+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Easter, Christmas and Halloween are all pagan in origin.

The bible never mentions celebrating Jesus birth at all, it doesn't even give us a date. Yet his death we were instructed to commemorate and a date,was given. That being said much of easter today is pagan in origin, not christian nor anything to do with Jesus and the meaning of the occasion.

Halloween is not mentioned no but due to its origins and non biblical customs / beliefs, I would never celebrate it.
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 08-11-2015 at 18:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I was about to mention something similar - but there are religious meanings to both Christmas and Easter - but if you do Santa and Eater eggs/bunnies well then that has nothing to do with the bible..
    Exactly, christmas and easter have religious meanings. The stories behind them are mentioned in the bible so they are celebrated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Exactly, christmas and easter have religious meanings. The stories behind them are mentioned in the bible so they are celebrated
    But my point is that the way we celebrate it is not mentioned in the bible.

We have no idea on the date Jesus was born or died. But religion has 'taken' the idea of what was originally Pagan celebrations and tried to make it their own.

Which is why I said that the way we celebrate Christmas and Easter is not in the Bible.

Don't get me wrong - I have no issue with how anyone celebrates Christmas/Easter/Halloween. Everyone has a different belief and thats fine. Just pointing out that religious celebrations are not just based from the Bible.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

DT75  (09-11-2015),SoThisIsLove  (08-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Yes but the problem is they have been fused with false religious teachings under the guise of Christianity. The origins are deeply rooted in worship to pagan gods. Certainly not something the God of the bible ( who I believe to be the one true god and creator) would approve of.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (08-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But my point is that the way we celebrate it is not mentioned in the bible.

We have no idea on the date Jesus was born or died. But religion has 'taken' the idea of what was originally Pagan celebrations and tried to make it their own.

Which is why I said that the way we celebrate Christmas and Easter is not in the Bible.

Don't get me wrong - I have no issue with how anyone celebrates Christmas/Easter/Halloween. Everyone has a different belief and thats fine. Just pointing out that religious celebrations are not just based from the Bible.
    We do have the date of Jesus death. Its in the bible. On the Jewish calendar its Nisan 14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's interesting as my girls attend an Anglican school which isn't very religious (they do 40 minutes a week) and their RE teacher taught them about the origins of Halloween the week leading up to Halloween. They study all different religions and beliefs though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    We do have the date of Jesus death. Its in the bible. On the Jewish calendar its Nisan 14.
    There we go. I am not an expert in this whatsoever! Do we have the date of birth? Or is that more difficult since he was a 'nobody' (please do not get offended at this term but I would suspect the world did not know who it was so at the time he was nobody) and there was no record?

Also, sorry this is off track now. On track - does anyone have pics of their kiddies/themselves dresses up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There we go. I am not an expert in this whatsoever! Do we have the date of birth? Or is that more difficult since he was a 'nobody' (please do not get offended at this term but I would suspect the world did not know who it was so at the time he was nobody) and there was no record?

Also, sorry this is off track now. On track - does anyone have pics of their kiddies/themselves dresses up?
    No date of birth is recorded in the bible no. Nor any mention of celebrating it. In fact there's no record of any of Jesus followers celebrating anyone's birthday at all as its also a pagan custom.

All we know is that his birth was most likely sometime in October as it mentions that the Shepards were out tending to their sheep. In December in that part of the world it would of been far too cold for the flocks to even be outdoors. Also the nativity story / scene isn't accurate to what the bible says either! 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieMollyMandy View Post
    For us it's because we're Catholic and it's not a Christian festival. Don't mind what others do though!
    Interesting- neither is Christmas (despite the name), Easter or celebrating birthdays. Adapted as Christian celebrations perhaps, but very deeply pagan in origin.

There is something, and no I don't know what, that has pointed theologians and theorists at a March date of birth- something to do with the census which occurred during that period of the year.

Halloween is still very big in Ireland- I remember the festivals growing up Even the churches got in on it- All Saints Day is the following day, there would be a mass on Halloween (and Nov 1st) and instead of a collection there was sweets for the kids handed out.

We don't celebrate Halloween mainly because it is H's birthday, and the kids would rather have a birthday party, than wander the neighbourhood with only 1 out of every 10 answering their knock.
    Last edited by DT75; 09-11-2015 at 10:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Interesting- neither is Christmas (despite the name), Easter or celebrating birthdays. Adapted as Christian celebrations perhaps, but very deeply pagan in origin.

There is something, and no I don't know what, that has pointed theologians and theorists at a March date of birth- something to do with the census which occurred during that period of the year.

Actually ( not trying to argue - history just really interests me) but you are right there was a census around the time of Jesus birth which again provides more evidence that his birth was not in winter as most were required to travel to their nearest city to register and wouldn't have been required in the dead of winter to make such a journey.

But March comes up as approximate birth month of John (Jesus' cousin) which helps us to see why Sept / Oct is the most likely time of Jesus birth.

Since Elizabeth (John’s mother) was in her sixth month of pregnancy when Jesus was conceived , we can determine the approximate time of year Jesus was born if we know when John was born. John’s father, Zacharias, was a priest serving in the Jerusalem temple during the course of Abijah. Historical calculations indicate this course of service corresponded to June 13-19 in that year.

It was during this time of temple service that Zacharias learned that he and his wife Elizabeth would have a child. After he completed his service and traveled home, Elizabeth conceived. Assuming John’s conception took place near the end of June, adding nine months brings us to the end of March as the most likely time for John’s birth. Adding another six months (the difference in ages between John and Jesus) brings us to the end of September as the likely time of Jesus’ birth.

But it's all a bit of a guess. All that's known is that it couldn't have been anywhere near the date of December 25. That was chosen as it was the holiday that pagans celebrated the birthday of the unconquered sun ( or something like that)
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 09-11-2015 at 14:29.