+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    627
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Metro Perth is very different to Preston - there's one road in, one road out. That road is blocked to all but emergency traffic. The place is built on grassy golf reserve with a forest to the north, south and east. They plan to leave "if" it gets to that - my point is why not just leave now?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,814
    Thanks
    3,837
    Thanked
    3,893
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HearMeRoar View Post
    I'm on the other side of the country but I've been thinking of WA all day and wishing there was something that I could do. Stay safe hubbers xxxx
    I was wondering what the intestate coverage was like.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,814
    Thanks
    3,837
    Thanked
    3,893
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by michellek View Post
    Well we're currently packing to head to busselton on Monday. I've had a sense of feeling bad about it today knowing people have lost everything so thanks for reinforcing that awful feeling. It's a hell of a lot of money to us that we've paid a long time ago plus my 'holiday' means I see family on the way down

    😞
    My cousin came from there today. It took her 6 hours from bunbury going the detour which would normally take 3 and a half hours (or 2 hours the normal way). There is a lot of traffic and a car and caravan roll over. If you end up going be aware there is a half hour wait for petrol in Williams, I heard collie and somewhere else had gone dry with bunbury not far off as well. Make sure you have a full tank and a Jerry if possible. Pinjarra and north of the detour are good for petrol though I hear.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

    michellek  (08-01-2016)

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,525
    Thanks
    673
    Thanked
    336
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    Metro Perth is very different to Preston - there's one road in, one road out. That road is blocked to all but emergency traffic. The place is built on grassy golf reserve with a forest to the north, south and east. They plan to leave "if" it gets to that - my point is why not just leave now?
    Yes you're right very different and the fire front is literally huge.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,814
    Thanks
    3,837
    Thanked
    3,893
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    Metro Perth is very different to Preston - there's one road in, one road out. That road is blocked to all but emergency traffic. The place is built on grassy golf reserve with a forest to the north, south and east. They plan to leave "if" it gets to that - my point is why not just leave now?
    They can't now due to fire around the access road and smoke makes visibility zero. Only way out is by by boat or along the beach I heard.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,814
    Thanks
    3,837
    Thanked
    3,893
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Yeah if it were just me and the kids at home, our plan is grab dog and whatever we can and go.
    If DH is home he says he would stay.
    I am terrified of the idea but he says he would want to do anything he could to protect the house.

    I think a lot of the problem is that at a watch and act you think you'd be able to defend so stay, then often conditions change so rapidly that it so quickly becomes to unsafe to leave.

    We had a fire in our area and come up to our street 6 months before we moved in. From the first sign of smoke to the point the fireies were saying go now or its to late was 20 minutes. My neighbour and good friend left and they weren't allowed back for 3 days. A few people in the street stayed and defended successfully. At least one couple want to move as she was to traumatised from staying.

    You can't win. You do what you think is right at the time. It's such a Sh!t situation that you just pray your not thrust into.
    Yeah my plan would be to hook the boat up to one car, the camper to the other, grab the kids, let the bird go, and maybe the chickens if we couldn't fit them, the cats and the dog in the car. I would grab the hard drive with all the photos, grab what I could from the filing cabinet, bundle whatever clothes I could fit, blankets, and depending on time we would load the boat and camper with whatever we could. While dp and I are doing that I would get dds to grab whatever toys or belongings they could. I would take one car, he would take the other and we would follow each other out. If we had time we would relocate another car.

    The house, contents and cars (bar 1 special car) are all insured. It's the people, pets, practicals and photos I want to save.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,122
    Thanks
    2,309
    Thanked
    2,916
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Yeah my plan would be to hook the boat up to one car, the camper to the other, grab the kids, let the bird go, and maybe the chickens if we couldn't fit them, the cats and the dog in the car. I would grab the hard drive with all the photos, grab what I could from the filing cabinet, bundle whatever clothes I could fit, blankets, and depending on time we would load the boat and camper with whatever we could. While dp and I are doing that I would get dds to grab whatever toys or belongings they could. I would take one car, he would take the other and we would follow each other out. If we had time we would relocate another car.

    The house, contents and cars (bar 1 special car) are all insured. It's the people, pets, practicals and photos I want to save.
    Over fire season I just leave my car packed with enough to get us through a few nights plus valuables. Much easier. At one stage I left 3 afternoons in a row.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (08-01-2016)

  10. #28
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,613
    Thanks
    1,495
    Thanked
    689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    My cousin came from there today. It took her 6 hours from bunbury going the detour which would normally take 3 and a half hours (or 2 hours the normal way). There is a lot of traffic and a car and caravan roll over. If you end up going be aware there is a half hour wait for petrol in Williams, I heard collie and somewhere else had gone dry with bunbury not far off as well. Make sure you have a full tank and a Jerry if possible. Pinjarra and north of the detour are good for petrol though I hear.
    We expect a long drive and stop in collie regardless of the current detours as I have a lot of family there (as I've said in a previous thread, born & raised in the sw ) Then onto Capel for more reli's, few days to ourself (phew) before a big IL birthday celebration.

    We are always well stocked up, comes with the background of rural raising

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (08-01-2016)

  12. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,814
    Thanks
    3,837
    Thanked
    3,893
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Over fire season I just leave my car packed with enough to get us through a few nights plus valuables. Much easier. At one stage I left 3 afternoons in a row.
    Our car is set is as a tourer permanently so it has many basics in there normally. Anything else we get in there is a bonus. luckily we don't live in a fire prone zone. There are many larger areas around us that are though.

  13. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,814
    Thanks
    3,837
    Thanked
    3,893
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by michellek View Post
    We expect a long drive and stop in collie regardless of the current detours as I have a lot of family there (as I've said in a previous thread, born & raised in the sw ) Then onto Capel for more reli's, few days to ourself (phew) before a big IL birthday celebration.

    We are always well stocked up, comes with the background of rural raising
    Make a trip of it I say. enjoy the scenery and take your time. The businesses that way would be loving the income they are getting right now.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

    michellek  (09-01-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Adelaide Hubbers
    By Nafsika in forum Adelaide
    Replies: 1010
    Last Post: 11-02-2016, 18:38
  2. Formula shortage - are you affected?
    By BH-editor in forum Media Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2015, 11:42
  3. Any hubbers do meditation?
    By HLE in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28-08-2015, 14:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Sarah Tooke Childbirth & Parenting EducationProviding private, personalised antenatal childbirth & parenting education to expectant parents in the comfort of their ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›