ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 35 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
    White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hmmmmm it's a tricky thing really.
    Ds2 used to eat everything but things that were orange (Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, carrot) but over time we are literally down to sandwiches, and chicken nuggets.
    My PD told me as long as they are growing healthy, and you can name at least 20 things they are eating you are doing ok.

When it comes to food, he would be happy to eat all day every day. We actually weren't sure if he was actually hungry or just seeking for oral sensory seeking.
    We have stuck to a very strict routine that has worked well for him, if he didn't have it, he would be asking for food all the time.

We have had to raise everything out of arms reach in the pantry... like the jar of peanut butter. And hidden things in the veggie drawer in the fridge.

We have also got a large array of chewable toys, and his favourite is a twirly cord necklace, similar to an old phone cord.

It's very trial and error and you will find things they might like one day, they hate the next. For example DS2 used to eat Lasagnia he likes to eat it one row at a time. Now we will only eat the white sauce off the top and leave everything.

His lunch boxes are EXTREMELY difficult to fill...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mod-Degrassi, thanks for the wave
    It was a week I'd rather forget, very difficult, lots of tears.
    DS had a speech delay picked up at his 18month CHN check. We saw a private speech and just checked in every 6 months. He seemed to be catching up but we started to notice a lot of echolalia, and his expressive language was far below his receptive level. When he was 3.5 and nearly ready for kindy (WA) I had him see the speech again for another check in. They suggested an OT assessment and a paediatrician review. I was worried at this stage, but had no idea about autism and language delay really. When we saw the GP for the referral, they told me not to worry. You know, the usual boys talk later and Einstein didn't speak until he was four blah blah blah.
    I had some concerns about my DD1 by this stage, so I mentioned her to my GP at the same visit. She had speech regression from 18 months. Gain, I was told it was probably nothing and to come back in a few months if I was worried. I was made to feel like milestones were a waste of time and that 'real' issues would be picked up accordingly.
    I was worried, my DS starting kindy and I was pregnant about to have DD2.
    We saw the OT but they didn't express any real concerns. DS had a great time playing, and sat and took direction well. The only thing they mentioned to me was poor pencil grip and reduced motor planning. But that's pretty vague really, I believe many children at that age would have this issue to some degree.
    We saw the paediatrician about 2 months into the school term. His teacher did express some concern and was always in touch with me making sure I had the ball rolling. She was amazing. The paed told us at this visit that he thought DS had some autistic traits, and did we want to look at getting a diagnosis. I knew at that point it was what it was. I think DH was hoping still he was just borderline, but realised during the diagnostic process this was not the case. We went home in shock and the next day I lost the plot. Not because of DS, but I knew in my heart that this was the issue for my sweet little DD1.
    We got a referral the next day and managed to get a cancellation at the paed within the week. I am so glad it all happened so fast, as much as it was absolutely horrible, I wanted to get them the help they needed.
    Then came the guilt, why didn't I see any of this earlier? DD1 had quite obvious behaviours, that's why it was picked up at an earlier age. She stacked her toys, didn't like anyone else besides DH and myself. Not even aunts, uncles or grandparents. When friends came over, even as a baby, she would cry and turn away. She hated lots of people even from about 8 months of age. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. I try not to blame myself, and they are in therapy now. We got everything started very quickly, my DH can be so great getting things done. While I was dealing with a newborn, he sorted diagnosis appointments, funding paperwork, and school aid time.
    We have changed a few things around for DD1 in regards to therapy. She is a sensory seeker, always chewing something, likes spinning, swinging and lots of deep pressure.
    DS is very bright, hyperlexic and is making huge gains at school. He loves learning and is quite affectionate and social.
    Recently DD1 has been very affectionate and hand leading us to what she wants or where she wants to go. She has emerging language, is very vocal and babbles all the time. We have around 20 words and have begun some PECS too.
    Sorry for the novel, it's great to chat with you all as you understand
    Thanks xo

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jbeep For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (22-10-2016),sajimum  (23-10-2016),White Mage  (23-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to add my two are very picky eaters. They used to eat well as babies, but when they hit two years old, it's like a switch flipped.
    They are difficult to get to try new things, DS is worse at this than DD.
    They eat toast and the same cereal for breakfast. Will always eat yoghurt and cheese.
    They will eat a sandwich for lunch, banana is the only fruit DS will eat. DD1 will eat diced peaches also. Biscuits are what they prefer for snack
    Dinner is hard.....chicken nuggets and hashbrowns at the moment.
    DD1 always has something in her mouth. I got her some chew bead necklaces and this has helped a bit. But she's started pulling them off lately. A work in progress
    We have a lock on our fridge and pantry, it keeps my sanity intact!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbeep For This Useful Post:

White Mage  (23-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi rosaliened,

I'm pretty new to all this too. But I'd just like to share my experience with my DS who was sick recently. He had a run of nasty viruses over the winter. He started kindy this year and had only had one year of home daycare once a week with maximum of four kids. So he hasn't been exposed to a lot of bugs as a baby.
    So this winter we were hit with it all.
    He was quite lethargic for a few days in a row at the worst time. He would only have a few sips of water and lay on the couch all day. This is so unlike him normally!!!
    I had a locum dr out to our house to see him twice. He was only eating a bite of toast here and there, or a couple of plain biscuits.
    I was quite worried about his hydration so called them back. He had high fevers also.
    They told me if he didn't improve by the morning he would need to go to hospital for hydration, either naso gastric tube or IV. I was horrified, I thought he would be so scared if we had to do this. But he picked up the next day and increased his fluids.

