+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    268
    Thanked
    84
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Homemade

    What do you make now that you used to buy?
    This year I want to use more things that are homemade so that I know what I am putting into on onto our bodies.
    Things like anything canned, breads, washing powder, shampoo, toothpaste, yoghurt, make up, cleaners etc. I might even try making my own mince meat and sausages, cheeses and milks.
    The thing I am probably going to find difficult is the convenience of all those ready made things.

    What do you make instead of buying ready to use????

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked
    78
    Reviews
    0
    Home made ice cream is the best 😀

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to believa For This Useful Post:

    bigZ  (08-01-2016)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,688
    Thanks
    3,390
    Thanked
    6,481
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Pizza bases. I make a dough from Greek yogurt and self raising flour.

    I also use vinegar to kill grass and weeds (make up a spray using vinegar, a dash of dish washing liquid and a bit of salt).

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

    bigZ  (08-01-2016)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,301
    Thanks
    3,039
    Thanked
    4,420
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Vinegar and eucalyptus oil to clean my floors and most other hard surfaces, sundried tomatoes, pesto, pasta sauce, chicken kievs, stock and frozen chips (and the chips are way better than the store bought ones!).

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

    bigZ  (08-01-2016)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    10
    Reviews
    0
    Baby wipes.. cut paper towel roll in half and pour a mixture of vinegar, tea tree oil, lavender oil, natural body wash and hot water (about a cup) over the top to soak.. use the big huggies containers to store.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wanting2b For This Useful Post:

    bigZ  (08-01-2016)

  10. #6
    hakuna matata's Avatar
    hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,459
    Thanks
    825
    Thanked
    2,488
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Vinegar and eucalyptus oil to clean my floors and most other hard surfaces, sundried tomatoes, pesto, pasta sauce, chicken kievs, stock and frozen chips (and the chips are way better than the store bought ones!).
    How do you make your frozen chips?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

    bigZ  (08-01-2016)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,301
    Thanks
    3,039
    Thanked
    4,420
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    How do you make your frozen chips?
    I cut potatoes or sweet potatoes in chip or wedge shapes (peeled or unpeeled, both are good), put them in boiling water until they're just starting to get tender then drain and plunge them into icey cold water. Then I drain them again, let them dry out a bit (just 10-15 mins or so) then put them in a large snap lock bag, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with plenty of whatever flavouring you want, my favourite is sea salt and paprika, mix it around so the flavoring is on all the chips and freeze as flat as possible so they don't all stick together. Then to cook them, I either defrost them or cook from frozen at 200 degrees until they're crispy, usually 20 minutes when defrosted and 30-ish from frozen.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

    bigZ  (08-01-2016),binnielici  (08-01-2016)

  14. #8
    hakuna matata's Avatar
    hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,459
    Thanks
    825
    Thanked
    2,488
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I cut potatoes or sweet potatoes in chip or wedge shapes (peeled or unpeeled, both are good), put them in boiling water until they're just starting to get tender then drain and plunge them into icey cold water. Then I drain them again, let them dry out a bit (just 10-15 mins or so) then put them in a large snap lock bag, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with plenty of whatever flavouring you want, my favourite is sea salt and paprika, mix it around so the flavoring is on all the chips and freeze as flat as possible so they don't all stick together. Then to cook them, I either defrost them or cook from frozen at 200 degrees until they're crispy, usually 20 minutes when defrosted and 30-ish from frozen.
    Thank you!

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0

    Default Homemade

    I make naan for our curries, soap nut liquid replaces all cleaning products, soap and shampoo, we use washers in place of toilet paper, make our own bread, grow our own Veges and fruit, compost everything ... That's some of it anyhow.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimmmm For This Useful Post:

    bigZ  (08-01-2016)

  17. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    687
    Thanks
    268
    Thanked
    84
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmmm View Post
    I make naan for our curries, soap nut liquid replaces all cleaning products, soap and shampoo, we use washers in place of toilet paper, make our own bread, grow our own Veges and fruit, compost everything ... That's some of it anyhow.
    I don't know if I could replace toilet paper. But big thumbs up to you that's awesome.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to bigZ For This Useful Post:

    azelqra  (08-01-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Recipe for homemade gnocchi please
    By Nafsika in forum Recipes & Lunchbox Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 23:12
  2. Homemade Purée Recipes Please!
    By Cue in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 22-04-2015, 00:13
  3. What homemade baby items would you buy?
    By WiseOldOwl in forum Setting up & succeeding
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 20-02-2015, 14:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
KindyROOKindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
IVF Babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017 #2pregnancy and babies through IVF
❤Joyous June/July TTC!❤Conception & Fertility General Chat
Interviews in early pregnancyWorking Hubbers - Employed
When get dating scan?First Trimester Chat
Very Very Early Signs!Conception & Fertility General Chat
Help with BBT chartConception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›