+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeahYeah View Post
    Thanks Twinklify, great info. Might be an idea for myself too

My SIL requested 'good makeup brushes' but my budget is really only $100. Am I right in thinking 'good' ones would be more?

The thing is, she is used to the finer things in life & so I'm torn between budget & quality.
    That's a tough one for sure.
    For years MAC brushes were seen as some of the best. They're good don't get me wrong, but I've had equally great experiences with Sigma brushes.
    The ones I've seen Temptalia and Leisa Eldridge rave about are Japanese brands I think. Hakuhodo and Suqqu - but those are outrageously expensive. I think the suqqu cheek brush Is over $150USD. I would think very few people would need that!

I've got a Clinique blush brush for around $50 and I'm underwhelmed. It's a bit scratchy. I've got a Bobbi brown powder brush and it's nice enough.

You've got a few choices if you want to go with brushes.

1. Give a Myer or DJs or Sephora gift card and then she can choose her own from the big brands

2. Buy 2 or 3 Mac or big name eye brushes . Mac 217 Mac 239 and a lash brush - that would get your $100 spent. Or a blush brush and foundation brush would cost about the same.

3. Buy a decent more affordable brand. I think Sigma has sets of 4-5 brushes for around $120.

It's interesting though, her interpretation of "good" might be different to what we're thinking. for some it's about the name and others the quality.

At the end of the day, it's really nice that you're taking such an interest in getting your SIL something nice and I hope she appreciates the effort whatever you decide to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default 'Make-Up Aficionados' lets chat here...

Wow @YeahYeahYeah, I don't think I'd ever specify 'good' in the front of a present suggestion, a bit cheeky of your SIL!

It's a tricky one, as everyone's interpretation of 'good' will be vastly different.

I think Sigma brushes are awesome, but I also love my smokey eye brush set from Sephora and a gorgeous soft teddy brush by Too Faced.

My Kabuki brush is a Sonia Kashuk it is lovely.

I love MAC, but I don't use their brushes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Morphe brushes are supposed to be good and you can definitely get a set for under $100

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your help girls. I'm a bit miffed by the 'good' request too. And I've already upped my budget for her Xmas gift as her birthday present was handmade from DD so figured I should. I think I'll go with your suggestion @TheGooch and buy just a couple of good ones which she can add to. Such great help, appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Zoeva brushes are awesome too. You can get sets for around $100. Sephora sells them but bumps the price up too much, you can get them on beautybay much cheaper with free shipping

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (12-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, I need some advice on foundation. I'm going to have a cancer cut off my nose and a skin graft put on it on the 6th February. I'm wondering what the best foundation/concealer will be for after surgery - I'll be back at work and dealing with public a week after. I have pinkish fair oily (greasy) skin and i live in a hot humid climate. My work days are 10 hours plus so I need something with good staying power. I'm on the Gold Coast so have access to quite a few shops. My current make up is nude by nature. Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try an instant pore filler @Waggers70 which is basically skin toned spackle for holes in your skin, then on top, dust your nude by nature. Best of luck IMG_1481708795.303334.jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Phia For This Useful Post:

Waggers70  (14-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still sorting out the foundation/ camouflage thing, but in the meantime may have gone a bit crazy at Sephora...IMG_1483507537.964889.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

Phia  (04-01-2017),TheGooch  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I figure, if my nose looks gross for a while, the rest of my face should be gorgeous

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Waggers70 View Post
    Still sorting out the foundation/ camouflage thing, but in the meantime may have gone a bit crazy at Sephora...Attachment 87675
    Looks like Kat von d! I have this palette - I love it!