+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My husband is having a sad day. Our son was sitting in the kids room on his own (they all share a room) while the other 3 were out watching a movie. Hubby went to talk to him and our son was asking why he has to see doctors all the time (his therapists). Hubby explained that it's because his brain works a bit different to ours and we are just trying to help him. Hubby didn't explain much further than that. He just went to bed really upset and my son is now reading a book. So I'm not sure what else was said. But how and when does everyone else explain autism to their kids? My 7yo NT son knows about it and knows that why his brother is different from other kids, and we freely use words like autism or disability etc in the house, so they aren't taboo words by any means. But I'm just not sure how to directly explain it to him, and I feel like he is getting to the stage where he wants to know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi 🏻
    I just had questions about NDIS funding we're waiting on the appointment. But I was after some tips for what to ask for my DD 6 started main****** kindergarten this year she is ASD level 2 has struggles and the school feel she need consistent aid but we qualified for only 2 hrs a day. I don't want to change school where the is an aided class she loves this school and is even getting invited to birthday parties. She principal has been quite flexible she has allowed us to have a slow transition/partial enrolment, so she is attending 9.15-11.45 mon-thurs and exempted the rest of the time she has Fridays off for OT and speech. They have agreed that 3 hrs seems to be her max at the moment as she shuts down or will have a meltdown, but does do a solid 2 hr work. We are going to keep continuing these times for as long as possible! But she feel the Gosford office won't keen signing off on it for her.
    Sorry for the long post, also did I read something a while back of NDIS funding holidays for them as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    Apparently it is common for kids to have big outbursts in attitude and such because they have spent hours concentrating and doing what they have to that they come home exhausted and just lash out. It happens, you will have good days and bad.

You will have to tell me jbeep about PECS, what is phase II??
    @Whitemage

Phase II of PECS is distance and persistence. So my DD has to travel to a person to give the card, even if they don't openly accept it.

Phase III involves object discrimination, so she will have to work on what pictures will give her what she wants.

Thanks for the info regarding outbursts. It's good to know it's common, and that its not something more serious I guess.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbeep For This Useful Post:

White Mage  (19-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ Sajimum

Thanks for the advice.

DS has had some better days in the last week. Seems to be better after school if I give him one on one time. I've had some home day care commence so I am able to give him this time now. Otherwise it was so difficult. When we got home from school I was trying to deal with dd1 who would be getting over a meltdown from being at the school, and sorting out my dd2 who would need another nap or breastfeed. It was insane.

I have a wonderful woman helping me now, and it's giving me some breathing room again.
    I only wish I had of known about the service sooner, could have used it six months ago!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ mumofrosaliened

I'm not in a NDIS area so I can't help sorry.

My DS 4&1/2 is in full time pre primary this year, is ASD level 2 and he received 2 full days of aid time through our local public school. We have him in other therapy for 1&1/2 days of the week, so we stretch out the aid time over the other 3.5 days.
    I was hoping for more but he seems to be coping well with it so far. But this is the most he will receive until his next evaluation in grade 3. I worry that things may change and he will struggle, especially since the next years of school won't even have a regular education assistant in the class.

Sorry I couldn't help with the NDIS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's sad @ahalfadozen hope he's feeling ok now I'm dreading explaining things. How are u now?

I'm so busy now. We do aqua therapy, speech Fridays, land ot and then behavioural therapy :/ I'm at uni too a so next week I'm stressed to max. If hubby gets work I will get them come to our house. Ds turns 3 next Sunday

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 10 year old DS came to me today and said "Mum I have figured out why Charlie has autism" and I thought here we go he will have some smart ar$e response (he is very sarcastic) but asked why anyway and his response was "well god or whoever is in charge decided we needed a rainbow to fill our hearts and sent him to us" and I nearly cried it was the most beautiful thing ever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (20-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    My 10 year old DS came to me today and said "Mum I have figured out why Charlie has autism" and I thought here we go he will have some smart ar$e response (he is very sarcastic) but asked why anyway and his response was "well god or whoever is in charge decided we needed a rainbow to fill our hearts and sent him to us" and I nearly cried it was the most beautiful thing ever.
    Aww that's beautiful. Much nicer than the "mum, what did you do wrong that gave Sawyer autism while he was in your tummy?" that I got off my 7yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofrosealiened View Post
    Hi
    I just had questions about NDIS funding we're waiting on the appointment. But I was after some tips for what to ask for my DD 6 started main****** kindergarten this year she is ASD level 2 has struggles and the school feel she need consistent aid but we qualified for only 2 hrs a day. I don't want to change school where the is an aided class she loves this school and is even getting invited to birthday parties. She principal has been quite flexible she has allowed us to have a slow transition/partial enrolment, so she is attending 9.15-11.45 mon-thurs and exempted the rest of the time she has Fridays off for OT and speech. They have agreed that 3 hrs seems to be her max at the moment as she shuts down or will have a meltdown, but does do a solid 2 hr work. We are going to keep continuing these times for as long as possible! But she feel the Gosford office won't keen signing off on it for her.
    Sorry for the long post, also did I read something a while back of NDIS funding holidays for them as well?
    My DS has NDIS funding - he is also 6 years old. We have only used the NDIS funding for therapy only - fortnightly speech and OT, and some appointments with a child psych. We have been happy with this so far, though I want to talk to our provider to see what else we might be able to use some of our funding for.

I was told when we started on the NDIS that it's harder to get things like equipment funded (ipads etc). I believe you can use funding towards things like swimming lessons or activities outside of school as it's considered beneficial to have them participate in community activities. I haven't heard of funding being used for holidays.

I would make it very clear during your NDIS planning meeting that your DD is really needing help with transitioning to school. What would work well is if you could have your OT and speech therapists do sessions with your DD at school to observe her in the class environment. They'll be able to guide the teacher/aide with what she needs to feel more comfortable at school.

You should be able to get some free advice from a professional regarding preparation for your planning meeting. In my area there is a service that allowed us to have a few meetings with a representative from Aspect (an OT) who helped us understand the NDIS and what we should ask for etc. There are usually workshops run by the NDIS periodically which also offer information on preparation for the planning meeting. Help is out there, you just need to make some enquiries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How many parents had their diagnosis after the 6yo cut-off for government support via the NDIS?

My daughter was diagnosed when she was 7yo so there is little support. The maximum her Paed could offer was 10 sessions with a SP or OC but not both. There is no other government support available as she is not eligible for any NDIS funding due to the 6yo cut-off.

I'm half tempted to hold her back a year at school to give her an extra year to mature before she goes into high school. She is in Year 4 at m.a.i.n.s.t.r.e.a.m school.