+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 79 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Yeh it's that really funny white one that you do paper mâché and stuff with. You can just coat your whole hand in it and it feels off like skin.
    Yep I know the one you mean now. I'll grab some on my day off. Thank you!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

Ahalfdozen  (28-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you get him to do something like dip his fingers in PVA glue and then pick the dried glue off? It might be the "picking" sensation he is after.
    Good suggestion!
    @HearMeRoar is he linked in with an OT who might be able to offer some alternative options?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @monnie24 I hope your surgery went well and that the kids were okay without you home for 4 days.

With regards to school, my DD is an April baby and could go either just before she turned 5 or just before she was 6. We chose the latter and it was the best decision. I think her ability to cope at school when she was younger would have been much different to the following year when she started.

We didn't have a huge list of requirements for school - we looked for somewhere with some knowledge about ASD kids (but more importantly, a desire to learn more as needed), a strong focus on social and emotional wellbeing (we asked how they implemented this both through explicit teaching and more incidental learning opportunities) and a school with teachers that would think and teach flexibly as required (i.e. if their 'usual' teaching style wasn't working, we wanted somewhere that would think outside the box). In addition, a small(ish) school with a community feel so DD wouldn't 'slip through the cracks'.

I think as Degrassi said, list a few things that are most important to you and focus on them. It's hard to find the perfect school that ticks every box so be prepared to compromise on things that aren't critical. Also ask them to provide examples of how they implement certain policies/procedures. We found that on occasions schools provided the "right" response that sounded great, but when we asked for examples of how something was implemented (e.g. the teaching and encouragement of resilience) it was a long way from what we were looking for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mr5 insists on standing at the dinner table. We tell him to sit and after a few minutes he ends up standing again. I don't think he is doing it on purpose really.
    I'm about ready to give up and just let him stand. Sure, it makes a lot more mess but he actually eats at a decent pace so maybe it's worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mr5 insists on standing at the dinner table. We tell him to sit and after a few minutes he ends up standing again. I don't think he is doing it on purpose really.
    I'm about ready to give up and just let him stand. Sure, it makes a lot more mess but he actually eats at a decent pace so maybe it's worth it.
    Do his feet touch the ground on your dining chairs? If not get a stool underneath or phonebooks. We just started feeding therapy and she said sensory/asd kids need there feet flat on something it's to stop distraction etc my ds also stands and eats too but we just got order for new chairs.

IMG_4559.jpg

Our trampoline arrived from funding hubby managed it together by himself in one arvo I was freaked as I've had surgery and I was getting so angry saying no no no (didn't want ds disappointed)

Also they sent two! And basically said who cares. I have taken it as good karma! We have paid for so much on our own still do! Still will. I'm going to put it at my mums for when kids go there no luck on our ndis even with our service provider intervening. I'm actually starting to give up. We have 19 hours left of funding :/

White Mage is offline I am going to go to bed.. for a few days
    Thanks
    Reviews
    That is one awesome tramp!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is a great trampoline.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Do his feet touch the ground on your dining chairs? If not get a stool underneath or phonebooks. We just started feeding therapy and she said sensory/asd kids need there feet flat on something it's to stop distraction etc my ds also stands and eats too but we just got order for new chairs.
    His feet aren't even close to touching, so maybe that's it. Our dining table is too high to get shorter chairs so might have to look at something to put under his seat.

We're still having problems with his bed wetting. Wet his bed last night so came into mine after getting new pjs on. Wet mine.
    It's gone back to almost nightly.
    We have dry nites but he gets so depressed wearing them. He wears them in our camper trailer but really doesn't want to at home and so I rarely make him. Plus those buggers are dear. It's cheaper to just wash his sheet and mattress protector every day.

We had someone come out for an NDIS info session last Wednesday. I was so shocked. I assumed we wouldn't get anything like that and our planner would be some random from the city who has no understanding of remote area living. But the planner came down with the info session lady, and he actually used to live in my town. And when we get to do planning, he is coming down for a face to face interview. I'm quite happy about that.
    Still not sure how much the NDIS will help us. Hopefully they can help with some of the therapies but we will see I guess.
    We've run out of the HCWA for this year and so are paying out of our own pocket and using private health. We have a little bit left to use once the new financial year hits but basically we are going to get very used to being completely self funded pretty quick so anything ndis helps with will be good I suppose.

White Mage is offline I am going to go to bed.. for a few days
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I haven't been round as much lately been hectic as right now.
    I will right something soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took DS2 to another paed (last one was not helpful) and she was fantastic she sat and took the time to look at Charlie as a individual rather then a diagnosis and spent a good hour talking to me about all the things I can do to help him and also managed to get him into the best ot in our area (usually a long waiting list) and not only that she prescribed him a compounded melatonin (he won't take the tablets) and since that got made and he started on it he has slept for at least 8 hours a night! It's the first time since he was born I have gotten more then 3 hours sleep. I have found now he is sleeping more he focuses and listens better and his talking has improved out of sight his speechy noticed a big difference just in a week and his meltdowns are few and far between and usually happens at night or in the afternoon when he is tired.