+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,910
    Thanks
    4,793
    Thanked
    4,236
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    My baby kept me up most of the past 2 nights so excuse my grinchy grump. I know gift giving is supposed to be about thoughtfulness (a lot of the time it isn't! It's expectation and obligation of gift exchange) but we get given so much we don't want or need. I feel like putting my foot down and saying do.not.give.me.presents.anymore. My mum is atrocious for giving me crap I neither want or need and now my DD too. I also think why don't we just not give presents and just buy ourselves what we want lol. I'm not in the xmas spirit today! My brother is getting us a voucher we got him a voucher - what's the point! And I dread kids parties in future years where we are wasting time and money getting/giving gifts (just because it's expected) that are likely to be chucked/regifted.
    Not sure of the answer (or my point really 😴) but about regifting no I don't do it, I don't like it. If you want to give something away just give it away don't pretend it's a gift you thoughtfully selected and purchased for someone.
    totally agree with your views re presents in general. I spend $50 on crap for you, you spend $50 on crap for me. we each go home and put our $50 worth of crap in the back of a cupboard then carry on with life, each $50 poorer and none the happier.

    would be so much easier to just avoid the entire rigmarole and buy ourselves what we want/need instead!!

    I guess we can be grinches together 😂

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (23-12-2015),babyno1onboard  (23-12-2015),gingermillie  (23-12-2015),kriista  (23-12-2015),MissMuppet  (23-12-2015)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,366
    Thanks
    5,898
    Thanked
    4,929
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    totally agree with your views re presents in general. I spend $50 on crap for you, you spend $50 on crap for me. we each go home and put our $50 worth of crap in the back of a cupboard then carry on with life, each $50 poorer and none the happier.

    would be so much easier to just avoid the entire rigmarole and buy ourselves what we want/need instead!!

    I guess we can be grinches together 😂
    This is why we just buy for the kids in our families. Or we just have to buy too many adults too many presents which are usually lame as it costs too much to buy everyone something worth giving.

    Even just buying for the kids has it's issues - they are bought too much crap. All I can remember is last year they were given far too much, nothing they appreciated, but I now have no idea what they got. Again, what's the point!? So this year we just told the grandparents what to buy them..... But yet they still want to buy them something else 'to open' .... But they're already opening them Christmas morning! WTF! I'd say there's going to be some charity donations from our family next week! Or gifts for the kids friends in Feb/March.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,490
    Thanks
    7,456
    Thanked
    6,191
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    As a teacher I get given lots of candles, chocolate and beauty items. I tend to regift them. I'm trying to lose weight, you can only use so many candles and I don't use many beauty products.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks
    3,644
    Thanked
    2,832
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Spin off of a spin off: regifting?

    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This is why we just buy for the kids in our families. Or we just have to buy too many adults too many presents which are usually lame as it costs too much to buy everyone something worth giving.

