+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I wasn't saying 'no worries' I was just stating a fact, from my experience as a doula, that it's usually routine with many hospitals that you do not stay as long with subsequent births, if all is well, as you do after your first birth.

Your's is obviously an extreme situation but staying in hospital isn't necessarily the answer to lower PND or successful breastfeeding, it's about quality postpartum care whether that is at home or in the hospital.
    I have kept quiet but I do agree with you. I have not had a CS - not planning one for my second atm unless required.

I was in a private hospital for no 1. Straight forward VB. Went for induction Thursday night and had bubs Friday morning. Discharge was Monday. Honestly, I would've been more comfortable at home. I could not sleep in the strange environment. And even though the midwives were lovely to have it would have the same effect if I had home visits. Except I think I would be more comfortable.

This time I want to go home by day 2 if no complications. My hospital now has home visiting midwives. I prefer this so much more.

Usually a elective CS should be straight forward. You will be encouraged to move around quite quickly and painkillers will be provided. Also home visits.

It seems scary but at home you do not have to deal with the noise of the hospital, the strange environment and you can have your comfy bed and the support you want from family/spouses. There is BF support from midwives, LC, ABA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I wasn't saying 'no worries' I was just stating a fact, from my experience as a doula, that it's usually routine with many hospitals that you do not stay as long with subsequent births, if all is well, as you do after your first birth.

Your's is obviously an extreme situation but staying in hospital isn't necessarily the answer to lower PND or successful breastfeeding, it's about quality postpartum care whether that is at home or in the hospital.
    And I think it is the quality post partum care that is lacking. As is the recognition that some women may need time and rest to get breastfeeding established, or heal from the birth. For example I had a large postpartum bleed + 2.5 hours of stitches (too many stitches to count) & 3rd deg tears - along with a 2.5kg baby who wouldnt feed. I'm just saying its not best practice to force women to go home within hours if they are not ready. I think if a woman is ready to go home, she will be happy & wanting to go home. Thats fine for that woman. If someone is happy to leave hospital 4 hours after the birth (when I personally still had my legs in stirrups being stitched), she should be allowed to leave. But if she isnt ready to go home, & the baby isnt feeding, & she has post partum complications, she shouldnt be forced to go home so early. Its a false economy. Lack of health care early on costs a LOT of money later on because the health problems get worse and have to be dealt with. Not to mention desperate women who have mastitis & a baby who wont feed turning to formula (which is fine if formula is their choice - but not if breastfeeding support is lacking &she really wants to breastfeed). I just think 2 or 3 nights in hospital shouldnt be totally unreasonable and out of reach.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    And I think it is the quality post partum care that is lacking. As is the recognition that some women may need time and rest to get breastfeeding established, or heal from the birth. For example I had a large postpartum bleed + 2.5 hours of stitches (too many stitches to count) & 3rd deg tears - along with a 2.5kg baby who wouldnt feed. I'm just saying its not best practice to force women to go home within hours if they are not ready. I think if a woman is ready to go home, she will be happy & wanting to go home. Thats fine for that woman. If someone is happy to leave hospital 4 hours after the birth (when I personally still had my legs in stirrups being stitched), she should be allowed to leave. But if she isnt ready to go home, & the baby isnt feeding, & she has post partum complications, she shouldnt be forced to go home so early. Its a false economy. Lack of health care early on costs a LOT of money later on because the health problems get worse and have to be dealt with. Not to mention desperate women who have mastitis & a baby who wont feed turning to formula (which is fine if formula is their choice - but not if breastfeeding support is lacking &she really wants to breastfeed). I just think 2 or 3 nights in hospital shouldnt be totally unreasonable and out of reach.
    You're kind of debating me for no reason, I don't disagree with you. My original post wasn't stating the way it is is the right way, it was just literally stating the way it is. In answer to the OP. I wasn't saying I thought the NHS had it right by sending women home so early, one of the reasons I went privately was because I wanted to be able to stay longer.

You're example is extreme, that they though it appropriate to send you home like that, you obviously should have been able to stay. But most women, with no complications and subsequent births would rather go home. My comment was that I thought that was what her midwife meant, not that she HAD to leave after 48 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this might not be everyone's cup of tea but I had my first baby 6 months ago (private) and was in hospital 9 nights after an emergency c-section. Bub was in SCN 13 nights. I had complications from severe preeclampsia hence the long stay otherwise would have been out after 5 nights. I was super comfortable in hospital and relished the opportunity to get extra advice/assistance 24/7 particularly with breastfeeding a prem baby. I think I was very fortunate to have this care and experience, I am very thankful. But I recognize some people are itching to get home I just wish there was some choice for longer stays where a mum (especially FTM) feels they need extra support for a couple of days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are people being forced to go home against their wishes or are midwifes/doctors suggesting that the patients can leave?

