+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Far North QLD
    Posts
    2,307
    Thanks
    2,011
    Thanked
    2,030
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing, just know you're doing a great job

    I have a 4.5 month daughter & I'm in no position to offer advice as I'm still learning myself but she's had a sleep regression too which is so frustrating!

    She's gone from waking once a night to about 3-4 times (seems to differ each night).

    I used to put her down to sleep at 7pm but lately I've moved her bedtime earlier & it seems to be working ok for us. The days where she is super cranky I've started the process of bathing her at 5.30pm, then dress/swaddle her, feed her & she seems to go to sleep after having a feed. I don't know why but for us moving it forward seems to have made the world of difference although I'm probably creating bad habits.

    I say trial & error & do whatever works for you & your baby. It can be so hard when they don't sleep well particularly during the day. My poor dd will get really over tired during the day & fight sleep. Some days she'll fall asleep in my arms & others I'll put her in her cot, she'll get upset but then finally falls asleep. I usually don't leave her for long though & some days I'll put her in her pram around the house & she sometimes goes to sleep too

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

    nh2489  (12-11-2015)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    1,309
    Thanked
    533
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Does it seem like your baby prefers to tummy sleep? Is this something you could play with for naps? Perhaps with a breathing monitor for your own anxiety?
    I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea due to SIDS risk but my DD sleeps really well on her tummy. Maybe an option for day naps when you are supervising the baby. Did bubs ever end up on belly when he wasn't swaddled?

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

    nh2489  (12-11-2015)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5,207
    Thanks
    11,205
    Thanked
    5,442
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default 4 month baby will only sleep on me

    @nh2489 the sleep easy solution book (basically a cc guide) advises you can sleep train from 4 months to sleep through the night as long as baby is 15b/6.8 kg (otherwise give a dream feed)

    With dd1 I did cc around that age to teach her to self settle - I took the dummy away at this time too. She was a nightmare to put down and was waking 8-10 times a night and I was shattered. It worked great- I still
    continued night feeds at that age but I was able to put her down in her cot and walk away

    Each to their own though, I never ever thought I'd do cc, particularly at that age, but something had to change before I threw dd1 out the window (or worse).

    Eta: her night wakings went from 8+ a night to waking twice for feeds
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-11-2015 at 09:13.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

    nh2489  (12-11-2015)

  7. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,879
    Thanks
    5,206
    Thanked
    3,905
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea due to SIDS risk but my DD sleeps really well on her tummy. Maybe an option for day naps when you are supervising the baby. Did bubs ever end up on belly when he wasn't swaddled?
    Both my older girls were tummy sleepers as soon as they could roll. As they always slept within arms reach I was never worried.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    nh2489  (12-11-2015)

  9. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    791
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked
    368
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everybody. As he's my second baby and I went through a similar time with my first I know why he's doing what he's doing, it's just so hard to alter things at the moment. He's so bad right now that he's taking about an hour to go in his cot (he will fall asleep on me then as soon as he's in his cot wakes up so I have to repeat this 3-4 times) and waking at least 1-2 hourly with the only way to settle being a feed lying on me. Then when I try to transfer him as it kills my back lying flat he wakes up again so it's back to trying to settle. I'm just so shattered. I've got a fitness moniptr that tracks sleep and most nights I get 2-4 hours a night. I've got family staying at the moment so when they leave in a couple of weeks I'm going to try cc/responsive settling as it worked so well. I've been trying more gentle methods such as shush pat etc but it just isn't working and I can't sit by his cot for hours doing it. Also he's at the point now where he's so fed up of not being able to self settle that he just becomes hysterical as soon as I pick him up so no amount of cuddling/rocking etc works. These babies!!!

  10. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    3,273
    Thanks
    1,892
    Thanked
    1,918
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Thanks everybody. As he's my second baby and I went through a similar time with my first I know why he's doing what he's doing, it's just so hard to alter things at the moment. He's so bad right now that he's taking about an hour to go in his cot (he will fall asleep on me then as soon as he's in his cot wakes up so I have to repeat this 3-4 times) and waking at least 1-2 hourly with the only way to settle being a feed lying on me. Then when I try to transfer him as it kills my back lying flat he wakes up again so it's back to trying to settle. I'm just so shattered. I've got a fitness moniptr that tracks sleep and most nights I get 2-4 hours a night. I've got family staying at the moment so when they leave in a couple of weeks I'm going to try cc/responsive settling as it worked so well. I've been trying more gentle methods such as shush pat etc but it just isn't working and I can't sit by his cot for hours doing it. Also he's at the point now where he's so fed up of not being able to self settle that he just becomes hysterical as soon as I pick him up so no amount of cuddling/rocking etc works. These babies!!!
    good luck. the only other thing i can think of is the My Little Lamb FisherPrice swing. I used to get great sleeps out of DS once he got used to it because it just keeps swinging. Unfortunately he's too heavy for it now.

    you can usually get these off gumtree or FB BSS pages.

