+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Sure.

Once they were rolling I let out their arms. Then when they were crawling I loosened theirs once asleep so they could move around. It was a fabulous sleep cue. I'd wrap them up for the pram too and as they got older I 'tuck' them into bed.

Once babies naturally lose their startle reflex THEN drop the wrapping. But not till then imo.
    Yes the wrapping is her sleep cue too! Half the time she smiles as I'm wrapping her as she loves it. Think ill go ahead with wrapping her still and maybe leaving the one arm out to get used to that before we do both arms out then losing the wrap altogether.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Yes the wrapping is her sleep cue too! Half the time she smiles as I'm wrapping her as she loves it. Think ill go ahead with wrapping her still and maybe leaving the one arm out to get used to that before we do both arms out then losing the wrap altogether.
    That's a great plan.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4 month sleep regression? HELP!!

I've tried pretty much all the swaddles (she was a Houdini until I found a great wrapping technique 😀). So we've had the ergopouch as a newborn, ergococoon zip up (can have arms out or in), love to dream (normal and with zip off arms), baby studio Velcro swaddle, and the halo sleep sack. She doesn't like the LTD. She just loves to be wrapped super tight with her arms down.
    You sound like me! I've used pretty much all the same swaddled! We are now using the ltd one as it seems to be the free arms that's the problem rather than needing to be super tight around the body. At the moment I'm leaving arms in at the beginning of the night to avoid spending hours getting him to settle in his cot then at some point during the night I take one arm out. I've seen some people using the ltd ones even when the babies roll as they can lift themselves up with the arms still. The main reason I want to get out of the swaddle is because my baby relies on a dummy to go to sleep but during the day he sucks his hands and fingers so I think he will self settle better if he has his hands free. It's just been very hard getting to that point!
    Last edited by nh2489; 14-11-2015 at 18:20.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've tried pretty much all the swaddles (she was a Houdini until I found a great wrapping technique 😀). So we've had the ergopouch as a newborn, ergococoon zip up (can have arms out or in), love to dream (normal and with zip off arms), baby studio Velcro swaddle, and the halo sleep sack. She doesn't like the LTD. She just loves to be wrapped super tight with her arms down.
    I would stick with what works then! You must of been a baby shops delight 😜

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    I would stick with what works then! You must of been a baby shops delight 😜
    Oh I am! I'm a demon for getting desperate and shelling out $$ in the hope something works 😂 she's quite a sensitive little baby so we are onto our second pram (first one wasn't rear facing so she hated it not being able to see me and loves the pram now she can! That was a win) and second car seat (she screamed all the time in the old one getting better now in the new one that's less bulky). And don't get me started on bottles 😁 have tried most but she only wants it straight from the tap. I could open my own baby bunting store from home 😆

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (15-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 4 month sleep regression? HELP!!

https://childsleepscience.wordpress....done-about-it/

This is a great article re the 4 month sleep regression. Bottom line: if bub starts waking more frequently don't assume bub needs a feed - try and resettle first. Oh - try to ensure the sleep environment is the same throughout the night as it is at bedtime.

Regarding swaddling. Babies lose the startle reflex between 4-6
    Months. If an older baby 'needs' swaddling chances are it's because the swaddle has become a comforter. The dangers with having bub use a swaddle as a comforter:
    1) It makes it that much harder for bub to attach to a 'more suitable' comforter (one that is portable and suitable for a long time after bub starts Rolling). My bubs didn't really take to their comforted until we stopped swaddling - once their hands were free that's when the love affair started.
    2) when bub starts rolling you're screwed. Swaddling a bub who rolls is dangerous.
    Last edited by VicPark; 14-11-2015 at 21:59.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    https://childsleepscience.wordpress....done-about-it/

This is a great article re the 4 month sleep regression. Bottom line: if bub starts waking more frequently don't assume bub needs a feed - try and resettle first. Oh - try to ensure the sleep environment is the same throughout the night as it is at bedtime.

Regarding swaddling. Babies lose the startle reflex between 4-6
    Months. If an older baby 'needs' swaddling chances are it's because the swaddle has become a comforter. The dangers with having bub use a swaddle as a comforter:
    1) It makes it that much harder for bub to attach to a 'more suitable' comforter (one that is portable and suitable for a long time after bub starts Rolling). My bubs didn't really take to their comforted until we stopped swaddling - once their hands were free that's when the love affair started.
    2) when bub starts rolling you're screwed. Swaddling a bub who rolls is dangerous.
    One of my babies was swaddled into 9 months...she transitioned out of in a day, never had any other type of comforter (yah for not carrying around small blankies for years and panicking if one gets lost), and the rolling in their sleep just didn't happen for that child, as swaddling was with arms in until 9 months, and the momentum to roll when wrapped like a caccoon just wasn't there (this was pre fancy wrap days so not sure how they work...but wrapping in large muslin wraps worked a treat)....so I call bs to your claims. I know quite a few people who would wrap their babies until they were around 12 months old...each baby decided they didn't need to be wrapped of their own accord, and transitioned just fine. No issues.
    Also, why does a baby need to have a comforter of some sort? It was never a goal of mine to get mine attached to any particular kind of comforter...after my first (the swaddled baby) we co-slept...each child transitioned out of our bed of their own accord by 12 months and no comforter was required. Win win

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-11-2015),ScubaGal  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @VicPark interesting article! I'm lucky in that she won't fall asleep on me, and she doesn't like sleeping in my bed just her cot. She is always awake when she goes in her cot too and the only active thing we do for settling/resettling is pushing the cot (on wheels) and she has white noise on. I try not to push the cot til she's asleep instead stop when she seems calm so she can drift off to sleep. The last 2 nights she has woken her usual twice for a feed. A handful of times she has woken just once which is great but no idea how it happened.
    I do think being wrapped is a comfort thing for her. And definitely her sleep cue. Either way getting her out of it now or later is going to be a challenge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you need to worry about transitioning bub out from the swaddle. It will happen when they're ready. I asked a midwife when we stop swaddling and she said to stop when the baby told us it was enough, and added that some babies like to be swaddled until 18 months or so, and that you simply use a cot sheet if they do. Does your baby fall asleep in the pram, bouncer, car without being wrapped? If the answer is yes then you really have nothing to worry about (not that you do either way). The day will come when your baby doesn't want to be swaddled anymore...in the mean time 'if it aint broke, don't fix it!'

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (15-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I don't think you need to worry about transitioning bub out from the swaddle. It will happen when they're ready. I asked a midwife when we stop swaddling and she said to stop when the baby told us it was enough, and added that some babies like to be swaddled until 18 months or so, and that you simply use a cot sheet if they do. Does your baby fall asleep in the pram, bouncer, car without being wrapped? If the answer is yes then you really have nothing to worry about (not that you do either way). The day will come when your baby doesn't want to be swaddled anymore...in the mean time 'if it aint broke, don't fix it!'
    Thanks @Full House. I assume longer term wrapping is arms out. And yes she will fall asleep in the car and pram with no wrap (only short naps 20-30 minutes).