I recall being asked if I wanted to go home. This was about 30hrs after a vaginal birth. I was itching to go home (I was in a shared room with three other mothers and crying babies, no DP to help overnight - so zero sleep) but assume they would have let me stay longer if I had said no?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I have kept quiet but I do agree with you. I have not had a CS - not planning one for my second atm unless required.

I was in a private hospital for no 1. Straight forward VB. Went for induction Thursday night and had bubs Friday morning. Discharge was Monday. Honestly, I would've been more comfortable at home. I could not sleep in the strange environment. And even though the midwives were lovely to have it would have the same effect if I had home visits. Except I think I would be more comfortable.

This time I want to go home by day 2 if no complications. My hospital now has home visiting midwives. I prefer this so much more.

Usually a elective CS should be straight forward. You will be encouraged to move around quite quickly and painkillers will be provided. Also home visits.

It seems scary but at home you do not have to deal with the noise of the hospital, the strange environment and you can have your comfy bed and the support you want from family/spouses. There is BF support from midwives, LC, ABA.
    With respect, even with an elective you are in a lot of pain. You can't compare vb with no complications like you had with a c/s. I've had 3 electives and by the 3rd I went home in a couple of days and only took panadol and nurofen while in hospital. But I have a high pain threshold. With my first I was shocked how painful it was.

I'm personally like you, I hate hospitals and wanted to be home. But any c/s is not straight forward and you can't put them in the same basket as uncomplicated vb.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (07-01-2016),VicPark  (07-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Are people being forced to go home against their wishes or are midwifes/doctors suggesting that the patients can leave?

I recall being asked if I wanted to go home. This was about 30hrs after a vaginal birth. I was itching to go home (I was in a shared room with three other mothers and crying babies, no DP to help overnight - so zero sleep) but assume they would have let me stay longer if I had said no?
    I know for my births they were 'general guidelines' . Dd was born in a birth centre where there was a 4hr discharge option, ds was an elective cs with 48hrs discharge, both public. As I mentioned in my pp, I was itching to get out of there (both times! As lovely as the birth centre was and having my own room after my cs) but I also count myself fortunate I had a great recovery to allow me to feel that way

I have no doubt that if I was not feeling as I did, I could have requested an additional night after my cs. They still have a duty of care right? One would hope there is some compassion for new mothers who may be struggling regardless what number bub they are having

Thanks
    Reviews
    Up where i am women are discharged against their wishes early regardless. With my daughter from vb on thursday night her jaundice wasnt picked up till saturday night and was in scn till tuesday day of discharge from private hospital. Would have been sent home earlier from public hospital before jaundice was picked up and as it was it was a bad 6.weeks at home as it took a long time to go i was glad for extra time with feeding assistance to and help as got none from hubby after discharge, this time he'll have no excuses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post

It depends on what the situation is. If there is no medical reason to stay then women are discharged home at the end of their allocated stay (in our hospital up to 72hrs for vaginal birth and 96hrs for c/s). We've had people offer to pay whatever it costs to stay another night. It's crazy. People don't realize that a night in a hospital is worth about $800 in a shared room and $1000 in a single room (from Vic Health website). If we let people stay just because they wanted to we'd have a massive bed block because they would be filled with people who are freaking out how they'll cope at home. Just now I was talking to a colleague about how one of our patients is expecting to stay until day 8 just because her baby is in the nursery. It just doesn't work like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

It's funny how we're all different.

Generally speaking I wouldn't want to go home after 2 nights. With both my kids I had difficulty establishing feeding. Coming home after just 2 nights would have increased the odd the breastfeeding aspect would have gone down the toilet. In my experience daily visits from a midwife and having the ABA on speed dial do not even come close to the 24/7 buzz for help whenever you need you can get when you are in hospital.

I sort of get what you're saving about the CSECS. Although major surgery, with both of my CSECs as I had no complications and a I had a supportive spouse at home so I think from a medical aspect I would have been technically ok to go home after 48 hours. However it still probably wouldn't have been the best move for me from a pastoral care aspect. I can generally sleep in a strange environment and welcome the extra rest that I get in hospital. I've found the daily home visit midwife thing to be totally ineffective at helping breastfeeding issues - by the time they come to see you the problem you are having is already entrenched and you've already shed far too many tears.

I stayed 5 nights with my first (private) and loved it - I credit my long stay in hospital with our successful breastfeeding relationship. With my second I went private and the in house care and facilities was crap. Received no help whatsoever in terms of bub. So I was probably itching to get home earlier. Home midwife was crap both times. I credit BH (in particular an old member @Atropos) with the successful breastfeeding relationship with bub 2.

I stand by what I said though - for me, assuming hospital care is what it should be (and not crap) bring on a 5 night stay for me!