    Even just buying for the kids has it's issues - they are bought too much crap. All I can remember is last year they were given far too much, nothing they appreciated, but I now have no idea what they got. Again, what's the point!? So this year we just told the grandparents what to buy them..... But yet they still want to buy them something else 'to open' .... But they're already opening them Christmas morning! WTF! I'd say there's going to be some charity donations from our family next week! Or gifts for the kids friends in Feb/March.
    Yes even if it's just kids they get way too much! We've just had our first baby 6 months ago and don't like a house full of stuff in general but resigned ourselves to the fact that kids do come with a certain level of 'stuff'. We did not have a baby shower and did not want or expect gifts but people do. Since she's been born I've been given FOUR money boxes. I kept the one I liked and gave three to charity. My mum constantly buys impractical, ugly clothes way too big that will be wrong season when she does finally fit. I've told her not to buy anymore clothes she can't help herself. We knew they would go overboard at xmas so picked out one big wooden toy set they could get her, something we'd buy during the year. They got that but she also went and bought all this other stuff too!
    DH (who grew up surrounded by poverty in Africa) has firmly told her to stop or give us receipts with future stuff (she gets stuff all the time for her) so we can return the things and put the $ in a bank account for her. Otherwise he said we'll send it to Africa but we did that once and the shipping was extortionate. It's hard because my mum thinks she's showing love by buying 'stuff' but I've told her so many times to stop and they can't afford it financially. Gets me very stressed.
    She also does it to me. Recently: what do you want for xmas? Me: well nothing but let me think about it. Really didn't want anything but I know she can't handle that. So she says don't you want some nice crystal glasses I saw some lovely ones the other day. Um no!! Felt like saying do you not know me at all?! I'm 33 years old on my second marriage been living independently since I was 18 years old and for about 10 years have a strong dislike for cluttering up my house with lots of things. I.have.glasses.ffs 😤 I shudder to think what she's bought me and DD too 😕 what I'd actually appreciate is a supermarket voucher to do my shopping one week lol
    I have totally derailed this thread sorry! Was thinking we need a spin off of a spin off about people who buy too many gifts and how to deal with that (without regifting) lol.

    ETA: I do love my mum gosh I come across as an ungrateful b!tch today. I just don't want her wasting money she doesn't have on stuff we don't want or need. Bake us a nice cake or make us a lasagne to show us you love us! I need to get off here or I'll ramble all day in my tired fog 😴
    Last edited by gingermillie; 23-12-2015 at 10:38.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

    A-Squared  (23-12-2015),BettyV  (23-12-2015)

  7. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,474
    Thanks
    1,368
    Thanked
    2,919
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't really re-gift as I only have a small number of people I buy for, but I would much rather spend my money doing something out of the ordinary with friends than buying them presents at Christmas. I have no idea what to get 2 of them but because I've bought 1 of them a present, I have to buy the other 2 something too. Argh. Also annoying because 2 of them really don't seem to know me after 15 odd years of friendship. I don't wear jewellery as I can't wear it to work, and when I do wear it I don't like the cheap/chunky stuff. I'm always being given stuff from Lovisa, Colette etc and I don't wear it. Ever. I end up throwing it out because it tarnishes before I can ever do anything with it.

    For all those unwanted beauty type gifts, lotions and potions etc my workplace does an annual Christmas donation to a women's refuge so I save it all up until then. Rather than sending presents etc I'll put in all the body washes, soaps, handcream plus then other essentials like toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner etc because a woman and her kids escaping a violent situation need the basics as well as the nice stuff. Makes me feel better about it and I don't upset my friends because they never find out

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

    BettyV  (23-12-2015),gingermillie  (23-12-2015)

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    409
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked
    134
    Reviews
    0
    We usually just buy for the kids too. Although i did buy myself a bottle of perfume, wrapped it and put it under the tree, from santa! Lol!
    Also got dh a pair of sunnies from trade secret, absolute bargain at $12!! Had no idea they were that price, they were marked higher! He lost his last pair and these are just a temporary fix til he gets his own new ones.
    With all the family dramas going on i wanted to get him something small so he'd have a present to open, and i put on the tag it's from our boys. I'm not sure he'll get me anything so i got myself something just in case 😉 .... ok i saw it and wanted it so i got it. 😛

  10. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked
    67
    Reviews
    0
    Ive never even thought of re gifting!! (Ok im only 20 years old), but still, i live the idea of it. I get and have so much 'crap' its filling my house and making my ocd and anxiety play up massively!
    As it is i have to go through my sondls toys and throw away 90% of them (charity not throw away) because theres too much that he has no room to play in his bedroom
    Maybe we need a thread 'how to de clutter your house', that would help me a load!!!

