+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Who said 'why label her'? I would be getting someone new involved if that was one of your therapy team! Are you thinking of getting your DD tested for ASD?
    Yes I am thinking of it as she is showing so many signs

Thanks
    Reviews
    @monnie24

I'm sorry you've had to face such ignorance when it comes to seeking testing for your daughter. It's such a shame it still exists today.

The whole point of testing is to get your child help, so they don't have to suffer if they are finding things difficult. I can't believe people still see it as merely a label. It makes me so mad. Especially when it comes to girls. It's really sad to see many girls fall through the gaps because diagnostic criteria is still so male based and out dated.

I've read a lot recently about this topic since I have a daughter on the spectrum. Fortunately for me she had obvious behaviours at a young age, so our diagnostic process was quite simple compared to others I've heard about. She was 2.4 when she was diagnosed.

You would think people would take you a bit more seriously since you already have one child on the spectrum.

I just wanted to say I'm sorry you experienced this, and I hope you get the support you need if that's the path you wish to take

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update for my ds's aid time for pre primary next year.

We just found out he will get 2 full days of aid time per week. He will be full time pre primary five days a week. But we are continuing on some therapy next year which will see him out of school for 1.5 days. So he will be having aid time for 2 of the 2.5 days he is there, which isn't so bad.

And they can divide up the hours so he has help at least part of each day he attends.

I was hoping for a little more, but at least it's not too bad considering he won't be there every day.

It's so difficult how they decide who gets what. Just because my son may not be as disruptive, does not mean he won't require one on one to stay on task and pay attention.
    But then I know other kids may require a lot more support. I know my daughter will.

I'm looking into a support centre for my daughter when she starts kindy in 2018. I know she wouldn't cope, and smaller class sizes would help for a start!

Wishing you all luck for next year with your kiddies and school!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Merry Christmas guys. We had a horrible day of melt downs all day. I am still recovering.

My mil is here so I think it's s combo of childcare finishing up, her being here and then he's OCD too so he got wooden trains and if they fall off he gets cranky he just destroys the track. I'm not sure how to combat his behaviour he also got a soccer ball bigger one and if he doesn't kick it right full melt down. So tired.

That amount of support sounds suffice to to me as u will be doing therapy too !! Ds will goto childcare 2 days week dd in Kinder xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Merry Christmas everyone!

JBeep that sounds pretty decent to me! Hopefully it will be adequate. Is your DS going to a public school?

Monnie, sorry to hear you had a tough Christmas Day. It's a tough time of year for our kids I think. Hopefully he settles a bit soon for you.

Our Christmas was easier than usual as my parents had set up a small pool. DD was in heaven and spent the whole day in there apart from eating and presents! We are supposed to leave for our holiday soon (DH tomorrow and us on Wednesday) and DS has just woken up with gastro DD is also now wide awake and upset. I hope the rest of us don't get it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So, he's currently laying under his bed (against the wall, I can't reach him) screaming because he didn't win Operation.

It's hard when you get reminded so dramatically how much harder "every day things" are for him.

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    So, he's currently laying under his bed (against the wall, I can't reach him) screaming because he didn't win Operation.

It's hard when you get reminded so dramatically how much harder "every day things" are for him.
    I totally get.. what you are saying... Many many scotches so far these holidays.

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    So our trip to S.A was certainly memorable..

The flights were the easiest part.

We stayed with my SIL and her hubby in Christies Beach, her house a stone throw away from the beach. We of course arrived during their heat wave and it was disgusting, so the kids were kept inside. It being the holidays, nothing was really open.. not even Boxing Day which caught us by surprise since in Melbourne everything is open for discount sales. Lucky for us a chemist was open so we could buy nappies from there.

To get to the itty gritty...
    DS1 had melt downs EVERY SINGLE DAY, and sometimes more then once, he kept calling people names, because he was anxious as all hell. And couldn't handle the changes in place, weather, and after 2hrs of being there in our 5 day trip, he wanted to go home.

DS2 explored every nook of the house, and was hooked on touching all the buttons on all the appliances, climbing the stairwell to the 2nd floor, and playing with the water taps on all floors. And he circulated through all those things, so the DH and I were constantly following him around.

The Ipad stopped charging after day 2.

Christmas Day there were 25ish people, DS1 couldn't handle it and stayed up stairs. DS2 kept getting pushed around by another boy who was there because he wanted to play with his ipad...

The boys hardly ate.

The DH and I did not rest, we were changing kids every few hours to keep each other sane.
    For the inlaws, the novelty of seeing the boys wore off after the 2nd day. They were pretty much over it by the time Christmas was over. I still have no clue as to why we decided to go home on the 28th...

I was done by Christmas Eve.

My MIL ignored me on the first day. She still believes there is nothing wrong with DS1. And 'admits' there is something with DS2. She got on DH's nerves because she kept rolling her eyes everytime Jay used professional kind of words when describing the kids issues. It was truly off putting...

DH said he doesn't want to go back for a real long time.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh no @White Mage, that sounds like a nightmare You must have been be so relieved to go home. Your MIL certainly didn't make things any easier with her attitude
    - I'd be so mad at that!

Our Xmas was pretty good at my parents house, though DS was pretty over it by early evening (we stayed the night there). Poor boy was in tears and wanted to go home. My family are just so loud, there's no chill at all!

I love them dearly, but I think we'll stick to day visits rather than staying overnight in future. I tend to have that 'I wish we just drove home' feeling every time we stay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ Sajimum

DS is at the local public school.

Merry Xmas to you all too

We had a quiet one this year, celebrated Xmas on Xmas eve with my family. Had a swim in my sisters pool. Was all going great until dd1 did a poo in her swimming pants. 99% contained so that was good, the cleanup was nasty and I got upset. Reminded me how things are so different for us now. I know she's only 3 but sometimes it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Also had to run around after dd1 and remove anything she had picked up from her mouth. Or anything she could break. And people wonder why it's easier to stay home. She is into everything and has no fear. Great combination. And she's a wicked climber

Last week was tough as my DH was back working and I had all three kids at home. The older two were itching to go out, and we all got a bit of cabin fever. I managed to get us all out to the park a few times so that was good. But we had our fair share of tough moments too.
    @White Mage, I can understand how difficult that must have been staying in somebody else's house. I don't know how you managed to do it and survive it all! Well done!

Hope you all have a good summer.