+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 87 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have the opposite problems with my son. He struggles and has no energy during holidays. I think it's the lack of routine.

Getting ready for big school now though. 3 weeks til he starts so we are trying to talk to him about it but because he doesn't grasp time well, he thinks it's hours or days away, not weeks. I'm getting nervous for it but I know they'll look after him and their contact with me is fantastic.

He showed me his impressive new "trick" yesterday. He can spell a handful or words, his name, siblings names, some basic words etc... But he can also spell them backwards. Quite quickly too. Just rattles it off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Ahalfdozen;8638021]We have the opposite problems with my son. He struggles and has no energy during holidays. I think it's the lack of routine.

Getting ready for big school now though. 3 weeks til he starts so we are trying to talk to him about it but because he doesn't grasp time well, he thinks it's hours or days away, not weeks. I'm getting nervous for it but I know they'll look after him and their contact with me is fantastic.

He showed me his impressive new "trick" yesterday. He can spell a handful or words, his name, siblings names, some basic words etc... But he can also spell them backwards. Quite quickly too. Just rattles it off.[/

Great new trick! I am sure he'll settle once the routine of school sets in. I think in our case DD loves school but it just takes alot out of her to be 'switched on' all day, 5 days a week. We have a whiteboard that we write a loose routine on every day during school holidays so she feels somewhat in control, which I think helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is at a school holiday program today. She woke at 4.45am in preparation for it Poor thing is going to be exhausted and probably antisocial all day. I hope she still enjoys it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is anyone else finding it difficult to access HCWA funding?
    I am so frustrated, I want resources for my DD6 we received the funding in nov last year, hoping we would be able to get her swings monkey bars and a trampoline. As she uses everything in the house as those items.
    We wanted to surprise her for Xmas... but could get into OT for even an assessment! Than we were lucky enough to get the assessment 15 dec hoping we would be able to get one after her parent meeting which wasn't till after the new year! I saw her 2 days ago and she's saying we need to see her regularly because we have to write a report supporting her needs. Well they can't offer a regular spot! In months, they also said I have to purchase than take the receipt to them, there can be up to a week turn around!
    I am so frustrated, i thought the purpose is to help my daughter get what she needs! But their making it so so difficult!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofrosealiened View Post
    Is anyone else finding it difficult to access HCWA funding?
    I am so frustrated, I want resources for my DD6 we received the funding in nov last year, hoping we would be able to get her swings monkey bars and a trampoline. As she uses everything in the house as those items.
    We wanted to surprise her for Xmas... but could get into OT for even an assessment! Than we were lucky enough to get the assessment 15 dec hoping we would be able to get one after her parent meeting which wasn't till after the new year! I saw her 2 days ago and she's saying we need to see her regularly because we have to write a report supporting her needs. Well they can't offer a regular spot! In months, they also said I have to purchase than take the receipt to them, there can be up to a week turn around!
    I am so frustrated, i thought the purpose is to help my daughter get what she needs! But their making it so so difficult!!
    That must be so frustrating! Is there no OT that you can get in to see regularly in your area?

We are lucky in that DD saw her OT regularly for a while last year to help settle in to school. Although she doesn't see her at the moment, the OT is happy to sign off on equipment that she thinks will be helpful. We have always purchased the equipment and just provided them with a receipt though - I think that's pretty normal. Though I think they did give the option of ordering it for us for a slightly higher cost for admin.

DD's HCWA runs out in April this year when she turns 7, and NDIS doesn't hit our area until April 2018 so no funding for us for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we were approved they told me they do order it for me so I don't have to pay.
    Is it only OT that can approve equipment? Can I get approved for those things or an iPad through our psychologist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we were approved they told me they do order it for me so I don't have to pay.
    Is it only OT that can approve equipment? Can I get approved for those things or an iPad through our psychologist?
    I would think the psychologist could approve certain items. Our speech pathologist certainly did so I can't see why a psych couldnt'. In terms of the way funding is accessed for equipment, it may just depend on each individual service. Very frustrating if they told you one thing but are now saying something different though.

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    @White Mage - how is your DS1 coping now? Has he recovered from his trip? The water obsession sounds really hard to manage. You must be counting down until school starts! Do your boys start back on the 31st?
    DS2 starts school on the 31st. DS1 starts back on the 1st. I am counting down!

Ds1 is at my mothers for a few days, it's been a bit easier with just DS2.
    I did take DS1 to the dentist and optometrist before he left, and all things are looking good on that front.

I am getting a bit of flack for the amount of youtube DS1 watches. I have been letting him because he wasn't coping with the holiday break, so anything that works....

It's good though to get all those appointments out of the way instead of juggling them over school days. Nothing worse~

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can.. We got an ipad through the speech therapist when DS1 was still on FACHSIA funding. It is easier getting them approved if you use them for certain things. The Speech therapist wrote down that the ipad was required along with money for appropriate apps that will help with speech.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

mumofrosealiened  (19-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @White Mage
    Really?
    Do you mind if I ask how much?
    So the iPad was outright not on a plan? Do you cover the data usage?