+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 218
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,244
    Thanks
    6,365
    Thanked
    17,643
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yeah it's such a mine field isn't it? Which is why I'm so torn on all of this. I don't put depression or genetic issues in the same basket as drug use though. Depression is not a choice and can be managed with meds that are safe for the baby. Genetic issues don't always mean the child will have the syndrome and there is IVF genetic testing now.

    I know what you mean though.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (05-11-2015)

  3. #202
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,669
    Thanks
    2,732
    Thanked
    2,493
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Yep. It could only happen once the foetus was capable of life outside the womb. .
    The problem with that though is that a lot of damage can be done before then - isn't viability somewhere around 24-25 weeks? That means that the mother could drink/do drugs for that time, inflicting damage all the while, and not be 'detained' or prosecuted until it's too late. Damagewould already be done.

    There's really just no easy answer to any of it....

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (05-11-2015)

  5. #203
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yeah it's such a mine field isn't it? Which is why I'm so torn on all of this. I don't put depression or genetic issues in the same basket as drug use though. Depression is not a choice and can be managed with meds that are safe for the baby. Genetic issues don't always mean the child will have the syndrome and there is IVF genetic testing now.

    I know what you mean though.
    But if the alcoholism comes from depression what's the difference? Coming from a family half of which are chronic alcoholics I don't see it as simple as "oh I'm pregnant I'll just stop drinking".

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (05-11-2015)

  7. #204
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    23,244
    Thanks
    6,365
    Thanked
    17,643
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But if the alcoholism comes from depression what's the difference? Coming from a family half of which are chronic alcoholics I don't see it as simple as "oh I'm pregnant I'll just stop drinking".
    True. I come from a family of alcoholics too, as does DH. Both sides have women who self medicated for PND which wasn't recognised back then. I firmly believe the woman on my side had one child with very mild FAS. Both women were loving women who were just chronic alcoholics.

    When it comes to social welfare you have to spend money to save money. I can't count the times our agencies begged for govt funds to run early intervention programs. But we were always told it was "too expensive". Ironically the cost of early intervention programs (and not just with substance abuse) is much less than what the govt spends later on. The topic p*sses me off

  8. #205
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    The problem with that though is that a lot of damage can be done before then - isn't viability somewhere around 24-25 weeks? That means that the mother could drink/do drugs for that time, inflicting damage all the while, and not be 'detained' or prosecuted until it's too late. Damagewould already be done.

    There's really just no easy answer to any of it....
    While I agree I don't have the answers.

  9. #206
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    The problem with that though is that a lot of damage can be done before then - isn't viability somewhere around 24-25 weeks? That means that the mother could drink/do drugs for that time, inflicting damage all the while, and not be 'detained' or prosecuted until it's too late. Damagewould already be done.

    There's really just no easy answer to any of it....
    What would you like to see happen?

  10. #207
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,669
    Thanks
    2,732
    Thanked
    2,493
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    What would you like to see happen?
    I don't know...

    But I'm studying a Bachelor of Human Services with a view to going into social work, specialising in children & families. I want to work with families who are affected by drug and alcohol issues. So give me 10 years, I may have some answers then! (...but maybe I'll just have more questions..???)

  11. #208
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,006
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I don't know...

    But I'm studying a Bachelor of Human Services with a view to going into social work, specialising in children & families. I want to work with families who are affected by drug and alcohol issues. So give me 10 years, I may have some answers then! (...but maybe I'll just have more questions..???)
    edited for privacy.

    The reality is there is little to no support for alcoholics in this country. It's ridiculous. I hope people like you can bring about some real change.
    Last edited by Sonja; 06-11-2015 at 13:24.

  12. #209
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,669
    Thanks
    2,732
    Thanked
    2,493
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's so sad @Sonja

    It's very true that we don't have enough support out there for alcoholics. I don't know whether this is because of our culture surrounding alcohol in Australia...? We view drinking alcohol as a recreation, so it's not viewed as a serious threat like Ice for example, even though it affects more people...

    I wish I had the answers to this...

  13. #210
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,205
    Thanks
    1,433
    Thanked
    7,830
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What about AA? My sister is sober (must be close to 15 years now) because of AA.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sewing - bias binding around corners
    By heartstringz in forum Crafts and Hobbies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2015, 15:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Shapland Swim SchoolsSemi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›