that experience.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (16-01-2016),wobbleyhorse  (16-01-2016)