+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 83 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to share the progress my DS (ASD) has made with the toilet!

He started kindy this year when he was 3.5. In WA they start the year they turn 4 before June 30. We got his diagnosis in the first term of school. I had only started toilet training him December the year before.

He took about 3 weeks to get the pee in the potty business, never sat down, stood over it. Didn't take long to transition him to the toilet as he was used to standing. But he has not been as successful with number two's.

He would run outside and do it on the grass, run outside and do it in his pants, or run to the toilet but do it on the floor.

He has only had one or two accidents at kindy though, he usually goes in the afternoons.

But the last few weeks something has finally clicked. He has done so well lately. About 7 successes in the last few weeks. And the last three days have all been good. About half of those times he has taken him self without my prompting too. He doesn't need prompting with wees though.

It feels like we've finally turned the corner with this. I'm so pleased for my little guy. He's so proud of himself too which is awesome.

Now I know what to expect or not to expect, I'm in no rush to start DD1, (ASD) who turns three this month. It's great I don't have to rush her for school, she doesn't start kindy until 2018.

An update with DD's melatonin. She's had it two nights in a row. It starts to work after an hour. She has slept straight through the first night. But last night she woke at 2am, then 4:30am. DH managed to get her back asleep by 5:30 then she woke for the day at 7:30am. She is sick though with a cold and slight temp, so wondering if that played a role also. She passed out on the couch this arvo and slept 45 mins.

Fingers crossed we have more success tonight. At least it allows her to sleep straight away, that's made a big difference for us so far

DD2 (8 months) is teething though, so still no sleep for me anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's great news about the toileting! Must be such a relief for you and so lovely that he's really proud of himself too. You never know, you might not have as many issues with your DD when she decides she's ready
    Glad the melatonin is helping too. I've heard it's done amazing things for lots of families with kids on the spectrum. Have you noticed a corresponding improvement in mood/coping ability during the day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Omg so thrilled just found out our funding can goto Adelaide so we can use it while waiting for NDIS! Thank god.

I'll reply tonight as I've buggered my back

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    jbeep! That's such great news about the toileting, colour me green!

monnie, tell us how it goes!! I am curious as to what to expect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eeek first day of orientation/transition tomorrow. Trying to balance making a big deal out of it so he feels proud and excited, without going overboard and putting too much pressure Haha.

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Eeek first day of orientation/transition tomorrow. Trying to balance making a big deal out of it so he feels proud and excited, without going overboard and putting too much pressure Haha.
    Exciting times! You will have fun! Tell us how it goes!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are on our 3rd week of orientation at a public school for my ASD DD 5. I'm really concerned they don't seem to be taking her disability seriously, she has just been put in and expected to carry on as any other child. This is my first experience and my DD was only diagnosed in sept, from what I hear all the special aid classes in the area are already full and usually have a waiting list (there isn't one at this school either) has anyone had an experience with correspondence? I have rang the distant educator and they told me I have to talk to the principal to get them on board than the local educator (i think she was) they gave me her name and number. But this lady told me ultimately it isn't up to me, myself the principal and the educator have to come to a agreement. Is it difficult?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofrosealiened View Post
    We are on our 3rd week of orientation at a public school for my ASD DD 5. I'm really concerned they don't seem to be taking her disability seriously, she has just been put in and expected to carry on as any other child. This is my first experience and my DD was only diagnosed in sept, from what I hear all the special aid classes in the area are already full and usually have a waiting list (there isn't one at this school either) has anyone had an experience with correspondence? I have rang the distant educator and they told me I have to talk to the principal to get them on board than the local educator (i think she was) they gave me her name and number. But this lady told me ultimately it isn't up to me, myself the principal and the educator have to come to a agreement. Is it difficult?
    Which state are you in? Is it a public school?

If the principal is aware of your DD's additional needs, they should be lodging an application for additional student services support. They need to request Integration Funding Support so that they can try and get some aide time for your DD. Usually a child with additional needs will have a cognitive assessment done also (which helps with the application) so they can figure out how your DD performs in comparison to her peers. Has the school done anything like this yet?

Once the application is lodged, I believe it is up to a district panel to decide. The time frame would depend on when they meet up next.

Definitely do what you can to get the principal on board ASAP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have noticed many mums end up going distance/home schooling due to struggles. I will not be able to do that. I am thick as bricks gov schools are entitled to funding but sometimes prob are better. Look around if u have to move better now. Good luck Hun

We have chosen three schools. One is in excess of 20k!!

Nervous to be moving it's so scary considering kids Etc I'm just anxious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mr4 had his third orientation day today. He's just been going til the end of recess (11:30). He was fine on Friday but struggled a bit yesterday and today. Hopefully it just takes some getting used to. Apparently he just cries a lot. Cries because he doesn't know where to sit or because he wants to do a different activity or whatever else.
    Yesterday when I went to pick him up, he was inside the boys toilets behind the door, bawling his eyes out. Because I gave him baked beans in his lunchbox but forgot a spoon and he didn't know to just ask the office.

But the principal (who had his class today) says she thinks he will get there eventually. Next year he might just start on half days for the first week.