+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,657
    Thanks
    1,662
    Thanked
    2,813
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Location. 5min vs 30 min is massive especially when you have to get all the kids in the car etc.
    It adds so much stress and time to the trip.

    We were considering buying a house that would put us 25 min away from friends and decided against it because of that.

    We have had friends who moved 1/2 hr away and we don't see much of them anymore
    Used to catch up at the drop of a hat a couple of times a week. Now it's once every 2d month if that and we need to schedule which is always a bit difficult with nap time etc.

    Also to us a 3bed is perfect size for a family of 5 so I don't mind smaller spaces 😊

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,327
    Thanks
    1,319
    Thanked
    3,228
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Location. 5min vs 30 min is massive especially when you have to get all the kids in the car etc.
    It adds so much stress and time to the trip.

    We were considering buying a house that would put us 25 min away from friends and decided against it because of that.

    We have had friends who moved 1/2 hr away and we don't see much of them anymore
    Used to catch up at the drop of a hat a couple of times a week. Now it's once every 2d month if that and we need to schedule which is always a bit difficult with nap time etc.

    Also to us a 3bed is perfect size for a family of 5 so I don't mind smaller spaces 😊
    All of this. I always say if you move 30mnutes away you may as well move 2 hours away. It means new daycare/schools, new gym, no more just having an impromptu catch up with friends who are close by...it all changes for 30 minutes travel. I would look at buying something more suitable in the same area...even if it means compromising on what you would get 30 minutes away, but just has a better layout compared to what you have now.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,705
    Thanks
    1,696
    Thanked
    2,489
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    All of this. I always say if you move 30mnutes away you may as well move 2 hours away. It means new daycare/schools, new gym, no more just having an impromptu catch up with friends who are close by...it all changes for 30 minutes travel. I would look at buying something more suitable in the same area...even if it means compromising on what you would get 30 minutes away, but just has a better layout compared to what you have now.
    Buying something else in this area is also an option, but for the price we'd get a better house in the other area. It's hard to justify getting a bigger mortgage unless the house is significantly better.

    I'd still see my local friends weekly as we have a regular catch-up/play date. A few of the places we catch up at are sort of half way between this area and the other area we're considering.

    DHs work is only 5min away from here, it will be more like 20min from the other area. So still pretty close. I'm not working and I study by distance so it's not really an issue for me in that regard. We'd keep the same daycare (next to DHs work), same GP etc. as all that stuff is in the main commercial area anyway.

    I so wish we could just extend! I really do love this location for so many reasons and it will be hard to leave when we do eventually move.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,426
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked
    1,588
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you go up rather than out with your existing house?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    941
    Thanked
    1,448
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would choose the house, I'm currently looking at movie away away. Far from friends and family to acreage and a larger house.
    It's just about weighing up what's important and beneficial to your family.

    I know I'd go crazy if I stay in my 3bed 1 bathroom house with a couple of children

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,705
    Thanks
    1,696
    Thanked
    2,489
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    Can you go up rather than out with your existing house?
    It's already 2 levels so going up isn't an option either.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

    NoteToSelf  (08-11-2015)

  8. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    15,034
    Thanks
    1,271
    Thanked
    4,213
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    In your situation I'd go for the bigger house, but then my view is probably a bit skewed because we don't see our friends regularly and driving doesn't bother us...we are used to it being a blended family not living close to our exes.

    In fact we just bought acreage 1.5 hours away; we move on Monday week! DP and I are kind of reclusive though, compared to a lot of people we know. We do look forward to making new friends in our new country location. I plan to check out the CWA and DP wants to get back into the CFA.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    4,088
    Thanks
    1,466
    Thanked
    1,221
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's too easy!
    Perfect house every time!

  10. #29
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,327
    Thanks
    1,319
    Thanked
    3,228
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Buying something else in this area is also an option, but for the price we'd get a better house in the other area. It's hard to justify getting a bigger mortgage unless the house is significantly better.

    I'd still see my local friends weekly as we have a regular catch-up/play date. A few of the places we catch up at are sort of half way between this area and the other area we're considering.

    DHs work is only 5min away from here, it will be more like 20min from the other area. So still pretty close. I'm not working and I study by distance so it's not really an issue for me in that regard. We'd keep the same daycare (next to DHs work), same GP etc. as all that stuff is in the main commercial area anyway.

    I so wish we could just extend! I really do love this location for so many reasons and it will be hard to leave when we do eventually move.
    I guess it depends on how much you love he area. When we bought we considered moving 30 minutes away because we could get so much for our money. I'm talking a 5 bed 3 bathroom on acreage for the same amount as a 3 bed 1 bath on less than 500 sqm. But at the end of the day we had zero desire to leave our location. Great school, close to everything we enjoy. The idea of having to drive 30 minutes all the time put us off big time. We love being able to leave the car at home and ride or walk to where we want to go....and simply don't want to be in the car all the time. That's actually really important to us, for environmental reasons but also because we want to teach our kids that you don't need to jump in the car every time you want to go somewhere...that there are other options. That would be difficult for us to do 30 minutes away.
    Plus, whilst the big houses looked appealing online neither DH or I enjoy domestic duties so the idea of spending a whole day mowing, and 2 days cleaning each week didn't appeal, and we knew our location was the most important thing, and we didn't actually want the big house anyway.
    We are comfortable in our small house, and not sure what we would do in such an oversized house anyway....except fill it up with stuff we don't need and spend more time on domestic duties.
    At the end of the day you need to decide what is important and most appealing for your family. I'd decide before your kids are school age, though. Also, are daycare and your DH's work only 20 minutes away in peak hour traffic? 30 minutes away for us meant 50 minutes away in peak hour traffic. Neither DH or I were keen to spend nearly 2 hours a day in our car driving to and from work. That's 10 hours a week we can spend doing other things that didn't involve sitting in traffic.
    Last edited by Full House; 08-11-2015 at 06:17.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    1,923
    Thanks
    629
    Thanked
    658
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Cue, I would personally go for location, location, location, because 'logistics' and travel time are important (I should say I am very time poor, work full time and logistics and weekend lifestyle are important, and I like to walk to shops, school and transport rather than drive). Travelling for school and daycare and shops, if that can be avoided, is always a good thing. we love our current home, however, have just purchased a new home which meets our current and future requirements (I am thinking ahead when I have 3 teenage children and what services are easily accessible to them as they grow)- walk to primary school, walk to our desired highschool, walk to train station for access to the city, walk to supermarkets and shops, beach. the house is a real dump! But it offers complete lifestyle and 'logistical' wellbeing (for us), so we are trading our lovely home for a 'renovation job'. I guess you have to decide what is truly important to you, make some for and against lists, and go from there. Good luck!


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
L'il Aussie Prems FoundationAn Australian charity supporting families of premature babies & children. The charity assists families who are at ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Sisters' WeddingIssues with Family Members
Can we use this name?Choosing Baby Names
IVF Babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017 #2pregnancy and babies through IVF
looking for some help pleasePregnancy & Birth General Chat
IVF babies due March/April/May 2018pregnancy and babies through IVF
Yummy MummiesMovies / Music / Books / TV Chat
Joyous June/July TTC! #2Conception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›