Closed Thread
Page 71 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
    White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Video Self Modelling @sajimum in a nut shell is recording your child doing a task you would like them to do, and make them watch it to retrain their brain.

There is a lot of research and funding and all sorts of stuff that has gone into this program and has proven to be a very useful tool if used properly. Ds2's teacher is a lecturer on the subject, and has her own website.

VSM has been around since the 70's but has only really taken off since technology caught up with what was needed for it to all work.

We saw the very first video ever created on the research, black and white, snowy and grainy. But it was on a child name Cheryl. She had autism and had somewhat big motor skill issues, and could not lift her feet up over obsticals.
    So they recorded cheryl with the help of an aid, walking over small things, the key of the recording was to concentrate on her legs as she did it, to let her see herself do the task.
    For 2 weeks they made cheryl watch the short video 3-4 times a week, so a total of 12mins of video.
    In the 3rd week the retested her on the same obsticals and without assistance was able to do it. To check that it wasn't an environmental condition type thing they took her outside on the play ground and she was able to weave back and forth over the playground frames, again unaided.
    All of us mum's in there got teary.

These things have helped parents with things like toilet training, learning to eat with a spoon, sleeping through the night uninterrupted, and just functioning with small things.

DS2's teacher created a video for a main****** student who seemed to have a meltdown every time he got off the school bus. He would get off, and there was like a red door between the bus and his class room door, he would walk and then as he reached the red door would fall to the ground and cry, sometimes last 2mins, other days could be hours, and it was driving the school bonkers cause it meant having a class without a teacher for however long the student would cry.
    DS2's teacher created a video that she recorded of him walking from the bus straight to the classroom, and all she did was cut out him melting down in between, he saw the finished video and the next day apparently stopped in front of the red door, thought about it and then kept going, after a week, he was fine, no more melt downs.

These type of videos have been known to help people with different disabilities, and even stroke victims.

I found it very interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    Video Self Modelling @sajimum in a nut shell is recording your child doing a task you would like them to do, and make them watch it to retrain their brain.

There is a lot of research and funding and all sorts of stuff that has gone into this program and has proven to be a very useful tool if used properly. Ds2's teacher is a lecturer on the subject, and has her own website.

VSM has been around since the 70's but has only really taken off since technology caught up with what was needed for it to all work.

We saw the very first video ever created on the research, black and white, snowy and grainy. But it was on a child name Cheryl. She had autism and had somewhat big motor skill issues, and could not lift her feet up over obsticals.
    So they recorded cheryl with the help of an aid, walking over small things, the key of the recording was to concentrate on her legs as she did it, to let her see herself do the task.
    For 2 weeks they made cheryl watch the short video 3-4 times a week, so a total of 12mins of video.
    In the 3rd week the retested her on the same obsticals and without assistance was able to do it. To check that it wasn't an environmental condition type thing they took her outside on the play ground and she was able to weave back and forth over the playground frames, again unaided.
    All of us mum's in there got teary.

These things have helped parents with things like toilet training, learning to eat with a spoon, sleeping through the night uninterrupted, and just functioning with small things.

DS2's teacher created a video for a main****** student who seemed to have a meltdown every time he got off the school bus. He would get off, and there was like a red door between the bus and his class room door, he would walk and then as he reached the red door would fall to the ground and cry, sometimes last 2mins, other days could be hours, and it was driving the school bonkers cause it meant having a class without a teacher for however long the student would cry.
    DS2's teacher created a video that she recorded of him walking from the bus straight to the classroom, and all she did was cut out him melting down in between, he saw the finished video and the next day apparently stopped in front of the red door, thought about it and then kept going, after a week, he was fine, no more melt downs.

These type of videos have been known to help people with different disabilities, and even stroke victims.

I found it very interesting.
    Thanks for the information, that's really interesting. I've never heard of it before!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Hi ladies,

DS1 has ASD, ADHD, SAD and depression.

When he is anxious and stressed, he picks at his hairline. I try to get him to focus on something else but not much works. I've tried getting him to sketch, read, play with Lego and use his fidget devices but he keeps going back to his hair.

He got a hair cut last night and this is what was under his mop.

IMG_1495757512.776470.jpg

Has anyone got any suggestions? I have cream to rub on his poor skin but I'm trying to get him to refocus so he stops.

I will work up the courage to tell our story in here soon :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you get him to do something like dip his fingers in PVA glue and then pick the dried glue off? It might be the "picking" sensation he is after.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (28-05-2017),sajimum  (30-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really surprised. Was scrolling through Instagram and saw an ad for an NDIS session in my town. I figured it was just those area targeted ads that are pre-done and just fill in the area of who is viewing it. I was about to screenshot the ad and send it to MIL so we could laugh about how they would never come out here. But I clicked it, and they ARE coming out here. I registered a ticket but I'm not sure I'll be able to go, given that it's scheduled at 2pm-4pm. I have two kids at home full time and a school pick up to do at 3pm.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (30-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey guys sorry I've been quiet my app has been crap!. Not letting me post Etc I fojldnt figure out what to do fix it.

Did anyone watch the autism project on insiders I thought it was a terrible way to show us.

I'm currently in hospital first time away from ds. I prepared him one whole month so I hope he is ok he visited yesterday but don't remember because of the meds.

How is everyone else going? We have two school open days to look at next week and then one in June. Can u tell me what I should ask etc? Did any of u hold your kids back a year

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

cassiecass  (07-10-2017),loodle  (06-06-2017)

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I held DS1 back a year, he wasn't ready. He used to go to a child care based kinder, he wasn't 'growing' from being there and there was no schedule so he just played the entire day.
    We put him a proper kinder, with a time table and what have you. And it was the best Decision, by the end he was very ready for school as far as following the schedule, it also gave him an extra year to help his speech develop more which was also a big thing.

Open days, um not sure if its the same every where but both my boys schools had a special needs teacher (aid, vice principal) present to ask questions about aid support and any concerns you might have if your child went there. And funding and how their aid system works. ( if you need or qualify for an aid)

Ask about class sizes, smaller is better.

Some of the bigger things you notice with how students and teachers interact with each other.
    During a school tour when we were looking, the principal asked my ds1 if the noise was too much for him, and reassured him that we didnt have to go in there if he didn't want to. And was on the floor with him when he spoke, it was our decision maker right there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @monnie24 I agree with what @White Mage has written regarding the school thing.

I think ASD kids do benefit from being sent to school when they're that bit older. DS was absolutely ready to start this year, but totally not the previous year.

With the schools, I'd ask them if they have had much experience with supporting kids on the spectrum and ask how they have delivered that support. You want a school that gives you the confidence that they can cater to your DS's needs. You want to know that they're going to really try and get funding for aide time for your DS.

Think of your biggest concerns and address them - for example one of our biggest fears was DS being able to easily abscond from the school grounds.

Hope you are recovering well in hospital xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Could you get him to do something like dip his fingers in PVA glue and then pick the dried glue off? It might be the "picking" sensation he is after.
    Oh that's a nifty idea! Thank you! Is PVA glue the craft glue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HearMeRoar View Post
    Oh that's a nifty idea! Thank you! Is PVA glue the craft glue?
    Yeh it's that really funny white one that you do paper mâché and stuff with. You can just coat your whole hand in it and it feels off like skin.