+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 82 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    Had school transition today, got to meet DS2's teacher and have a very long chat with her. She was really lovely, I am really feeling a lot less stressed now, and we have made goals.

- Toilet training
    - A form of communication that people on all levels will understand.
    - Eating properly. (He eats too fast, stores food in his cheeks likes a squirrel and swallows like an emu, and uses hands and not utensils)

I put him in uniform today to help him in the future with understanding where it is he is going.

Attachment 87082
    That's fantastic. A good, understanding teacher is invaluable. My OT recommended asking the school if I can take my son up during one of the "teacher only" days at the start of the year, so he can get comfortable in the room without all the other kids there.

*sigh* just feeling a bit bleh about stuff at the moment.
    Not my son. Just the red tape that seems to be attached.
    Talking to his next year teacher about an ILP and his Best Start stuff. She is really good with him so I'm not too worried about it. But just trying to come up with his learning outcomes and stuff is sending my mind into a whir.

Also, been trying to talk to some people about the NDIS. Joined some Facebook groups etc. I'm feeling more and more like we will just forgo it when it arrives. The pittance we will get is really not worth them trampling our lives for.

He is doing well though. 2 nights without wetting the bed. Hooray!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    So what is everyone getting their kids for christmas? I really struggled this year as Davin is very hard to figure out, you can take him through a toy store and he really wont rush to anything he wants, he doesn't observe his surroundings at all. So it's a win in some ways as I never have him asking for everything in the store, but it means.. he never asks for anything in the .. store.. yeah..
    Lots of things I have bought in the past has only lasted a few moments and the brushed to the side.

My eldest needs fine motor stuff so I bought a heap of lego since he seems to be in to it at the moment.
    DD is hard to buy for too as she's not really into many toys at the moment and rarely asks for things either. We have board games, craft, puzzles, books, lego, some beach stuff, clothes and a few little toys (I got a few types of toys in the hope that she would fall in love with some and I can then buy more for her birthday!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just catching up - We haven't transitioned to NDIS yet and I am not really looking forward to it at all! I think our area rolls out in 2018. I will start looking into it a bit more next year as it gets closer.

Hair cuts aren't a problem here thankfully. DD now loves going to the hairdresser and will get her hair washed and cut there and then they braid it for her.

WhiteMage DS2 looks so cute in his next uniform! What did he think of it? It's great that you're happy with his teacher.

Halfdozen - what makes you think you should forgo NDIS? Just too many hoops to jump through? If you don't apply now, can your DS apply later in life if needed do you know? I am a complete novice on this issue! Well done to your DS for 2 nights without bedwetting!

We are in our last week of school thank goodness. We have a confirmed teacher for next year and although I haven't met her yet she is supposed to be fantastic. At this stage I will not push for a meeting until after the school year has started (unless DD seems excessively anxious prior to starting in late Jan), but we will do a social story prior to the year starting with pictures of DD and her teachers, classroom, classmates, etc.

Does anyone have any exciting plans for the holidays? We are heading away for a few weeks. Desperately hoping DD copes okay and sleeps while we are away or it could be a nightmare! I think she will be okay as we have lots of downtime scheduled and we are spending 4-5 nights in each place to allow her to settle a bit. I can't wait but I am a little anxious about it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Halfdozen - what makes you think you should forgo NDIS? Just too many hoops to jump through? If you don't apply now, can your DS apply later in life if needed do you know? I am a complete novice on this issue!
    From all the questions I have asked and info I have been given, we will only be entitled to 10 sessions per therapists per year (so not even half of what we currently do) and that I will have to do agency managed meaning I can't use who we already do, I would have to go to registered ones. The nearest of which, I would have to drive 8-9 hours each way to get to (from my home in NSW, through Victoria and into South Australia).
    So basically of the $8000 spent on therapists per year, only $3000 would be covered and to get that $3000, we would have to drive so much further and likely to have to stay overnight meaning we would end up spending a lot more than $3000 in incidentals and have to use therapists my son doesn't even know. And we wouldn't get a say in when we go. They would just make a booking and we have to be there.

It's really not worth saving $3k (well not even) to lose autonomy over our lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    From all the questions I have asked and info I have been given, we will only be entitled to 10 sessions per therapists per year (so not even half of what we currently do) and that I will have to do agency managed meaning I can't use who we already do, I would have to go to registered ones. The nearest of which, I would have to drive 8-9 hours each way to get to (from my home in NSW, through Victoria and into South Australia).
    So basically of the $8000 spent on therapists per year, only $3000 would be covered and to get that $3000, we would have to drive so much further and likely to have to stay overnight meaning we would end up spending a lot more than $3000 in incidentals and have to use therapists my son doesn't even know. And we wouldn't get a say in when we go. They would just make a booking and we have to be there.

It's really not worth saving $3k (well not even) to lose autonomy over our lives.
    I can definitely see why that would be not worth it for you at all. 10 sessions per therapist per year doesn't sound like very much at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hating today DS has a cold and meant have Xmas pics

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Hating today DS has a cold and meant have Xmas pics
    I know a lot of kids who seem to be suffering this weekend... the weather isn't helping -_-

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep weather is **** house.

How is everyone? I've booked apps for next year can everyone tell me what u do in a week for therapy? EG we have OT, speech and behaviour is that too much? They have also said ds can do swimming and inclusive sports. I'm worried he will be tired.

We spoke about getting DD tested and she said to me 'why label her' umm r u kidding me!! Sick of talking to these f heads in these government departments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Yep weather is **** house.

How is everyone? I've booked apps for next year can everyone tell me what u do in a week for therapy? EG we have OT, speech and behaviour is that too much? They have also said ds can do swimming and inclusive sports. I'm worried he will be tired.

We spoke about getting DD tested and she said to me 'why label her' umm r u kidding me!! Sick of talking to these f heads in these government departments.
    We do Speech half hour a fortnight and OT an hour a fortnight (on the same day). We could possibly do more but the practicalities of travel to them etc doesn't make it really doable.
    We do Psych for an hour every 6 weeks.

White Mage is offline Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Why did they have to make the last day of school be a Tuesday..?

DS1 is a bit confused with everything happening at the moment, being in grade 1 transition, then back in prep, then today they tried to divide the classes up to watch movies, and he wasn't having any of it, absolutely lost it. "I don't want to be in another prep room" couldn't calm him, I tried to persuade him, had to get his chair bag so figured if he saw what the other kids were doing he might want to stay, but nope. Done.
    He has half a day tomorrow, and he will be GOING.