+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    You know I am beginning to realize something.
    People ask you about your day or your life, you talk about it, they listen, and then somewhere they ask you if you are 'seeing someone?'
    I feel like my unconventional life is me just complaining. No. Its my life..
    I feel similar sometimes. People probably just think I'm exaggerating. I actually very rarely complain, if ever. I'm a pretty upbeat person. But yesterday, my son was having a meltdown so we went through our usual routine which at one point involves me laying him on the ground and laying on him so put deep pressure on him (I keep my weight on my hands and legs so I can control how much "squish" he is getting). I wouldn't say this a frequent thing but it happens often enough that I am able to do it out of habit now.
    But yesterday, as I laid there on top of my son while he was screaming, hitting and kicking me, I just thought "these people who judge me or think I put too much emphasis on his condition, clearly have no effing idea". Their normal is so far fetched from ours.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (01-03-2017)

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I feel similar sometimes. People probably just think I'm exaggerating. I actually very rarely complain, if ever. I'm a pretty upbeat person. But yesterday, my son was having a meltdown so we went through our usual routine which at one point involves me laying him on the ground and laying on him so put deep pressure on him (I keep my weight on my hands and legs so I can control how much "squish" he is getting). I wouldn't say this a frequent thing but it happens often enough that I am able to do it out of habit now.
    But yesterday, as I laid there on top of my son while he was screaming, hitting and kicking me, I just thought "these people who judge me or think I put too much emphasis on his condition, clearly have no effing idea". Their normal is so far fetched from ours.
    I totally get it.
    My DH sometimes takes days off of work, (mostly for holidays) to help me with the kids when it's been a rather hard week. Obviously some of his fellow employees are not entirely happy about it. And quiet a few of them know that our boys have autism. But apparently one of them didn't really realise just how much of a 'job' it can be.
    My DH apparently had to explain in great detail what a day is like with our youngest. When he had finished, she was shocked and asked him how he even makes it to work.
    We just do what we have to, cause who else will?
    And you know this is where the whole "complaining' feeling or 'attention seeking' thing comes from, because people DON'T understand.
    I am beginning to understand how 'Awareness' is so important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure if I've joined this thread, maybe ages ago?
    I have 3 kids with asd, my eldest two live with my mother though (18 and 14).
    My 8 yr old son is very classically moderately asd.
    Big hugs. Totally understand what you're saying.
    People think they know what autism is but they don't know what it's like to live with it.
    Even now I have friends and family think I'm exaggerating, playing up my kids disorder or they seem in denial my kid has asd??

Yesterday wasn't a good day. It was meltdowns about everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had our first meltdown in weeks, DH took DS1 to tutoring and DS2 wanted to go but couldn't so he started screaming and bashing his head into the front door over and over. He was even backing up and running to do it and I tried standing between him and the door just so he wouldn't hurt himself and it caused him to scream louder and pinch and slap me. He finally settled down enough for me to hug him but would only stop hurting himself once I put him in the car to go for a drive. Today broke me, we have been dealing with a lot with DH's work at the moment and being uncertain about his future employment and I haven't slept more then 2 hours since Monday last week and the meltdown today was the straw that broke the camels back, I am sitting here in tears trying to get some inner strength to go to boxing class just so I have that hour to myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a DD6 she was diagnosed with ASD in sept last year, she has started kindy this year in main****** she received her first birthday invite. It is at inflatable world, from 2-4pm. So today is the day and I am freaking out, I am pretty confident none of the mothers know about her diagnosis and I am still not confident and comfortable with it enough to say it out loud and be prepared for those looks! I know everyone says it's fine but we all know the look you get or ur child will get after that is said. I am just trying to get myself together for this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofrosealiened View Post
    I have a DD6 she was diagnosed with ASD in sept last year, she has started kindy this year in main****** she received her first birthday invite. It is at inflatable world, from 2-4pm. So today is the day and I am freaking out, I am pretty confident none of the mothers know about her diagnosis and I am still not confident and comfortable with it enough to say it out loud and be prepared for those looks! I know everyone says it's fine but we all know the look you get or ur child will get after that is said. I am just trying to get myself together for this
    That's great that your DD got an invite

Everyone has their own feelings on whether or not to tell others about their child's diagnosis, though I personally find it helps to be open with people about DS having ASD. To me it's obvious he's a bit quirky and different, so I like that I'm able to explain why.

I hope it all goes smoothly and that your DD has an amazing time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So last week, DS2 had his PD appointment, it was something special.
    He didn't want to be in the room, he was getting in to everything, pulling everything apart, fighting being weighed and measured. The PD asked me if he was like this at home, and to be honest he is pretty all over the place and yes, destructive out of his own boredom and curiousity. I can only assume that at school he probably is just as all over the place.
    Anyway, it resulted in the PD prescribing him with more or less 'Chill pill' medicine, to calm him down a bit.
    I didn't refuse, I thought it was worth trying, if it meant being able to sit for 5mins without the worry of something going on elsewhere in the house.
    We started on an extremely low dose, and I already am noticing a few things.
    He looks tired by about lunch time and actually sits for a bit and watches tv. (never been able to do that before) He seems focused somewhat, and has been using his beading strings all weekend. He responded to his name, I beginning to wonder if he is beginning to understand what I am saying. Be interesting to see what school sees.
    Time will only tell. We go back in about 2 months to review the meds with the PD.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Awesome Mums of Autistic kids-how many of us are there (#3)????????

So I have decided that I am keeping Mr5 home from school today. We usually push through his bad moods in the morning and he settles by the time he gets to school. But I'm currently in the lounge room with my other 3 watching cartoons and he is in my room doing god knows what. There is a lot of banging so I am expecting a few things will be destroyed but I am just way to exhausted right now to deal with it.
    I think I'm going to have to just set him up in a room with teddy bears or something and let him have at it.
    Prior to being in my room, he was stabbing and hitting everything with his toothbrush. I've already cleaned up all the toothpaste.

Edit:
    Got to school to drop my other son off and he grabbed his bag (which I brought just in case), kissed me goodbye and ran off into school.
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 15-03-2017 at 08:55.

Thanks
    Reviews

11. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH came home from a weekend in S.A last night. And gave me some glimpses of his weekend with his family.
    As usual my all knowing mil gave advice. We are finally passes the denial stage and now giving advice.
    Problem is, what she suggests really reflects how much she doesn't know my kids.
    And I feel utterly insulted because it feels like she thinks I know nothing about parenting.
    'He needs to go some where for routune' yeah.. That's why he goes to a special school. He gets therapy they are doing stuff.
    'You should send the boys over for a week' ah.. No. They would destroy her house. Keiran would not want to stay, and I wouldn't let them on a plane by themselves ever.

While Dh was away, my sister put a bit of pressure on to go to the cinema with the kids. We saw the Peppa Pig movie.. Or at least they did. I was wrestling with DS2 in his chair. I think we managed 30mins before I gave up and went outside the cinema. We waited for them to come out.
    So frustrating.