  11. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,439
    Thanks
    2,989
    Thanked
    1,713
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Yes even if it's just kids they get way too much! We've just had our first baby 6 months ago and don't like a house full of stuff in general but resigned ourselves to the fact that kids do come with a certain level of 'stuff'. We did not have a baby shower and did not want or expect gifts but people do. Since she's been born I've been given FOUR money boxes. I kept the one I liked and gave three to charity. My mum constantly buys impractical, ugly clothes way too big that will be wrong season when she does finally fit. I've told her not to buy anymore clothes she can't help herself. We knew they would go overboard at xmas so picked out one big wooden toy set they could get her, something we'd buy during the year. They got that but she also went and bought all this other stuff too!
    DH (who grew up surrounded by poverty in Africa) has firmly told her to stop or give us receipts with future stuff (she gets stuff all the time for her) so we can return the things and put the $ in a bank account for her. Otherwise he said we'll send it to Africa but we did that once and the shipping was extortionate. It's hard because my mum thinks she's showing love by buying 'stuff' but I've told her so many times to stop and they can't afford it financially. Gets me very stressed.
    She also does it to me. Recently: what do you want for xmas? Me: well nothing but let me think about it. Really didn't want anything but I know she can't handle that. So she says don't you want some nice crystal glasses I saw some lovely ones the other day. Um no!! Felt like saying do you not know me at all?! I'm 33 years old on my second marriage been living independently since I was 18 years old and for about 10 years have a strong dislike for cluttering up my house with lots of things. I.have.glasses.ffs 😤 I shudder to think what she's bought me and DD too 😕 what I'd actually appreciate is a supermarket voucher to do my shopping one week lol
    I have totally derailed this thread sorry! Was thinking we need a spin off of a spin off about people who buy too many gifts and how to deal with that (without regifting) lol.

    ETA: I do love my mum gosh I come across as an ungrateful b!tch today. I just don't want her wasting money she doesn't have on stuff we don't want or need. Bake us a nice cake or make us a lasagne to show us you love us! I need to get off here or I'll ramble all day in my tired fog 😴
    You've summed up exactly what I think of gift giving. I loathe buying and receiving presents for the sake of it. If I can't think of what to get someone (that they would actually really like and use) I make a donation to a charity on their behalf.

  12. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    409
    Thanks
    241
    Thanked
    134
    Reviews
    0
    Lol the ugly clothes too big for the kids - that's my mil! Except they stink so bad they're not even fit for charity. Don't know what goes through that woman's head. I swear she has no sense of smell 😕

  13. #30
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,366
    Thanks
    5,898
    Thanked
    4,929
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This is why we just buy for the kids in our families. Or we just have to buy too many adults too many presents which are usually lame as it costs too much to buy everyone something worth giving.

    Even just buying for the kids has it's issues - they are bought too much crap. All I can remember is last year they were given far too much, nothing they appreciated, but I now have no idea what they got. Again, what's the point!? So this year we just told the grandparents what to buy them..... But yet they still want to buy them something else 'to open' .... But they're already opening them Christmas morning! WTF! I'd say there's going to be some charity donations from our family next week! Or gifts for the kids friends in Feb/March.
    So my prediction came true, even more useless crap for Christmas!

    Does anyone know is the Salvos or Smith family type organisation accepts gifts like toys after Christmas - like for disadvantaged families for kids birthdays, or kids living in safe houses/refuges?

    This is why I hate the excess presents, there's so many kids who are living in poverty or have no homes as their mums have left DV relationships etc and my kids who are never left wanting get too many presents that they don't care about. It makes me really sad.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    TheGooch  (25-12-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Spin off ....what now....
    By RuffledPansy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 13-03-2015, 13:42
  2. Spin off BLW
    By Louise41 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2015, 22:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
LCF Fun Languages AustraliaFrench, Spanish, Mandarin, Italian & German lessons for children 0-12 years. Play-based and immersion language ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
IVF babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017pregnancy and babies through IVF
Feeding a 9 month oldGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
I has a funny funny #2Games & fun stuff
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
Miracle March TTC and Testing ChatConception & Fertility General Chat
Married At First Sight 2017Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›