+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 89 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @ giggle berry,

I forgot to say hi and welcome!

I'm new to this forum also. My two eldest children received their diagnosis in April last year. They are 3 and 4&1/2.

Looking forward to hearing from you again

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You shouldn't blame yourself for not seeing it earlier, it's really hard to be 100% sure before the age of 2, and I honestly don't know anyone who has managed before then. So 2 and half is pretty early! DS2 got diagnosed at 2 and half too, and that was because that was the soonest we could get him in to see our Paed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @White Mage

Thanks for your support.

From the first paediatrician visit to actual diagnosis, it was only about 2 months, so I think we did the best we could. I guess the mum guilt is hard to kick

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with their kids regarding transitions. My dd1 is pretty bad with dealing with this right now. She has only just turned three, so I cut her some slack for that, but it's really difficult right now.

Sometimes she surprises me and is actually not to bad. Other days it's a nightmare. The biggest trouble I have now is when I pick up DS from school. She wants to get out the pram and play on the equipment (the school says this is a no no).
    I let her do this once last year before I knew the rules, and now every time we pick up she is thrashing and screaming in the pram. I had to get a 2nd hand Phil & Teds because in my side by side mountain buggy, she bit dd2 on the toe mid meltdown

We just got a 2nd hand spa for the kids to use, and she absolutely loves this. She drags us to the gate every morning without fail. I'd say over the two days we've been using it she is better when we tell her it's time to get out. She still kicks up a fuss but not nearly as bad and not as long.

But I'm getting nervous about school pick up. Especially since DS will be full time pre primary this year. So I have to deal with it 5 days a week.

She has about 15 words but doesn't use them every day. So communication is a big factor. We try first/then and also five and one minute warnings. It's hard to know what works. I think she understands more than she can express to us.

Any suggestions would be good, or just any experience and words of wisdom would be great too! It's so hard right now with her, she is a feisty little thing. And I love that about her but it's still hard.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry guys I've been so busy packing to move. I am exhausted

@Ahalfadozen is your uni fulltime? I just got into tafe fulltime or uni I don't know what to do. How are you going to manage therapies etc? I'm freaking out. Any tips would be great. Ps tafe is EN and uni is disability I don't know what to pick but I have don't one year of disability ahh.

How is everyone going preparing there squids for school? Are you doing visuals?
    My only suggestion if u haven't is maybe start using there lunch boxes etc now if they have a new one.

I'm having a few issues as SA knows I can use hcwa but they don't know where like FFS have no appointments yet so pretty frustrating! Did u know you can claim swimming on ndis etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Sorry guys I've been so busy packing to move. I am exhausted

@Ahalfadozen is your uni fulltime? I just got into tafe fulltime or uni I don't know what to do. How are you going to manage therapies etc? I'm freaking out. Any tips would be great. Ps tafe is EN and uni is disability I don't know what to pick but I have don't one year of disability ahh.

How is everyone going preparing there squids for school? Are you doing visuals?
    My only suggestion if u haven't is maybe start using there lunch boxes etc now if they have a new one.

I'm having a few issues as SA knows I can use hcwa but they don't know where like FFS have no appointments yet so pretty frustrating! Did u know you can claim swimming on ndis etc?
    I'm hoping to do full time (distance ed though) and will pull back if I can't manage it.
    My sons therapies are set days, every second Friday as we have a 9 day fortnight with school so we go on his day off, so it's easy enough to schedule around as I know all the appointments a year in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Monnie24 - Both of the boy's schools have created visual stories.
    With DS1 when he started prep, the school encouraged visiting the grounds over the holidays, just to play on the play ground and get used to the grounds.
    They also sent home something of a board game and on it had symbols on each square, things like "school books" and "bell" and you spoke about each thing. And kept playing until someone won.
    Talking about school a bit more each day. Letting them pick out things like their lunch box and water bottles, and even shoes if you can swing it.

We are ready as we ever can be over here, bags are already packed and play dough made. Uniforms hanging in the wardrobe.
    I am going to slowly start getting DS1 to read books again and whip out his old word list to refresh his memory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So our holidays are starting to get much more harder.
    DH went back to work on Monday and this week has just been very hard.
    DS2 has reverted back to his water obsession, drinking so much water that his no2's have liquify. He continues to shove cups into my hand no matter what I might be doing and will continue to do so until I fill it, and this kid is extremely persistant. He goes as far as drinking from the water troff outside to the toilet! It's been frustrating.
    My Mum came over and did some cleaning for me, and moved all the cups and bottles to higher places, but left all the glasses... which resulted in DS2 throwing the glass onto concrete outback, trying to keep him inside while I cleaned up the glass was hard, I ended up hurting my feet trying to do so. And then I couldn't even fix my feet because DS2 was there trying to get me to fill up a cup for him.
    Today I had had enough... he went out back in the rain and played.. mud everywhere... all that nice clean housework mum did was instantly erased..
    *sighs*

Ds1 since coming back from the in laws for christmas, has locked himself in my room ever since and watched tv, and has refused to leave.. ugh.. if I had known travelling elsewhere would of had such an effect on him I would of just let DH go alone..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Struggling that is all.

No therapies booked and I'm tired

Thanks
    Reviews
    welcome @giggle berry – My DD also had hearing issues which complicated matters and delayed us seeking an assessment. I hope your DS thrives in his second kinder year.
    @Ahalfdozen – we didn’t have just one aha moment. We had discussed the possibility of autism on and off since DD was about 2.5 years old as she had a speech delay (but caught up after grommets were put in), possible low motor tone and was very anxious socially (would not speak to anyone except DH and I and my parents). However, she had lots of health issues when she was younger and we weren’t sure how much they were impacting on her behaviour. Once she was in 4 year old kinder we were convinced she met criteria for the social difficulties associated with autism, but weren’t sure if she would meet criteria for the second part of the diagnosis (repetitive behaviours, sensory issues, etc.). She had a terrible period of anxiety in the early part of that year which is what made us decide it was time for formal assessment. So glad we went down that route as it’s helped us to understand her so much better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @White Mage - how is your DS1 coping now? Has he recovered from his trip? The water obsession sounds really hard to manage. You must be counting down until school starts! Do your boys start back on the 31st?
    @monnie24 - sorry to hear you're struggling. Are therapies not booked because it's school holidays still? Is there anyone you can call on to give you a break for a while?

We got back from our 2.5weeks away late last week. DD coped really well. She has so much more energy when she's not at school and isn't expected to 'be social' all the time. However, since getting back her anxiety has increased and she's not sleeping, which in turn is impacting behaviour. I think it might just be because school is going back soon, but I am not sure. We have quite a feew appts squeezed in to the next couple of weeks before school goes back - psych, speech, GP (to update enhanced care plan and mental health plan). Trying to get it all done so she doesn't have to miss school!