+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    HI @Charlie74,

I came across your post while doing some research into the costs of IVF with or without PHI. I'm not at the point yet where I need IVF, but at 39 I realise this might be something I'll need to consider in the near future.

I'm researching now as I need to decide if I should raise my PHI level to include IVF/fertility assistance/pregnancy/childbirth as there is a 12 month wait. So far, my research has told me that Dr Lynn at Monash is one of the best around (I'm in Melbourne), so just wondering how seeing Dr Lynn and going through IVF at Monash compares between having PHI and not having PHI. Both in terms of cost and waiting lists etc. As you mention you have done a few cycles with Monash and know these costs, so I'm hoping you might be able to help

From what I see in this thread, having PHI has no bearing on the IVF cycle as that is all claimed through Medicare, but what about the other things mentioned, such as day bed and anaesthetist fees? And does having PHI mean you can book in quicker with Dr Lynn?

Any help you can provide to this newbie would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TazCaz For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lynn Burmeister Monash IVF-feedback wanted please #6

@TazCaz, happy to answer whatever I can! : )

So I don't have PHI as you've mentioned. It makes absolutely no difference in regards to getting appt's with Dr Burmeister as PHI doesn't cover outpatient appt's anyway. You will get some portion of the appt fee back from Medicare though.

IVF also isn't covered by PHI, what IS covered is any procedures you have during any inpatient treatments- so Egg pick up basically, there is the cost of a 'day' bed, which with Monash was around $800/900 (can't remember the specific number). If you have PHI this will be covered by your PHI- keeping in mind that you will probably have an excess to pay if it's your first hospital admission for the year, which depending on your particular fund will be anything from $150 to $500.

Also anaesthetist fees I think are covered by PHI.. So I paid around $250-300 for my anaesthetist at EPU, and you can claim some of it back from Medicare too.

So basically day bed & anaesthetist fees are the extras to pay if you don't have PHI. Which I was happy to pay for because I don't want PHI & couldn't see the benefit for me to take it out JUST for fertility reasons. And there would be waiting periods too.

If you already have PHI and know that you aren't going to use fertility treatment for another year or two then you might consider it worth it. But not having it hasn't made a huge difference for me.

Hope that helps : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Sue77 I hope all is going good hun. I have privately messaged you giving you an update on my situation...you and I seem to travel on the same road. I don't know if you received it though. I didn't see anything in my sent items. Would love it if you checked your private messages and let me know if it's there? hope to hear from you soon xxx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Faiths love For This Useful Post:

Sue77  (21-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Faiths love.. I received your private message hun and I have replied to it. Like you , even I cannot see anything in my sent items. I hope you have received it xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi @faithSlove! Have sent you a PM

Thanks
    Reviews

@TazCaz I have phi with ivf cover, so far in the past year I have claimed four bed fees. I only have one excess for the year, so it has been worth it for me. I was annoyed though as today I found out I didn't have top extras and so I couldn't claim prescriptions. I have over $600 worth of progesterone from one cycle I could have claimed. I think you stay on support for about 10 weeks.

If your going to do a medicated cycle plus possibly a medicated frozen transfer you will be paying $120-300 per 30 of progesterone pessaries or gel which should be covered.
    Last edited by kmvw; 23-03-2017 at 21:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much @Charlie74

All of that was incredibly helpful. I also spoke with one of the nurses in Monash's fertility department this week, so I have a lot of backgrounder to help make my decision. Really appreciate you getting back to me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TazCaz For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (25-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Faiths love.. are you ok love...I hope you have received my private message xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all....i am currently on my first cycle after having my baby boy 10 months ago.
    Lynn increased my dose as I am 2 years older than last cycle.
    And guess what...i have overstimilated. 9 days on menopur and it has all been put on hold. Currently being coasted as estrogen levels are 31000. Dr gets concerned of OHSS when levels.are above 25000.
    Damn it. Absolutely shattered as i run the risk of having my egg collection cancelled. What a waste of so many eggs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MND For This Useful Post:

Phia  (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry to hear that, fingers crossed you get to egg collection.

I'm just counting down the days for my appointment in a few weeks to make a new plan after having my second miscarriage in 8 months with a pgd tested embryo.
    Last edited by kmvw; 01-04-2017 at 20:24.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kmvw For This Useful Post:

Phia  (02-04-2017)