+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Medical procedure when breastfeeding

Ok fellow breastfeeders I have to have a colonoscopy on Wednesday which requires a day and a half of laxatives, no eating and some time pre-procedure with no fluids.

What's going to happen to my supply? Anyone been through this while breastfeeding? How worried should I be/how much should I pump just in case?

Note that I have a pretty massive supply (still soaking through breast pads after six months breastfeeding).

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had one when DS was about 8 months old. No issues to supply or bf even with the prep. Just bf as normal, I pumped before the procedure just in case I needed it but ended up feeding him anyway as the sedatives are very short lasting. Keeping up fluids is important anyway but I was mindful of having more so I didn't dehydrate as as you need more fluids anyway while bf.

Shouldn't be any issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I had one when DS was about 8 months old. No issues to supply or bf even with the prep. Just bf as normal, I pumped before the procedure just in case I needed it but ended up feeding him anyway as the sedatives are very short lasting. Keeping up fluids is important anyway but I was mindful of having more so I didn't dehydrate as fluids needs are more when bf.

Shouldn't be any issues.
    Sweet! Thanks @Pearlygirl !

I might pump one bottles worth just to be on the safe side in case there's a melt down on DHs watch but I thought I'd probably be right

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I just pumped one bottle in case DS needed it and I wasn't able to bf him, but we ended up freezing it as it wasn't needed. It's a fairly short procedure, you're usually in and out within 3 hours so unless he's feeding more often than that you should be fine, even without a bottle.

Good luck with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double check with your dr about breastfeeding and what anaesthetic they use and if there's a period of time you shouldn't breastfeed for.