+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Severe blocked milk duct help!

I am exclusively breastfeeding my 5 month old DD. This morning I came up with a blocked duct almost up under my arm and leading all the way to the nipple (it's huge) which is getting worse and worse. I'm worried for mastitis. I've tried hot compress, lots of massage during feeding, only feeding off that side all day to keep it empty as possible, expressing in between a feed with more massage, massage in the shower. It is still huge and excruciating. Are there any secret remedies that might help? At what point do I see a doctor - only if it gets to fever and/or redness? Ouchie. Thanks bf experts!

ETA: I have had one like this before with a milk blister too, I eventually got the blockage out over the course of a night but this one isn't budging.
    Last edited by gingermillie; 28-11-2015 at 19:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ouch! You poor thing. Feeding off that side worked for me but I remember that it did it's magic overnight. Hopefully you'll be feeling better by the morning. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Maybe just some rest might help.
    Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Severe blocked milk duct help!

Ouch! A couple of suggestions - have you tried dangle feeding? Have a google but essentially you lay Bub on their back and feed them kneeling above them so your boob is dangling over them - the gravity is supposed to help clear blockages. I'd also try hand expressing and/or get the breast pump out after feeds.

Also the herbal supplement lecithin can help a lot with blocked ducts. Good luck, hope it clears soon x

Edit to add - here's some info on dangle feeding
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/dangle-feeding/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    An electric toothbrush? Some physios do US but that doesn't help you now.

Chin to blocked duct when feeding. Dangle feeding as above (or pumping). Is there a white spot on your nipple? I have read of popping with needle can also clear blockages. And go to the dr earlier rather than later. Mastitis sets in quickly (achy, fever, red blotches, cold/flu general symptoms are the things to watch). And it will hurt until it clears. So much. I'm sorry.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't have an electic toothbrush an electronic 'toy' that vibrates will have a similar effect

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mkj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! In for a loooong painful night I think. Bub went to bed at 6:30 (8 now) and I tried some hand expressing and massage and so painful and not budging. It is just so tender to touch now but I know I need to keep working on it. I did try feeding her hanging over her and I might try that again overnight. Probably the only time I'll be thankful she wakes for 2 feeds overnight! Last time this happened it dislodged during a night feed with lots of heavy massage so fingers crossed. And so far no milk blister this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I used to take a shower as hot as I could take it, focusing the water on the breast with the blockage and then try a dangle feed. Worked a good deal of the time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (28-11-2015),gingermillie  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    An electric toothbrush? Some physios do US but that doesn't help you now.

Chin to blocked duct when feeding. Dangle feeding as above (or pumping). Is there a white spot on your nipple? I have read of popping with needle can also clear blockages. And go to the dr earlier rather than later. Mastitis sets in quickly (achy, fever, red blotches, cold/flu general symptoms are the things to watch). And it will hurt until it clears. So much. I'm sorry.
    All of this ^

If you can try and see a physio asap and tell them you need ultrasound on your blockage, that will help. I always had an electric toothbrush in my medicine case just for blocked ducts. As I would do the dangle feeding, I would try and massage out the blockage as well. It's a bit tricky, but well worth it if you can try and do it. I also used to get DH to massage it out as he was stronger than me at it.

All the best, it's so horrible when you have a blockage.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I've had a few like this this year. They suck! I needed to massage massage massage constantly! I used a hot wheat bag then hand expressed (had to apply a lot of pressure)...the milk had thickened so was hard to get out. A hot shower or bath may help too, and try using a comb to brush it out (hurts heaps but can help). I find my ds will not drink from a blocked duct. He will comfort feed but not move the blockage. I think it must taste yucky? He is much older though. Good luck xx

Eta. Dh massaging it before I hand expressed helped a lot too.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 28-11-2015 at 22:30.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Stop the hot compresses!!!!!!

feed/express with massage and then ice packs to it.

You need cold, not hot.
    Cold never worked for me. Only hot.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (30-11-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (29-11-2015)