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,067
    Thanks
    9,846
    Thanked
    12,964
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Thanks everybody. As he's my second baby and I went through a similar time with my first I know why he's doing what he's doing, it's just so hard to alter things at the moment. He's so bad right now that he's taking about an hour to go in his cot (he will fall asleep on me then as soon as he's in his cot wakes up so I have to repeat this 3-4 times) and waking at least 1-2 hourly with the only way to settle being a feed lying on me. Then when I try to transfer him as it kills my back lying flat he wakes up again so it's back to trying to settle. I'm just so shattered. I've got a fitness moniptr that tracks sleep and most nights I get 2-4 hours a night. I've got family staying at the moment so when they leave in a couple of weeks I'm going to try cc/responsive settling as it worked so well. I've been trying more gentle methods such as shush pat etc but it just isn't working and I can't sit by his cot for hours doing it. Also he's at the point now where he's so fed up of not being able to self settle that he just becomes hysterical as soon as I pick him up so no amount of cuddling/rocking etc works. These babies!!!
    Hey nh. Transferring a bub to a different location after bub falls asleep is a common cause of waking. While your family are there is there anyway you could pop bub to bed earlier at the first signs of tiredness so bub doesn't have to fall asleep on you?

    Are your family helping out with your toddler while they are staying?

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    791
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked
    368
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Hey nh. Transferring a bub to a different location after bub falls asleep is a common cause of waking. While your family are there is there anyway you could pop bub to bed earlier at the first signs of tiredness so bub doesn't have to fall asleep on you?

    Are your family helping out with your toddler while they are staying?
    Yep I know everything I'm doing is wrong and I'm so annoyed I've got to this point. I started trying to get him to self settle at 8 weeks and could put him in his cot awake after a feed at night and he would go to sleep within a few minutes. If I had the chance during the day I was doing the same and having varying success. It seems that when he hit the 4 month sleep regression and I started to unswaddle him things went drastically downhill.
    The main problem right now is that he just starts crying hysterically as soon as he goes in the cot even if he doesn't seem overtired. I've tried the pick up put down but it just hasn't been working and then I lose it when he eventually looks like he's going to nod off and my toddler comes crashing in and I'm back to square one having wasted about 30 mins. So it's just gradually got to the point where I'm at now as I've not had the energy or possibility to see it through. Which is why I feel that cc is the only option as we need to get him to self settle and sleep without all the associations he's got now.
    So in a few weeks when he's nearing 6 months I'll do what I did before with my ds1 and I'll let you all know how it goes!

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    3,273
    Thanks
    1,892
    Thanked
    1,918
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Hey just a thought, will he fall asleep if you feed lying down in the middle of your bed? I know it's a naughty thing to do but occasionally I feed DS to sleep like this and I can then get up if I'm super Ninja and he stays asleep within a pillow fort.

    I then keep an eye on him with a video monitor so if he wakes I can go back in there before he has a chance to roll off but I jus thought this might be worth you trying? If only to teach him he doesn't need to actually be on top of you to nap...

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

    misskittyfantastico  (13-11-2015),nh2489  (13-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-11-2015)

  15. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,553
    Thanks
    4,762
    Thanked
    1,256
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Hey just a thought, will he fall asleep if you feed lying down in the middle of your bed? I know it's a naughty thing to do but occasionally I feed DS to sleep like this and I can then get up if I'm super Ninja and he stays asleep within a pillow fort.

    I then keep an eye on him with a video monitor so if he wakes I can go back in there before he has a chance to roll off but I jus thought this might be worth you trying? If only to teach him he doesn't need to actually be on top of you to nap...
    I did this with both my kids. DS ended up being a super napper and it was a lot less stressful on me.


 

Similar Threads

  1. How much does your 4 month old sleep?
    By Wanting2b in forum Babies (3 - 6 months)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 19:43
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 22-04-2015, 12:24
  3. Help with sleep for 3.5 month old
    By Gracie81 in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-02-2015, 11:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Maternity ClothesLooking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
ok or too young?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
IVF Babies Due in April/May/June 2018pregnancy and babies through IVF
IVF Babies due Sep/Oct/Nov 2017 #3pregnancy and babies through IVF
Delightful DecemberConception & Fertility General Chat
Hey!Introductions
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›