I think if you are worried trust your gut and get her checked out. I don't know if ASD kids are more at risk due to fussy eating, but it is something to factor in when you're dealing with illness.

Sorry if I can't be more help, just thought I'd share my story and offer support

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbeep For This Useful Post:

White Mage  (23-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Welcome @Jbeep - what a year you've had going through the diagnostic process twice so closely together. It's such an emotional time. I hope you find the forum useful and supportive. I have a 6 year old DD who was diagnosed last year. She's in her first year of school this year and loving it so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi @Jbeep the diagnosis I found very hard. What sort of funding do you get?

In Tasmania we get some Medicare funded counselling sessions even for myself and DD under ds's diagnosis. Maybe u could ask at your autism centre?

We have our funding now and I'm not sure if we should go private or public? What does everyone think? We can't get public until next year!!!!

I'm super stressed. I've put kids into small FDC here it's little Montessori and I just love it. I just think teaching ds little life skills will benefit him so much. And just the pace he wants to go right now.

We are thinking of doing the big lap (Aus) I want to go before kids start school. There are few Aspergers/ASD mums on the travelling page. So I don't feel too worried.

If any of u have FB there is few ASD pages.

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @Jbeep My 2 are/were pretty bad.
    My eldest was sick with ear infections constantly until he got grommets put in before he turned 2, but he had asthma. Every time the nose started to run that very evening he would wake up at night with an asthma attack.
    We canceled his 1st bday party because he had hand foot and mouth disease.
    I also quit my job because every week he was sick and I had to take days off.
    It was until he was 4 things died down and everything was fine.
    With DS2 he has had ear infections back to back since he turned one. And was hospitalized with croup for 4 days.
    Due to all of his sensory seeking we having gone in for foam up the nose 4 times and a burn on the arm.
    We are on the wait list with the royal children's for grommets, adenoids, tonsells removal as well as a special hearing test to check there is no permanent damage to his ear drums.
    He has a high threshold to pain so the amount of ear infections are unknown.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @sajimum

Thanks for the welcome I'm in WA and my DS is a June baby, so he started kindy this year at 3.5 yrs old. He struggled to begin with due to communication barriers, but since diagnosis and extra aid support he has really come along nicely. He reads so well, and is eager to learn. He has an amazing memory and the children in his class ask his teacher 'why doe DS know everything!?'

Hi @monnie24,
    We have state and federal funding which totals $12k. I believe this is the HCWA package. We use this and also pay for things ourselves. We get some back from private health cover. We tweaked it this year to make the most of the therapy claims. I know about the Medicare we can use, but are saving it for later
    I'm interested in Montessori for my DD. DS is doing well in main****** kindy so I think I will keep him there. His peers know him and they are great with him, so I don't want to risk losing that. As long as he is coping I won't move him.
    We have a special education centre attached to Montessori in my state, so I am considering this. DD would start kindy here in WA 2018 when she is 4. Over here kids start kindy the year they turn 4 before June 30 of that year. My DS had to start when he was 3.5 which was daunting enough. Kindy is not compulsory, but pre primary the following year is and this is regardless if they went to kindy or not. So I thought it would be worse sending him next year full time with no prior school exposure.
    At least DD is a November baby so she will be older when she starts. She only has about 20 words, and is more difficult to engage and sit still to stay on task. But she has made some progression with this since diagnosis
    Hats off to you if you do end up travelling. I find it difficult to take my three out on my own simply due to their young ages and DD still runs off!

Hi @ White Mage,

You sound like a seasoned pro when it comes to dealing with child illnesses. That sounds like a really difficult situation. I guess I'm lucky to have avoided the hospital so far but two experiences. DD got a metal ring stuck on a tooth (she mouths everything!) and it had to be removed by them while wrapping her in a sheet
    And DS had croup, which he's had before, but this time was bad enough to visit the E.D.
    But really, I can say I've been lucky with avoiding sickness in my kids.
    They both got HFM last year but it was mild.
    I hope things pick up for your family and the grommets help DS2. Also, I hope you don't have to wait too long. All the best, and keep us informed

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbeep For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (25-10-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    IMG_1477361434.677929.jpg

Got our transition information this morning.
    It looks so formal considering my son is the only child starting here next year haha. But it was good. I had a lot of input into this is the principal worked with me to work out how I thought my son would best cope.

He'll just be going on the bus with his brother in the morning and I will go get him after recess. We decided we will put him in uniform too, so he doesn't feel like he is sticking out.

I'm excited and scared and argh just overwhelmed at the moment ha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Attachment 85684

Got our transition information this morning.
    It looks so formal considering my son is the only child starting here next year haha. But it was good. I had a lot of input into this is the principal worked with me to work out how I thought my son would best cope.

He'll just be going on the bus with his brother in the morning and I will go get him after recess. We decided we will put him in uniform too, so he doesn't feel like he is sticking out.

I'm excited and scared and argh just overwhelmed at the moment ha
    That sounds like a fantastic transition program. It's great that you had such a part in creating it. How do you think he will go on the bus?

I have a meeting with DD's teacher this term to discuss transition to grade 1 and choice of teachers for next year. Scary that this time of year comes around so quickly!