+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @ monnie24

DS is four and a half. This year he has attended five full days of kindy over a fortnight. He also has a half hour of speech once a fortnight. And a social skills speech group 3 hours a week. And one day a week at the autism association in our state (combo of OT, speech and behaviour stuff). He manages ok and has been doing this since he was 3.9 after diagnosis in March/April this year.

DD1 is 3 now. She was 2.4 at diagnosis. We started out with a social skills group until other therapy could start. But it wasn't a good fit for her. Now we do floortime OT for an hour once a week. Two half days at the autism association a week. And speech for half an hour once a fortnight.

This seems to be a better fir for her, due to her age and also her coping levels. She has more sensory and emotional regulation issues than DS.

But lately DS has been throwing things and pushing occasionally, we think he's craving deep pressure. We've tried some heavy work and this seems to calm him for a half hour or so. You can really notice the difference. But it's so overwhelming trying to figure out what works, when to do it and how to manage it when it's attention seeking only.

This is a tough gig

I've been a bit of an emotional wreck this week. School finished up last Thursday and I don't know how I'm going to cope over the holidays with my three kids. My ten month old still wakes 3-4 times so I'm up every two/three hours. Running on empty is an understatement! They don't have their therapy over the holidays and it makes it so hard. Why does it have to stop? Autism doesn't take a holiday

We have both kids enrolled in a holiday program each, so that will help. But it's daunting doing this without a lot of support. I have been struggling to keep it together lately.

DS had a little concert at kindy last week for his last day. They did singing and the national anthem. Then they sung a song about how they love their mums and dads, and I lost it! I was the only one crying in the room I guess maybe when your child tells you they love you all the time, maybe it's not as big an emotional impact on them when it happens. He sang it and looked right at me and pointed! It was gorgeous

I hope you all have a wonderful Xmas. I'm looking forward to DH having a bit of time off and taking the kids swimming when we can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Got Santa photos done I wasn't worried about Mr6 or Miss3 as they are both social and love Santa, but I was really worried about Mr4 who is my one with ASD and Mr2. They both hate people, hate noises, hate being in the spotlight. But the people were really good about it. The got out a little camping chair and put it in front of Santa for Mr4 to sit on. That way he was still in the photo but not touching Santa.
    We had a big pep talk with him before it. A lot of coaching to get him to sit down and maybe a bribe of a donut. But he got it, and he wasn't even crying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ Ahalfdozen

That's a great result!

I had photos done recently. But I made a booking with a photographer who was doing a special Santa day. So we had a waiting area with a ball pit and toys, and a specified time slot. But I was still nervous about dd2.

They had a Xmas set with a tree, fireplace and chairs. So they took photos of my kids there. And then they asked if I wanted Santa to come in.

DS sat on his knee, looked away and started to get upset. But we got one good shot in. Then dd2 was given to Santa, she's 10 months. She stared at him in amazement

Dd1 was upset at leaving the other area, she doesn't transition very well at all. So she was playing with the balls on the tree with her back to the camera the whole time!

I wasn't even going to attempt her with Santa! At least I have a photo with all three kids in it. She's looking at the tree but hey, she's in it!

DS and dd1 both have ASD. I knew DS would be OK, but I had no expectations for dd1.
    She doesn't like people either. Makes sense why it was so difficult for her to do it last year. I had her on my lap and she was still trying to bolt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Christmas is a bit of a bitter sweet time in our house. It's just so hard for him and he can't handle the pressure. We have to wrap his presents all in one present usually as he only has the mental stamina to open one gift before he flips out. And for the other kids I photoshop a photo of our tree with Santa in front of it and stuff, but I can't show him because he gets so upset that a stranger was in our house.

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Christmas is a bit of a bitter sweet time in our house. It's just so hard for him and he can't handle the pressure. We have to wrap his presents all in one present usually as he only has the mental stamina to open one gift before he flips out. And for the other kids I photoshop a photo of our tree with Santa in front of it and stuff, but I can't show him because he gets so upset that a stranger was in our house.
    Oh wow! That would be a hard one work around...

I had a mini break down last night..
    I made the realisation that I was spending 5 days at my SIL's shiny, stair ridden, dog hurding home, with DS2. It's going to be a terrifying holiday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got both kids report cards from childcare not sure if yours do that

Ds's was very positive apart from his 'short attention span if he gets distracted'

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just got a book with photos and artwork etc for the year. I had a pretty close relationship with DSs preschool teacher though and we spoke about any issues on the day they happened so it was a pretty good setup

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Yep weather is **** house.

How is everyone? I've booked apps for next year can everyone tell me what u do in a week for therapy? EG we have OT, speech and behaviour is that too much? They have also said ds can do swimming and inclusive sports. I'm worried he will be tired.

We spoke about getting DD tested and she said to me 'why label her' umm r u kidding me!! Sick of talking to these f heads in these government departments.
    It's hard balancing the need for therapy and the associated fatigue that can come with it. DD fatigues easily so we need to be careful not to overload her. Prior to starting school she was doing 1 speech session fortnightly and 1 OT session fortnightly, plus a weekly social skills group and swimming lessons. She continued the speech and OT after starting school until she was settled and doing well. From Term 2 onwards she just did a social skills group and a relaxation class (yoga/mindfulness etc). She will likely need further speech and maybe OT intervention at a later date, but no need at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did Santa photos at the start of December. Thankfully DD is always excited to tell Santa what she wants, so there were no issues. DS (who's 4 and neurotypical) was a little apprehensive but settled once it was our turn.

WhiteMage that sounds like a full on 'holiday'. Will your DH be there to lighten the load on you a little bit at least?

Ahalfdozen I know what you mean by bittersweet. I absolutely love Christmas and the chaos that it entails. DD also copes pretty well, but we need to be really careful not to have too many busy days and social engagements and need to schedule lots of rest time for her. She also doesn't sleep well due to the anxiety/excitement surrounding the holidays so that means her resilience is lower than usual and her social skills really decrease. It must be hard for you to figure out how to manage all of your kids needs/wants around this time.

Jbeep that sounds like a positive Santa experience! I love that there are opportunities to book the Sensitive Santas for kids that just wouldn't cope with the usual chaos of Santa photos. It sounds like a great set up. Good luck for dealing with all the kids over the holidays!!

School and kinder has also finished here. DD's report was so positive it made me a little teary. She's worked so hard this year, and although there's been a few challenging times (with fatigue and anxiety levels high) it really has been a positive first year of school for her. I am so looking forward to relaxing after Christmas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Yep weather is **** house.

How is everyone? I've booked apps for next year can everyone tell me what u do in a week for therapy? EG we have OT, speech and behaviour is that too much? They have also said ds can do swimming and inclusive sports. I'm worried he will be tired.

We spoke about getting DD tested and she said to me 'why label her' umm r u kidding me!! Sick of talking to these f heads in these government departments.
    Who said 'why label her'? I would be getting someone new involved if that was one of your therapy team! Are you thinking of getting your DD tested for ASD?